well, the question is in the title. I've decided to sell my old (around 1991/92-1995) Tobias American, and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the wood the neck and fingerboard is made of.

pics:

Thanks for all the help
If you throw a pudding towards a running elephant in a pine forest, will the cookie come and eat you? O.o

Quote by Danno13
With a name like Jesus Lives, you
have bigger issues to worry about than how to get a signature guitar.
Owned
Last edited by nocturnal Shade at Nov 22, 2009,
ahh, ok. Well, thanks for all the help ! Sadly, I haven't been able to find out what kind of wood the body is made of. FInding information about old Tobiases has turned out to be almost impossible, and I have only seen one other of this particular brand, and that bass was sold at the same shop as I bought mine.
If you throw a pudding towards a running elephant in a pine forest, will the cookie come and eat you? O.o

Quote by Danno13
Owned
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm almost 100% sure it's a maple eck/fretboard and rosewood stripe. Stripe may be pau ferro though.

He could always claim it to be rosewood though because they are extremely tonally similar, plus it doesn't look light enough to me to be pau ferro.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
He could always claim it to be rosewood though because they are extremely tonally similar, plus it doesn't look light enough to me to be pau ferro.

Wood does darken over time, and obviously some cuts will be darker than others for a multitude of reasons.
It's maple for sure.

A lot of maple necks have a stripe of walnut in them, so the dark stripe might be walnut.
Well, I thought that I could throw with a picture of the body, so you could try to guess what it's made of.

Nocturnal edit: I forgot to mention that the body is quite heavy, and I was able to see in a screwhole that the wood is almost the same color as the neck.

Quote by Danno13
Owned
Last edited by nocturnal Shade at Nov 22, 2009,
so, most likely, the entire bass is maple? well, that explains why it has always seemed likethe entire thing was cut out of one huge chunk of wood, and then screwed together again.

Quote by Danno13
Owned
body looks like it could be ash? Could the stripe be bubinga?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
isnt a mahogany stripe on the neck also common? was just i am pretty sure i have seen that on a few bass's and guitars and im sure its bout the same colour.Altho knowing me im most likely wrong.

But its a mighty fine looking bass looks like it would be awesome to play.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
positive wood identification is nearly impossible without a clean view of the woods end-grain. However that neck is surely maple, the stripe looks to be a mahogany (or a mahogany lookalike) and the body looks to be of basswood. Without confirmation from the manufacturer you're pretty much guessing. For the neigh sayers, I'm a college educated woodworker.
Gonna say the body is ash. Normal ash can be of a medium density, as opposed to swamp ash which is very light.

Michael Tobias seems to enjoy using ash quite a lot in his basses. Chances are the wooden stringer is mahogany.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
That body screams ash. I'm 100% sure that the neck is maple and the stripe is walnut
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.