Page 1 of 3
Ok pit I've been reading about the subject and I determined two things. 1 its not easy. 2 you'll lose weight and cut down your risk of heart disease and various cancers also it'll give you more energy.

My only concern is I've eaten meat my entire life so can any one here give me some tips to help this work.

Tjanks in advance.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
i didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Been visiting PETA's website have you? You should know that's all pretty much entirely false.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
How exactly will you have more energy?

You'll most likely be losing a lot of BCAAs
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
As a student, because of money reasons I don't eat much meat, and could probably give it up fairly easily. It's easier than you might think.

Could murder a steak though...
Meat doesn't make you gain weight unless you eat it fried and drenched in various mcdonalds sauces.

Non-meat products like pasta, grain, musli, every cereal, nuts, cookies e.t.c. contains much more calories on average than normal meat (like meatballs, schnitzel, hamburgers or whatever). So you get less fat from meat products really.

Seriously man, just read up a bit on nutrition.
Last edited by Kensai at Nov 22, 2009,
If you're doing it just to do it, it will be difficult. If you're doing it because you believe in it, it shouldn't be difficult at all. Also, if you're going vegetarian you'll likely have to give up gummy snacks or anything made with gelatin, and don't eat ranch dressing or caesar salad dressing.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by merfsullivan
If you're doing it just to do it, it will be difficult. If you're doing it because you believe in it, it shouldn't be difficult at all. Also, if you're going vegetarian you'll likely have to give up gummy snacks or anything made with gelatin, and don't eat ranch dressing or caesar salad dressing.

Where's the meat in that?

WEBBDIT: Anchovies? I fucking hate anchovies! Bastards!
The best diet is a healthy, balanced omnivorous diet. Vegetarians can whinge all they want about there being loads of iron and protein in their diets, but it isn't the right kind of proteins and iron in those diets. Hell, a lot of vegetarian foods actually decrease absorption of many essential nutrients. It isn't about how much you eat- it's about how much gets absorbed.
Quote by lespaul1216

You didn't climb up there. Your ancestors did.

To be fair, and on topic, you've climbed high enough to have a highly developed brain capable of eating alternative diets that can still enable you to live a healthy style.

Whatever you want to eat is fine. People who moan and groan about veggies or meat eaters need to grow the fuck up.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
You didn't climb up there. Your ancestors did.

Maybe he lives in a rough neigbourhood?
Quote by Kensai
Maybe he lives in a rough neigbourhood?

I'm so glad to have you around!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by webbtje
As a student, because of money reasons I don't eat much meat, and could probably give it up fairly easily. It's easier than you might think.

Could murder a steak though...

Hm? You can always buy some cheap meat.

TS, don't quit meat for health reasons. The reason why the majority of meat eaters are more likely to get health problems is because they don't eat a balanced diet. Cut it down a lot, but don't cut it out.

However, if you're going to for moral reasons then go for it and also read up on the rationality behind veganism or partial veganism.
Quote by Simsimius
Whatever you want to eat is fine. People who moan and groan about veggies or meat eaters need to grow the fuck up.

Disagree. Choosing whether or not eating meat is okay is a serious moral choice to make. If some people argue that eating meat is extremely immoral, they should moan about it. It's rational for humans to do so anyway, reacting to what they perceive as immoral.
Last edited by Craigo at Nov 22, 2009,
hurray you fiendly co2 person

keep all the dairy products including eggs

sorta when you want a steak have n ohmlet

lettuce pray your wisdom conquers this world of short lived backwards dog
GOD is with you
dont push him to far or heall bump you off

multi vits n mins n omega 3 n 9 oils

the future is you
Quote by demt
hurray you fiendly co2 person

keep all the dairy products including eggs

sorta when you want a steak have n ohmlet

lettuce pray your wisdom conquers this world of short lived backwards dog
GOD is with you
dont push him to far or heall bump you off

multi vits n mins n omega 3 n 9 oils

the future is you

*heads to Google translate*
Having never eaten meat in my entire life, I'll say this: Eat whatever the hell you want. Have a 12oz steak every night for all it matters (though don't come to me when the health problems kick in). If you want to try not eating meat, try it, there's no big deal if it doesn't work out, is there? If you really are dedicated, I'd say wean yourself off of it, slowly eating less and less over a few weeks till you don't eat it any more. And if then you feel the need for a burger or some chicken or whatever, go ahead if you really want to. It would have been worth the try, right?
Quote by UG Team
If you like Cannibal Corpse, Despised Icon and Morbid Angle as much as you like Six Feet Unde and Hatebreed, then you’ll totally be impressed by Carnifex.

"Morbid Angle", "Six Feet Unde"

DEMON OF THE FALL
Quote by Craigo
Disagree. Choosing whether or not eating meat is okay is a serious moral choice to make. If some people argue that eating meat is extremely immoral, they should moan about it. It's rational for humans to do so anyway, reacting to what they perceive as immoral.

Well, I'm fed up at meat eaters moaning at me for being a veggie... [and since I've been one since I was the smallest kid, out of personal choice as I dislike the taste/sight/small of meat, it kinda pisses me off...]

And even though I hate meat [as in taste] and also think its largely immoral in the way it is today, I won't mention anything unless it relevant to conversation [which is always my policy, as it's polite and not intrusive, and won't get me labelled as an arsehole with a big mouth].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Vegetarian of 18 years here to dispell a few myths. 1. Being a vegey doesn't make you lose wieght, im 16 stone, dieting helps you lose wieght. 2. Being a vegey won't cost you nutrients and stuff if you eat the right things, I'm also 6'5".

I'm not a vegey any more though, cows are just too tasty.
Quote by Simsimius
Well, I'm fed up at meat eaters moaning at me for being a veggie...

And even though I hate meat [as in taste] and also think its largely immoral in the way it is today, I won't mention anything unless it relevant to conversation [which is always my policy, as it's polite and not intrusive, and won't get me labelled as an arsehole with a big mouth].

I'm fed up with pro-lifers, but in no way would I consider them to keep quiet. Serious moral issues should not be put to the side for no discussion. Hell, talking about things is how homosexuality got accepted.

And on this matter, I dislike the idea that we have now progressed. Each and every last one of us are still products of our own time.
Last edited by Craigo at Nov 22, 2009,
I've been a vegetarian for 9 and a half weeks now(longer than you'd think). I decided one day that I wasn't going to eat meat anymore and I havent since(except once when i got drunk and my friend told me a chicken burger was a veggie burger)

It's not as hard as you'd think, especially if you're living alone. Truthfully, I got really thin for the first few weeks but then I started eating more natural proteins and now I'm a healthy weight again. At this stage, I couldn't imagine myself eating a burger or a strip of bacon.. yuck! And this is coming from an ex-meat addict.

So go for it, once you've gotten over the hump at the start it's easy and makes you feel great too. Once you've gotten used to the idea of it, you can start cutting out other harmful foods like dairy, bread and cereals.
Last edited by Declan87 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Craigo
I'm fed up with pro-lifers, but in no way would I consider them to keep quiet. Serious moral issues should not be put to the side for no discussion. Hell, talking about things is how homosexuality got accepted.

And on this matter, I dislike the idea that we have now progressed. Each and every last one of us are still products of our own time.

Now I think about it, you're right.

I remember writing tons of stuff in the large "Is eating animals wrong?" thread with loads of info proving it was wrong [environmentally, etc.].
I just gave up as all the ignorant people were using shitty arguments [such as the whole "I didn't get up the food chain..." and "check out my teeth lolol"].

You've put me back on track.

TS, go for it!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Declan87
I've been a vegetarian for 9 and a half weeks now(longer than you'd think). I decided one day that I wasn't going to eat meat anymore and I havent since(except once when i got drunk and my friend told me a chicken burger was a veggie burger)

It's not as hard as you'd think, especially if you're living alone. Truthfully, I got really thin for the first few weeks but then I started eating more natural proteins and now I'm a healthy weight again. At this stage, I couldn't imagine myself eating a burger or a strip of bacon.. yuck! And this is coming from an ex-meat addict.

That's cool and all that, but please don't use pretentious language
In my last year of uni I lived with a vegetarian, and since we shopped and cooked together I was *almost* a vegetarian for a year. I did eat maybe six slices of bacon a week though. Good way to save money, also, I didn't lose any weight at all. Once or twice over the period of that year I had a big beef burger at this chain restaurant 'Ketchup', the sheer amount of meat consumed in one sitting just made me feel sick.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Spaz91
Vegetarian of 18 years here to dispell a few myths. 1. Being a vegey doesn't make you lose wieght, im 16 stone, dieting helps you lose wieght. 2. Being a vegey won't cost you nutrients and stuff if you eat the right things, I'm also 6'5".

I'm not a vegey any more though, cows are just too tasty.

Yes... it will. Where are you getting your very important haem iron from? Sulphur based amino acids? From supplements? Most supplements are also very poor for absorption.

Vitamin B12 is much more readily absorbed from meat sources- plant sources are very poor for B12. You could always counter these by overeating, but then that isn't a healthy diet, is it?#

Lots of vegetarians rely on soy for their protein needs. Fantastic! Except large amounts of soy in the diet can cause hormone imbalances. Lots of soy products like vegetarian sausages and the like are heavily processed- if someone were to use the heavily processed arguement against eating meat products, then really they should be doing the same against most soy products on the market as well.

Not saying that vegetarians cannot be healthy- just the myth that it is a healthier diet is just that- a myth.
Quote by Craigo
Hm? You can always buy some cheap meat.

Nah. Can make far better stuff with only veg, or (gasp) Quorn stuff most of the time. Most cheap meat tends to taste like shit.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Nah. Can make far better stuff with only veg, or (gasp) Quorn stuff most of the time.

Cheap cuts of meat do have the higher levels of protein and far less saturated fat, though. Great for a homemade curry and the such. In fact, the cheap cuts are good for practically everything except steaks.
^ Tofu is very low in saturated fat, though. And great for homemade curry. **** Quorn

And vegetarianism ain't hard will a little bit of willpower. I've been a vegetarian practically my whole life I did the whole veganism thing for a year (I may temporarily revert back to it soon).
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Last edited by DigUpHerBones at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes... it will. Where are you getting your very important haem iron from? Sulphur based amino acids? From supplements? Most supplements are also very poor for absorption.

Vitamin B12 is much more readily absorbed from meat sources- plant sources are very poor for B12. You could always counter these by overeating, but then that isn't a healthy diet, is it?#

Lots of vegetarians rely on soy for their protein needs. Fantastic! Except large amounts of soy in the diet can cause hormone imbalances. Lots of soy products like vegetarian sausages and the like are heavily processed- if someone were to use the heavily processed arguement against eating meat products, then really they should be doing the same against most soy products on the market as well.

Not saying that vegetarians cannot be healthy- just the myth that it is a healthier diet is just that- a myth.

To be fair, I agree with this, even though I'm a veggie.
It's not automatically healthy just by switching. You still need to plan things out as with any form of diet.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
What you need to do is prepare yourself for it like learn how to cook proper veggie food first. I've had friends who have tried to vegetarian and just resorted to pretty much Quorn and cheese based stuff then given it up in a fortnight or so.
Quote by webbtje
Nah. Can make far better stuff with only veg, or (gasp) Quorn stuff most of the time. Most cheap meat tends to taste like shit.

I had Sainsburys basic mince, 400g for 97p the other night and it was delicious. The texture is different but that's what made it nice.

Just how the Sainsburys Basic Cheese is mildly delicious.
I hear your semen will taste sweeter if you go veggy.

But really, why can't you just eat a more balanced diet? Sounds to me like your trying to lose some weight the easy way....by eating -_-

If so, then of course it won't be easy and you won't see results as fast as when you exercise, and you'll be missing out on tasty foods.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
To be fair, I agree with this, even though I'm a veggie.
It's not automatically healthy just by switching. You still need to plan things out as with any form of diet.

Absolutely- that's the only qualm I have with vegetarianism, or any diet to be fair. There's a lot of poor education- I won't say ignorance, because if you don't know, you don't know- about the nutritional side of things. I will always say that a balanced omnivorous diet is the best, simply because it eliminates the need for manufactured, often poor, supplements, whilst maintaining correct nutritional intake. Obviously, this doesn't happen as much as it should, in all diets. Lots of people with an omnivorous diet have a high saturated fat intake, whilst a lot of vegetarians may depend far too much on carbohydrates. Both are obviously bad for an individual. I don't tend to go into the moral arguements mainly because biology is my forte and is more about fact than opinion to a degree.

Although when it comes down to it, everyone is vegetarian for at least around 23 hours of the day.
Been veggie all of my eighteen years and I ain't dead yet. 6 foot 2, as if it stunts your growth. Everything in meat you can get elsewhere, it's just about eating the right things. Nuts and beans ftw!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Absolutely- that's the only qualm I have with vegetarianism, or any diet to be fair. There's a lot of poor education- I won't say ignorance, because if you don't know, you don't know- about the nutritional side of things. I will always say that a balanced omnivorous diet is the best, simply because it eliminates the need for manufactured, often poor, supplements, whilst maintaining correct nutritional intake. Obviously, this doesn't happen as much as it should, in all diets. Lots of people with an omnivorous diet have a high saturated fat intake, whilst a lot of vegetarians may depend far too much on carbohydrates. Both are obviously bad for an individual. I don't tend to go into the moral arguements mainly because biology is my forte and is more about fact than opinion to a degree.

Although when it comes down to it, everyone is vegetarian for at least around 23 hours of the day.

To be fair, that is the best possible diet a person can have. And it's what we're optimised for.

But, some people, such as me, have reasons for not eating that diet and so we really have to plan things right down to ensure nothing is left out.

I say we, because I don't. :p
I really should start improving what I eat. I even bought myself a cookbook .
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by lespaul1216

you didnt climb anywhere. neanderthals climbed there for you millions of years ago.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by LovroMirnik
You can try going vegeterian, but it will last perhaps a week...

I recommend, count how many days a week do you eat meat and divide it by 2.

It's important to know, that MEAT is not unhealthy, it's actually NECESSARY for the body.
If you really intend to lose weight, that doesn't mean, stop eating meat....

Eat less of it.

+1
Page 1 of 3