i'm in deep shit here because both my guitars need their strings changed. My squier strat affinity and my kramer focus 211 s had gauge 9 ernie ball slinkys.

If i upgrade to gauge 10, skinny top heavy bottoms, will there be any damage to the neck?

i'm in this place in india where you dont have good technicians around, I NEED YOUR HELP!
gauge 9 to 10s shouldn't
i've never heard of it doing any damage
i've heard that you should do each string singularly
eg take off the e replace the e take off b the replace the b etc
to maintain neck tension but thats about it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by abhilaksh
i'm in deep shit here because both my guitars need their strings changed. My squier strat affinity and my kramer focus 211 s had gauge 9 ernie ball slinkys.

If i upgrade to gauge 10, skinny top heavy bottoms, will there be any damage to the neck?

Good lord no! Who on earth gave you a ridiculous idea like that?

Just change the damn strings and don't worry so much, guitar necks are very, very hard to damage.
Quote by kyle62
Good lord no! Who on earth gave you a ridiculous idea like that?

Just change the damn strings and don't worry so much, guitar necks are very, very hard to damage.

yeah but i read about shaving the nut and shit, and getting a technician to see it...
you dont have to shave nut when you are going from 9s to 10s. Thats not like you are going from 9 to 12s or something...
You should be fine, i use 10-52s, you may need to wear in the nut a bit to work for the lower strings. But nothing you wont be able to manage from just playing.

Great balanced string gauge though. Regular 10's seem way too flimsy for me.
Quote by Highwaytohell
you dont have to shave nut when you are going from 9s to 10s. Thats not like you are going from 9 to 12s or something...

On my strings, the last three I went the stock strings(Pretty Low Guage) to 30, 42, 52.
Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom. I love 'em so much, I think I'm going to put them on my (soon to be) BC Rich ASM Pro.($700 left to go

Oh, my nut didn't need any shaving at all. I guess it was made for heavier guages?
..I was watching my death.
you should be just fine going up a gauge

The worst thing that might happen is you may need to adjust the intonation a tad, but I doubt it, and you certainly shouldn't need to mess with the truss rod.