Hey, I own an Ibanez RG 370DX and it has INF3 Bridge Pickup, INFS3 Middle Pickup, INF4 Neck Pickup and they came with the guitar. They are pretty metal sounding and I like them but I recently started getting into changing my sound around a lot and I want to try some new pickups.

I have been looking at EMG 81, EMG 85 pickups and some Seymour Duncan ones but I am more interested in the EMGS for now but I know nothing about these things.

I listen to Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath and loads of those bands and then some Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin, Alice In Chains and more similar stuff. Do you think the EMG 81/85 combo would be a good combo for that sort of music? Does anyone here have my guitar (Ibanez RG 370DX) with the EMG combo? If you do how do they sound?

Thanks.
Thanks for the link. I think they sound pretty good in that video. What do you think?
i think it sounds awsome ;D
go for it man!
Quote by angusfan16
I got ass-raped but your story beats mine.

My Gear:
Ibanez SA 240FM
Marshall Modell 8100
Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the EMG 81 and 85 combo. I heard you have to have a 3 way pickup selector and my guitar has a 5 way selector. What do I do there? Thanks.
if your amp isnt very good (or ss) it wont benifit from having better pickups, if its solid state, it might sound worse with active pickups, but im not 100% sure.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
if your amp isnt very good (or ss) it wont benifit from having better pickups, if its solid state, it might sound worse with active pickups, but im not 100% sure.

Ive got a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt amp. It definately not the worst amp out there. Does anyone know what I would have to do to get the 5 way pickup selector changed into a 3 way? Thanks.
I don't think you need to physically change it, just that two of the positions will just be the same as the their former. To be honest, this Spider/EMG coupling is scaring me, but then, hopefully the EMG's will add a little definition.
You have to change the 5 way selector to a 3 way selector with offset terminals. I have a rg370dx and I just put an EMG 85/81 combo in my guitar. Trust me, you need a 3 way blade switch with offset terminals, you can't use a 5 way way. BTW, make sure to put the 85 in the neck.
Quote by willT08
I don't think you need to physically change it, just that two of the positions will just be the same as the their former. To be honest, this Spider/EMG coupling is scaring me, but then, hopefully the EMG's will add a little definition.

Why is the Spider/EMG coupling scaring you?

You have to change the 5 way selector to a 3 way selector with offset terminals. I have a rg370dx and I just put an EMG 85/81 combo in my guitar. Trust me, you need a 3 way blade switch with offset terminals, you can't use a 5 way way. BTW, make sure to put the 85 in the neck.

Ok thanks I will try and lookup how to do that on Google. Also how do the EMG's sound on your Ibanez? Is there much of a difference? Do you think it is worth the money and time? Thanks.
Any pickup will sound better than the stock Ibanez Infinity series. They just suck. EMG's are nice but sound much much better when you have the headroom of a tube amp.
Quote by Fridge101
Any pickup will sound better than the stock Ibanez Infinity series. They just suck. EMG's are nice but sound much much better when you have the headroom of a tube amp.

Ok cool thanks for the reply. Even though I don't have a tube amp I will still definately notice a difference? Do you think it would be a really big diference?