Sooo, once again im having problems with my band. It seems that nothing is going on. We have practice maybe once every 2-3 weeks, we barely got one new song togeher since start of the summer, and even that was basicly written by me. We hadnt had a gig for almost 3 moths now, and band practice, while still fun, just seems pointless since we dont do anything new and dont need to practice for a gig coming up. The guitarist and bassit are once again high before and during practice, but not as much as they used to be, and it doesnt really effect the guitarists preformance anymore, so i dont really have a problem with that. The basist was always the silent kind so it doesnt bother me either. Me and the drummer really got much better friends since he started giving me lessons, so thats nice. But i just feel like nothing is happening with the band. We get together, play the songs we know, talk a little and go home. Any advice on how to get out of this would be apreciated.

But thats not really the point of this thread. Last week my friend asked me if i would play in her band, cause they only have 1 guitar, and she doesnt like the sound. The music they play is much more varied than what we do, but there are no heavy or fast songs that you can really go crazy to (i love that). They gig regurarely and even make a fair amount of money. I dont really know anyone else except the singer, but they seems a nice bunch whenever i meet them. The only thing i basilcy have a problem is the lack of any hard/heavy/fast songs. But im guesing if they involve me in the songwriting proces that i can make some differance?
So, should i stay in my band, refuse the other one, be in both and see what happens or just quit the current band and go with the second one? Should i just send everything to hell and concentrate on my solo stuff, that i would love to do but never actually get around to it?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
be in both for a while if the first band continues being the way it is then quit it and with the other band depending on what you are are you lead or rhythm? if your lead you can change up the songs a bit and make it go heavier with a lot more bass drum and more distortion in the chorus and the solo (if you do one) and the bridge if your rhythm change the tunings up to a heavier tuning and make the guitars heavier..and SHARE ideas with them because if the other guitarist doesnt like that stuff you can mix it up like 1 song is a heavier song and the next is like a soft clean song something like that you know? hope it helps you out
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
I'm in the exact same situation, where one band has never gone anywhere and it's more of a lets just get together and play some songs band. I would be in both, you know what to expect in both bands, and if you want to play some gigs it sounds like its not going to happen with your current band. I see mine as the one band with friends, and I know that it probably isn't going to progress past our once a week practices, but its still fun. And the more serious band that actually has some goals. Also you said its not heavy enough, maybe once you join and start adding your influence and style, you can make it a bit more suitable to your playing.
Every band has a certain amount of "momentum" associated with it. Loose it and people drop out. Your band has lost this.

Practicing once every 2-3 weeks will not realistically achieve anything in a short period of time. Most bands practice once a week. It's not too much time out of your week, a couple of hours less on the x-box. You aim to get a set together (30 min, then an hour) and once the set is together nice and tight, you can go gigging.

I have a feeling you never practiced enough to get a solid set together, and that's why there are no gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well thats not true, we have like 30 gigs behind us, we already have a solid 45-60 minute set, and are pretty tight together. We just kinda stoped making new songs and we hadnt had a gig since end of august. We were also suposed to record two songs in studio, but that kinda fell into oblivion somehow. I cant help but think that the guitarists discovery of weed caused this.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Well thats not true, we have like 30 gigs behind us, we already have a solid 45-60 minute set, and are pretty tight together. We just kinda stoped making new songs and we hadnt had a gig since end of august. We were also suposed to record two songs in studio, but that kinda fell into oblivion somehow. I cant help but think that the guitarists discovery of weed caused this.

If what you say is true - just book more gigs :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by gorkyporky

Push them. It seems like you are the band leader now. Book gigs, write music.

That other band does sound very nice. So if I were you, I'd go and at least have a jam with them for a while. If they turn out better then make them your "main project". But I would also stick with your current band, and at the very least keep them as a jamming band.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Rg-350DMX *SD*
be in both for a while if the first band continues being the way it is then quit it and with the other band depending on what you are are you lead or rhythm? if your lead you can change up the songs a bit and make it go heavier with a lot more bass drum and more distortion in the chorus and the solo (if you do one) and the bridge if your rhythm change the tunings up to a heavier tuning and make the guitars heavier..and SHARE ideas with them because if the other guitarist doesnt like that stuff you can mix it up like 1 song is a heavier song and the next is like a soft clean song something like that you know? hope it helps you out

I dont agree with mixing the song styles up like that. I band I'm in now was doing that for a while with another guitar player and for the most part they didn't really enjoy it. We have also gotten much more done than they did with the other guitarist. I think having a defined sound and direction can really help getting music done.