Ok, I think I need to upgrade my Roland cube 15 to a better amp. I live in australia and everything here is expensive. I'm really stuck on what type I should get, modler or tube. I need an amp that woould last me a long time and is versatile. I could probally spend $1000 AUD at the most. And I play a lot of Muse and RHCP and I like ratm and tool too. So please recomend me an amp!
Quote by museiscool
Ok, I think I need to upgrade my Roland cube 15 to a better amp. I live in australia and everything here is expensive. I'm really stuck on what type I should get, modler or tube. I need an amp that woould last me a long time and is versatile. I could probally spend $1000 AUD at the most. And I play a lot of Muse and RHCP and I like ratm and tool too. So please recomend me an amp!

For $1000 AUS you can get a few valve amps like.

Bugera 333XL
Bugera 6260
Bugera 6262
Peavey Valveking 112, 212 or Head.
B-52 (If you can find one)

And that's new from stores. I would recommend going with tube, it just sounds better and it'll save you from upgrading in the future.

But just so you know, Bugera's reliability sucks, which is why i have a VK.

PS. a Valveking 112 you could probably snag for around $600 new
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Nov 22, 2009,
I'm afraid I have no idea about Australian prices but if you can give me a link to a good website you could order from in Australia I'd be happy to offer an opinion of what falls into your price category.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Fender HRD(1300), Blues Jnr(900), Marshall DSL401(1200), Marshall Haze40(1000) Vox Ac15CC(1000), Vox AC30CC(1800), Bugera V55(800), Peavey Classic30(1300), Peavey Classic50(1600), Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack(1000), Vox VT100(1000). these are Australian prices of amps i looked at and most of these are tube amps, except the vox VT
I looked at the fender blues jnr, but its only 1 channel! i need distortion too without buying a pedal.
Is the Blackstar HT-5 good? or the peavey classic?

oh yeah this will probally only be played in my bedroom so not anything with too high wattage

also $1000 may be a bit too much, mabye 800
Last edited by museiscool at Nov 22, 2009,
Thanks for that, it helps a lot. Here's some initial thoughts:

Firstly, you need to think about what you want the amp for. If you're not playing live gigs then you could argue that some sort of modeller may work best for you as it gives you a wide array of sounds that can be played at reasonable volumes. At the kind of price you're talking about you could still get quite a powerful amp so it could be adapted for gigging later on. Ones that fall into that category on the websites you've mentioned would be things like the Vox Valvetronix series, especially if it's the new VT series. They're reliable and offer a wide variety of sounds that are very valve-like in their tone. Older spec ones aren't as good at high gain but these new VT amps are better. I didn't notice them on the sites you mentioned but the Peavey Vypyr series would also be one to look at as it's superb and for the money you have, you could get a powerful version that could be used in both the home and live.

Another possibility on the sites you gave me would be a Marshall Valvestate. Like the Vox it is a hybrid amp but it doesn't have the modelling options. Instead it just gives you that core Marshall tone, which for many is fine. I stress this is the AVT series and NOT an MG, which isn't in the same league at all in my opinion. The other guitarist in my band uses one of these and although it can sound a bit fizzy at times, overall it does a very good job and takes pedals well. As a hybrid it will be fine for use in the home and on stage if needed as long as the gigs aren't too big as your budget would only seem to get you a 50w.

A full valve amp will undoubtedly offer you the best tone and a 50w valve amp will go way louder than 50w solid state or hybrid. I've heard many people say that 50w valve is more like 100w solid state but whatever it is, a valve amp goes louder. Not only that, in a live situation, a valve amp will cut through the mix far better. As an example, the other guitarist in my band uses a 100w Valvestate Marshall going through a 4X12 while I use a 40w valve amp through only a 1X12 and remarkable as it may seem, as long as my amp is raised off the floor, I can be heard just fine and maintain superior tone. However, valve amps do have limitations. To get the best out of the tone they like to be cranked. Whereas the tone on a solid state or hybrid amp deteriorates as it gets louder, the tone of a valve amp actually improves. That's great but it does mean that playing at bedroom levels is more of a compromise. That isn't to say it can't be done, it just means you have to accept that your live settings are totally different to your bedroom settings and it will be reasonably loud in the home. They just don't work at whisper volumes. The Peavey Valve King is the cheapest new valve amp you can buy, which is why I tried that one first but I just wasn't impressed at all. It did what it should I guess but it never gave me that sense of valve magic. What really caught my eye on the Billy Hyde website was my own amp, a Marshall DSL401. In this country the AVT Marshall's are quite a bit cheaper than a DSL (unless it's really high wattage) but in Australia there only seems to be a couple of hundred dollars difference. For just $189 over your budget I'd go with that for sure. The tone is very good (though it takes upgrades to valves and speakers well), it works well at bedroom levels, takes pedals beautifully and live it's awesome. I know it sounds awfully convenient that I suggest my own amp but I've looked at both websites and I can't see anything I'd take for that kind of money before a Marshall DSL401. It really is a good amp.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it and if you have any questions about a DSL, by all means ask me.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Are you looking into forming a band and gigging in the future?

Vox VT50 is around 650, it has alot of effects, that's if you don't want to invest into pedals.
it has like alot of sound from jazz tones to metal.

Not to sure on the HT-5 thou, people say its pretty good, but i haven't heard it first hand.
Last edited by Bashkar at Nov 22, 2009,
Yeah, I thought about the vox vt series but I would get the 30 watt one because it's only for the bedroom and it's cheaper. Would the vt30 be good for me and be worth keeping? All appreciation would he great.
The VT30 is a very good amp and would always be worth keeping as a practice amp but other than that it's not one you'll stick with long term, simply because it's just not powerful enough for gigging. If you have aspirations to play live then the Vox VT30 is a good short term option as it does what you need it to and it is relatively cheap at only $500 but sooner or later you'll be back looking for an amp to gig with. When you do that you'll still need to be spending at least $1000 to get something decent. Something like the Marshall DSL401 certainly costs more now and is a touch more compromised at bedroom levels (though it's still good) but when you're ready to gig, you have an amp that's ready to go and you don't need any further investment.

There are clearly arguments on both sides so ultimately it's up to you.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
50w isnt loud =]

the vt30 should cost about 400 or less, if its over try somewhere else.

also look into the future abit aswell, like if you want to jam with friends or even perform live.
but you could always buy the vt30 and hook it up to a 412 or 212, but not too sure how it would sound.