Hi all, got a Peavey Vypyr a few days ago but can't get the same output I achieved with a 5watt amp, strange!
What I'm looking for is a preset which will give out clear harmonics, tapping etc. With some I've tried the harmonic or tap will only last maybe half a second. Which amp settings should I be favouring?
From what I gather, treble is one of the main ones to be using but I can't find a good combination of the others.
Thanks for your help.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Neck pickup. Health amount of gain. Clean technique. That's all you need for tapping, IMO.

I have no problem tapping etc, purely the settings. Using certain combinations will prolong the duration of the tapped note.
Quote by Nemm
I have no problem tapping etc, purely the settings. Using certain combinations will prolong the duration of the tapped note.

The term you're referring to is sustain. What is your guitar and what pickups does it have?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
The term you're referring to is sustain. What is your guitar and what pickups does it have?

Well I'm thinking that's one of the problems at the moment, I've come home for the weekend and switched from using a Squier Strat with 9's, single coils to a Crafter Cruiser with 8's and Humbuckers.
Pinch Harmonics and Tapping are basically lower volume than the rest of the things you generally do on a guitar. When you consider that, you need something to bring that up to the volume of the rest of what you do. This is one of the cases where shitloads of gain can come in handy, but if you want it "clearer" - use a compressor.
Use the high gain amp models, for example the red JSX model, gain to 3/4, low and mid halfway up, treble at 3/4. Post gain is the channel volume. Also probably add some slight reverb and delay and have fun.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Nemm
Well I'm thinking that's one of the problems at the moment, I've come home for the weekend and switched from using a Squier Strat with 9's, single coils to a Crafter Cruiser with 8's and Humbuckers.

There's your problem. The Squiers are made of agathis, not something used for pinch harmonics and tapping, and a cheaper wood all around to begin with. Save up and get a new guitar made of mahogany or a high end basswood with humbuckers. If you play metal, IMO Ibanez and Schecter guitars will never fail you.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
There's your problem. The Squiers are made of agathis, not something used for pinch harmonics and tapping, and a cheaper wood all around to begin with. Save up and get a new guitar made of mahogany or a high end basswood with humbuckers. If you play metal, IMO Ibanez and Schecter guitars will never fail you.

You can do pinch harmonics on ANY guitar. Wood doesn't play such a big role for pinch harmonics and tapping, and they are also possible on single coils.

I guess it's more about the amp setting and the technique.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by CullenT

That's the thing, it's the Squier which I have no problem with. I've come back home, had to use a different guitar and new amp but can't match the sustain I was getting with a Squier, 5W amp and a Zoom505ii using a preset.

EDIT: The preset I want to imitate from the Zoom505ii is C1 which is
"VAN's DRIVER: Eddie's famous hard driven sound."

As much as I hate EVH :/
Also planning on getting an MBM2 soon.
Last edited by Nemm at Nov 22, 2009,
well the area you need to hit the pinch will be different on this guitar, also older strings are hard to do pinches on (if you don't beleive me, trying playing a guita that's been strung with the same set for about 3-5 years. you'll feel the difference).

Use the bridge pickup for pinch harmonics. Use the 6505 model, turn both the pre and post all the way up (the real 6505 uses post as volume, but the vypyr doesn't), and dial in alot of mids.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
well the area you need to hit the pinch will be different on this guitar, also older strings are hard to do pinches on (if you don't beleive me, trying playing a guita that's been strung with the same set for about 3-5 years. you'll feel the difference).

Use the bridge pickup for pinch harmonics. Use the 6505 model, turn both the pre and post all the way up (the real 6505 uses post as volume, but the vypyr doesn't), and dial in alot of mids.

I've always found the 6505 model MUCH too dark and bassy for tapping, also the post gain is used as volume on the Vypyr and the 6505 model isn't really EQ-sensitive.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Gundamnitpete
well the area you need to hit the pinch will be different on this guitar, also older strings are hard to do pinches on (if you don't beleive me, trying playing a guita that's been strung with the same set for about 3-5 years. you'll feel the difference)

???

Do you never break strings or live in some sort of anti rust, anti dirt, anti hand-oil hidey hole?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Try this: Bass-10, Mid-0, Treble-10, Gain-10.

It will bring the brootz.
Quote by imgooley
Try this: Bass-10, Mid-0, Treble-10, Gain-10.

It will bring the brootz.

That's a disgusting joke.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
For me...lowering the action of the guitar helps a lot.

Don't try to adjust an amp's setting to allow you to tap/squeal...set an amp to make it sound nice. If you practice hard enough your fingers will become strong enough that you won't need so much to gain to tap...and same for the pinchies.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp