(In Australia)

If I were to say print $50,000 in assorted notes (20s, 50, 10s, whatever) and pay for all my purchases in said cash, how would I ever be found out?
well, the store clerk could catch you, otherwise they would catch the bills st the bank and lift your prints, once they find your prints on a whole bunch of counterfeit bills they would come after you. Failing that they would trace the bills to stores you used them in, and check security camera footage and whatnot until they found you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 22, 2009,
I got handed a fake note the other day actually. Lady handed it to me, I did the tear test and it ripped :/ The lady wasn't the source of the notes (she was about 60 years old ), just told my manager, she said we couldn't accept it and to take it to the fuzz, and the lady was out $50.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well, the store clerk could catch you, otherwise they would catch the bills st the bank and lift your prints, once they find your prints on a whole bunch of counterfeit bills they would come after you. Failing that they would trace the bills to stores you used them in, and check security camera footage and whatnot until they found you.

How would a store clerk know, if they were near-perfect copies?

Do banks check ALL the currency they take in for signs of fraud?

Suppose I wore gloves, and used a disguise for each of the purchases?
Scalping and counterfeiting, what next Haze?
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Never mind how. Better turn away from the temptation to lead a life of crime. Particularly if you're going to be laying down evidence on the internet before you even do it...
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I got handed a fake note the other day actually. Lady handed it to me, I did the tear test and it ripped :/ The lady wasn't the source of the notes (she was about 60 years old ), just told my manager, she said we couldn't accept it and to take it to the fuzz, and the lady was out $50.

How the **** do you sleep at night James?
Quote by Callum89
Scalping and counterfeiting, what next Haze?

This is all hypothetical, everybody.
Quote by halvies
How the **** do you sleep at night James?

On a water bed made out of elderly people's heating allowances and the tears of lost children.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Haze14

Banks here in the use tend to run $20s and up through a currency verifier and most clerks will check $20s and up, I don't know what kind of countermeasures Australian currency has, but for US currency you need some pretty specialized equipment to make copies that will just fool a store clerk (and they still wont pass a currency checker) The gloves and disguises would make them a lot more likely to check your currency and you'd likely eventually screw up and get caught.

Last.fm
Quote by halvies
oh yeah that's right, you loathe anyone over the age of 55

14-50 is a good age

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Haze14

There a lot of ways clerks can check, for instance anythig over a $1 (US) has a water mark if you hold it up to the light you can see. Most clerks though have a super awesome pen that turns black if the note is fake.
Last edited by redneckrebel at Nov 22, 2009,
^My cousin bought a Toyota ute last year, with cash, and none of that was checked.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Banks here in the use tend to run $20s and up through a currency verifier and most clerks will check $20s and up, I don't know what kind of countermeasures Australian currency has, but for US currency you need some pretty specialized equipment to make copies that will just fool a store clerk (and they still wont pass a currency checker) The gloves and disguises would make them a lot more likely to check your currency and you'd likely eventually screw up and get caught.

How often is a currency checker used though?

Suppose I only spend the money on chilly days and therefore have an excuse for gloves/coat/muffler etc?
Last edited by Haze14 at Nov 22, 2009,
in theory, if you only ever spent ya money at maccas, you will never be caught..
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by nightraven
people working in shops handle money all the time
i would imagine a fake bill would really stand out and you'd get pwn3d

That depends on how good the fake bill is, I would think.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

The cops'll only have his prints if he's been convicted before.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
The cops'll only have his prints if he's been convicted before.

Not to mention the notes will have the prints of everybody in between covering mine.
I must point out to everyone who isn't in Australia that our money is made of plastic and it doesn't tear, thus when I said I did the tear test it distinguishes fakes from real notes pretty easily.
Also, there's a little bump in the clear bit in the corner for extra clarification. The fake that was handed to me not so long ago stood out a mile though, it was made on paper and looked as if it had just gotten wet.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Haze14
^My cousin bought a Toyota ute last year, with cash, and none of that was checked.

How often is a currency checker used though?

Suppose I only spend the money on chilly days and therefore have an excuse for gloves/coat/muffler etc?

You'd still look pretty shady if you walked up to a checkout counter with your gloves and scarf still on...

Also currency checkers are generally used for bills $20 and up (at least here in the U.S. of course counterfeit U.S. money is much more common than counterfeit Australian money so people may just be more catious here) and all the time when large amounts of cash are deposited at the bank. You would also look really shady if you tried to avoid that by making large purchases with a bunch of brand new 1 dollar bills.

^yeah I forgot AUD notes are made out of that weird paper/plastic mixture, good luck getting the specialized equipment you would need to make even halfway decent reproductions.

Quote by Haze14
Not to mention the notes will have the prints of everybody in between covering mine.

They take exclusionary prints, also everyone else's prints would only be on some of the bills, yours would be on all of them. Even if they don't have your prints in the database, they could find you by the other means I outlined and then use the prints to tie the money to you.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
brand new 1 dollar bills..

Don't be silly, I'd be printing assorted notes, as I said in the OP.

Maybe I could pull an Andy Defresne and make it so the notes trace back to someone who doesn't exist...
Quote by Haze14
Don't be silly, I'd be printing assorted notes, as I said in the OP.

Maybe I could pull an Andy Defresne and make it so the notes trace back to someone who doesn't exist...

They check the larger ones...

Also as has been pointed out, you don't have the means to print said money, if you did you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Also that Andy Dufresne trick is much less valid in the computer age and that sort of thing doesn't work with hard cash, only money in bank accounts.

Last.fm
Quote by Haze14

In Australian currency there is a clear patch on the note and then a symbol over this patch. Impossible to replicate.

Banks check.

Why are you asking this?
Whoah, Aussie money's made of plastic?

Damn, and I thought we were cool for having cloth in our paper money.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Holy Katana
Whoah, Aussie money's made of plastic?

Damn, and I thought we were cool for having cloth in our paper money.

Everyone calls bullshit when I say that. When I say there's like cotton in US money they're like "No... it's a magical material called paper..."
Yeah especially since money goes aroudn and around who knows you created the money?
(I'm talking about American Dollars)
Quote by i_killed_bill
Everyone calls bullshit when I say that. When I say there's like cotton in US money they're like "No... it's a magical material called paper..."

well it is paper, but paper can be made from anything fibrous, including cotton.

Last.fm