Uhh been playing for a little bit, just learning some easy riffs and stuff. I want to get better now but I don't know what to practice and what will actually make a difference. I Interested in mostly metal, so I need to know how to gallop and how to get faster. What do you recommend?

-Alm
well, try and learn songs you like, pick easy ones then harder ones. Don't give up if it seems too hard. There's lots of lessons here on UG.

Find and learn scales that help you play what's in your head.(Recommend that you learn the major scale first)

Learn modes and how they fit into each other in scales.

Practice your picking and muting until you're satisfied with what you hear.

I know it sounds like a drag, but learn theory!

Practice slowly and speed up when you're confident enough. Metronome helps.

Remember no one just gets good at guitar, it takes years.

So have fun and good luck.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Check out the techniques sticky. Learn harder songs (obviously not too hard) that you like. Search youtube for lessons on techniques you're having trouble with or want a visual lesson on.

Quote by Alm3ga
How willing learning scales improve my playing?

Everything is built off them. It will allow you to invoke certain feelings, develop finger permutations, and most importantly not sound like ass. Check out some basic theory and learn your favorite songs.

The Guide To All Techniques
The Crusade
Music Theory FAQ
Freepower's video lessons
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 22, 2009,
Scales dude, get your alternate picking down. This is one of the most useful excercises I've learned and I hope I explain this right....

Try to find the A minor scale (or aeolion mode), it should look like this

----------------------------------------5-7-8----
--------------------------------5-6-8------------
--------------------------5-7--------------------
------------------5-7-9-------------------------
----------5-7-8---------------------------------
--5-7-8-----------------------------------------

First, practice that up and down and once you know it in and out, do this as an picking excercise. Play the first 3 notes of the scale, then go to the second note in the scale and play the next notes, then the third note, 3 notes, and so on and so forth. It should be something like this.

---------------------------------------------------
----------------------5------5--7--5--7--8-----
--5--7--8---7--8-------8-----------------------

Practice that all the way down and up. Also, learn covers, I know there will be a lot of cover song nazis that will hate on me for saying this, but every good guitarist started out playing covers. Playing covers pushes you as a musician and helps you progress a lot faster and helps you understand music more. If you don't play covers your just going to be in a rut of playing notes, progressions, chords, etc. that you're already familiar with, playiong covers will help you understand how scales, chords, etc. can work together in a creative fashion.

With that being said the major song that helped me improve as a guitarist was Orion by Metallica. It's an easy enough song to learn but hard enough to push you.

Anyways, I hope this was all useful, peace.
Umm.. When someone makes a solo do they take certain notes, or certain series of notes from a scale?
Quote by Alm3ga
I Interested in mostly metal, so I need to know how to gallop and how to get faster.

Metal is a waaaaaaaay overused term, what you mean is NWOBM or thrash or similar, right? This is actually only a faster version of metal, as real metal is actually quite slow.

If you want to get faster, I recommend you buy a metronome, and practice everyday.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Metal is a waaaaaaaay overused term, what you mean is NWOBM or thrash or similar, right? This is actually only a faster version of metal, as real metal is actually quite slow.

If you want to get faster, I recommend you buy a metronome, and practice everyday.

about the metronome, dont forget that metronomes are available to use online really easy just google it lol like for example: http://www.metronomeonline.com/
I was going to say thrash metal/Heavy metal, but I didn't I used metal because I like a lot of different 'metal'. Ac/Dc. Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath.
I know there are a lot of sub genres but they take stuff from other genres and use it.
For galloping I would really start slowly with a metronome
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
It just keeps the time for you. Play E- 0-00 on each click
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
check youtube (justinsandercoe) for metronome lessons. always search youtube for lessons on what you need, it always comes in handy. try some galloping and pedal tones, throwing intervals/chords in between making a rhythm or hitting notes in between making a melody.