Hi All...
Any suggestions for the best learning to sight read software for guitar??

And for Mac OSX...

:-) Beaumont
The quickest way to learn to sight read would be to just practise sight reading. Incredibly enough, you can replace the two "sight read"'s with anything and this still works.
Its called standard notation, go read it.

Ditto. and sometimes sight read to the click of a metronome. You don't need a computer program, just music.
Guys - thanks for you reply but times have changed - if there's a computer program that can help someone learn something faster why not use it? Pink Floyd spent a few weeks setting up the introduction to their song "Money" on a reel-to-reel that you could do in about 15 minutes today using a program like Cubase. So does that mean we should stop using programs like Cubase etc to record music and go back to the old ways??

I just came across a program called Sight Reading Studio - it's amazing - it throws phrases at you randomly and you can select how many notes you want to begin with - now that's gotta be good.
I havent quite mastered sight reading but Ive learned standard musical notation solely from Guitar Pro.

And now I can transpose music from guitar tablature to standard musical notation and back, quickly and easily without error.

The main thing is i didnt set out to learn standard music. i just picked it up really fast from using Guitar pro and seeing standard and tabs next to eachother often. So if you set out with the intention to learn to sight read im sure it wouldnt take very long at all.

I still reflexively tab out songs in regular guitar tablature, but i can read music.
Quote by Auricfield
Guys - thanks for you reply but times have changed - if there's a computer program that can help someone learn something faster why not use it? Pink Floyd spent a few weeks setting up the introduction to their song "Money" on a reel-to-reel that you could do in about 15 minutes today using a program like Cubase. So does that mean we should stop using programs like Cubase etc to record music and go back to the old ways??

I just came across a program called Sight Reading Studio - it's amazing - it throws phrases at you randomly and you can select how many notes you want to begin with - now that's gotta be good.

So you're still reading standard notation. You just wanted a program to generate random phrases to practice?

You'd be best off getting a book of guitar etudes and learning them. That way there will be songs that are designed to be difficult on guitar, rather than just random phrases generated by a computer.
http://www.practicespot.com/sightreading/
this website generates a number of 4-6 measure lines in any or all available clefs.

These are a lot more tools on the website, take a look
http://www.practicespot.com/freetools.phtml

Hope this helps.

And a little advice, learn the bass clef too, since guitar pro does not mention that the guitar actually sounds an octave lower than it's notated, so the low E is actually on the first ledger line below the bass clef and the high E(on a 24 fret guitar) is the E on the third ledger-line above the treble clef. That may help you transcribe stuff for guitar in other programs like Sibelius.
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
Last edited by zhille at Nov 24, 2009,