my band is wanting to do some contests to win free downloads of our cd
the only problem we run into is the winners telling their friends how to download it for free.
is there a way we can do password protected downloads or a link that'll only allow one download before stopping?
we'd be willing to put in the extra work, we just want to avoid losing whatever little money we could make from sales.
I think you can do this on rapidshare. I believe on a free account, download links are only good for 10 downloads, although I could be wrong.
you could host it on a private server space and put it in a password restricted section, of course if people tell their friends how to do it they'd probably give them the password as well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
how easy do you find it to download music you like?

they will get your music for free most bands make money out of shows.

edit: put it on itunes? cant you make some free and some you pay for
Quote by beetroot10
how easy do you find it to download music you like?

they will get your music for free most bands make money out of shows.

edit: put it on itunes? cant you make some free and some you pay for

You have to be on a label or go through a distro service to put stuff on iTunes, and it's a major pain in the ass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
thx for the ideas. I know there are other ways for ppl to get my music for free, I'm just trying not to add another to the list. lol
Realistically, if they want to share it, you can't stop them.

You could upload a password protected RAR, and only tell the winners the password. Then take down the files after a week. That means they then have to put in a little effort to distribute it.

oh and:
Quote by beetroot10
why doesnt UG start its on label look at how big these forums and a fair few people dont goon the forums but just here for guitar tabs.

Really?

You really thing that because this site has a lot of traffic that it should start a record label? How about starting it's own religion, that would make more sense. Or starting it's own country?

If UG started a record label, I doubt it would be different to any other record label. And it already allows the distribution of music through your profile. As soon as they have to start coughing up checks, you can bet they won't be so caring.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Last edited by Fleabag at Nov 22, 2009,