Wellllllll, I know no Swedish whatsoever. I have noticed that here in Helsinki, there are a lot of Swede/Finns and Swedish speakers. I've also heard that the Swedish spoken in Finland is pretty distorted.

So what I'm trying to ask is:

Is it hard to understand the Finn/Swede Swedish? How different is it? Is it comparable to the Portuguese spoken in Brazil vs. Portugal?

If I seem ignorant on the subject it's b/c I've lived on and off in Finland and just recently moved back to study.
Quote by MustaKuura
Wellllllll

It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
The difference is that the Finnish Swedish is speaken with the same sounds as Finnish, giving it a more "melodic" sound. There are also a lot of words that are only used in one of the countries.

As a Swedish speaking Finn I can say that I understand "normal" Swedish perfectly, and I have yet to fail at being understood in Sweden
It's not THAT hard to understand the Finn version of swedish, but it's got a ring to it.
DeVillains!
Quote by Samurai Chicken
The difference is that the Finnish Swedish is speaken with the same sounds as Finnish, giving it a more "melodic" sound. There are also a lot of words that are only used in one of the countries.

As a Swedish speaking Finn I can say that I understand "normal" Swedish perfectly, and I have yet to fail at being understood in Sweden

Oh so Finnish Swedish is melodic death metal while Swedish Swedish is death metal. Gotcha

Edit: I was just asking because my Brazilian friend says that the Portuguese can't understand Brazilian Portuguese (or find it difficult to follow) while Brazilians can understand standard Portuguese. Just wanted to know if that was the case here
Last edited by MustaKuura at Nov 22, 2009,
It's easy to understand finnish-swedish. It's pretty charming imo.

Or atleast, it's charming when ur drunk and on the cruise to finland.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."