I've seen some guitars on the Internet with bodies made of "Solid Chinese Wood". What wood is that? Anybody tried playing one before? How's the tone ?
Last edited by billyfieldman at Nov 22, 2009,
Care to link one so we can see what it's on about. Sounds like dodgy counterfeits though.
It is probably referring to Paulownia wood. It is a very lightweight but strong wood. Traben uses it in some of their basses.
We have all seen these descriptions else where "body made of 'tonewood". It could be anything as china imports any wood they are gonna use to build things. Whatever it is its gonna be the cheapest they could find. If they cant say what kind of wood you probably dont want it.
If you don't know it, you don't buy it. Simple rule.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Scrap wood.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
It could be anything, I think it's mainly a lack in good translation. If you ever read these adds from companies in China it's like a 2 year old wrote it. Most of the guitars made in China are usually some type of Mahogany ??: Eastern, NATO, African, Luan they all have close to the same characteristics as real Mahogany. It could be other wood like Alder, basswood, ash, Paulownia and a few other I can't think of. If I was to call a wood as Chinese I guess Paulownia but it is actually pretty good I have a DEAN made of it and it has a surprising tone quality and very good sustain.

Most likely it's not Cuban and Honduras mahogany, they are still harvested, under restriction, because of rarity it's far too expensive and only used by very high end guitar companies like Gibson.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 22, 2009,
I had a cheap chinese strat copy and it was made from chinese elm.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Tackleberry
We have all seen these descriptions else where "body made of 'tonewood". It could be anything as china imports any wood they are gonna use to build things. Whatever it is its gonna be the cheapest they could find. If they cant say what kind of wood you probably dont want it.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?