How do you start ear training? Ive been trying to get my hear around basic intervals (http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html), but a lot of the time its a guess and not necessarily a good one. How do you get to that level when youre sure of the god damned intervals?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

find David Lucas Burge's Relative Pitch Ear Training. its a really great ear training program.
Try to tab your own songs, much better result and while you do that, learn which note it is that you tab
Quote by nigeltheginger
Now that, to anyone else who is reading, is METAL

When moshing during my own gig instead of playing guitar
Play the intervals on your guitar, sing them, really get the sound into your head. Learn to sing the major scale and then work from there how a 5th sounds in relation to the root note.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by Elden G20
Play the intervals on your guitar, sing them, really get the sound into your head. Learn to sing the major scale and then work from there how a 5th sounds in relation to the root note.

+1
That's the way I practice it.
However, I also use the musictheory.net trainer at least once every two days.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
I cant buy anything, so the relative method is out. I can do the major scale though...
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

What I did was took riffs I liked, to get the different intervals... then I would look for those intervals, and then all I'd have to do was find the note... (I used smoke on the water for Minor 3rds for instance)
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Armen Donelians Training The Ear is great. From a melodic, harmonic and also rhythmic standpoint.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Also i think that the site Ricci Adam's music theory has a good free ear trainer. Although its a guess game at first, so I'd suggest the major scale and your guitar until your competent.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by Dream Floyd
What I did was took riffs I liked, to get the different intervals... then I would look for those intervals, and then all I'd have to do was find the note... (I used smoke on the water for Minor 3rds for instance)

songs are fantastic i use one for almost every common interval!

Here's my list if you want:

Min2 Jaws
Maj2 Happy Birthday

min3 Smoke on the Water
Maj3 Kumbaya

P4 Australia's anthem (may not be helpful for you :P)
Tritone The Simpsons (the-simp), Maria (Blondie song. In chorus ma-ri) Both songs resolve to fifth.
P5 Starwars (some use twinkle little star)

min6 The Entertainer
Maj6 My Bonnie

min7 Startreck theme (not sure if this is right, I think so) Needs to resolve DOWN to sixth
Maj7 an octave then a semitone down sounds like it needs to resolve to UP to octave

Octave Somewhere (over the rainbow)
Last edited by mdwallin at Nov 23, 2009,