so my line 6 spider is now on ebay as ive got fed up with the crap tone, and im looking at getting a new modelling amp for use at home. im really undecided between the Vox VT and the Peavey Vypyr. either 15 or 30w models, depending on my budget by christmas. but most likely somewhere between £100 and £150.

if you have any other suggestions please let me know, thanks =)
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Line 6 Spider III (looking to replace)
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Depedns on what you play, if your more of a metal head, get the vypyr, if your more into rock, classic rock and such, get the vox.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
You could just get the money, save up and make a bigger step up.
It won't be a REALLY big upgrade.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
yeh, but it wud take me ages to save that money and ive already got rid of my line 6, and joeperry dude, i play a bit of everything really, my band that im trying to get going is going for pop punk sorta sound, but im also looking to start a post-hardcore band. so i want an amp thats quite diverse
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
I went to Guitar Center about 2 days ago and checked out the Vyper, Its BEAST of metal. If you're a metalhead like me then obviously get the Vyper, you won't be dissapointed.

On the other hand, if you're into classic rock then i would get the Vox. In my opinion as a metal head, the vox doesnt really put out good distortion sounds.

Good Luck picking out an amp
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
Well, I like the Vypyr so I'm gonna have to endorse Peavey with this post. If you don't truly like the usual metal sounds it offers, it has a on board tube screamer, that if you take the time to adjust, and use it with the cleaner amp models on the Vypyr, you can also get a truly great crunch with minimalism!

I hear great things about Vox too, but I haven't played one so I can't offer a counter argument.
ok thanks guys, i was already swinging towards the Peavey now im even more inclined, as for the tube screamer comment, the tube screamer is only on the 30w amp, the 15w doesnt have the stomp boxes unfortunately, and im not sure if im gna be able to afford the 30w version as much as i want it
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
I'd say the Vypyr. Everyone is saying it's mostly for metal, but you can get a wide variety of tones out of it. The instruction booklet will be your best friend though, because I'm not gonna lie, it is a very complex amp. It may take you a little while to fully understand all the functions on it because there's a lot. I might also suggest to get the Sanpera I footswitch so you can take advantage of the looper on the amp.
ok thanks a lot guys, i think im gonna get the Vypyr now, hopefully going to try and find the money for the 30w model
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
is the vypyr still as diverse without the stompboxes tho (aka the 15w model)
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Quote by stead10
ok thanks guys, i was already swinging towards the Peavey now im even more inclined, as for the tube screamer comment, the tube screamer is only on the 30w amp, the 15w doesnt have the stomp boxes unfortunately, and im not sure if im gna be able to afford the 30w version as much as i want it

The Vypyr 15 has a Tube Screamer.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
it does?...cos the 15w doesnt have the whole stompboxes...i thought the tubescreamer was part of the stompboxes?
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
ah, you are correct indeed, thanks for that =)
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
because on the 30w it comes under stompboxe on the 15w it comes under effects, hence my confusion, thanks for clearing that up =)
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Quote by TatarSalad2
I'd say the Vypyr. Everyone is saying it's mostly for metal, but you can get a wide variety of tones out of it. The instruction booklet will be your best friend though, because I'm not gonna lie, it is a very complex amp. It may take you a little while to fully understand all the functions on it because there's a lot. I might also suggest to get the Sanpera I footswitch so you can take advantage of the looper on the amp.

Pretty much what this guy said. This thing isn't just for metal, it can achieve quite a variety of tones. The Rec channel is great for a thick Mesa-like tone (hence the name) but it also has amp modes for a nice classic crunch. Each effect has 2 parameters you can adjust, and it will be pretty confusing as far as what each parameter is for, but the manual (which is a .pdf that comes on a CD) explains each effect and what each parameter does. Also, I would recommend that you save up for the 30w version, you'll be glad you did.

EDIT: Guess I'm a bit late on this eh? lol
Last edited by Chevelle19V at Nov 22, 2009,
Haha, a little late, but your advice is still appreciated =) and yeh ill definately get the 30w model if i can afford it =p
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
I've played both and I bought the Vypyr. I got the 30 watt because of the extra features and the 12 inch speaker. I think it can do any genre out there if you take the time to experiment with the different amp models and effects. It has so many options some people don't have the patience to figure it out. I also highly recommend getting one of the Peavey Sanpera pedals when you have the money.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 22, 2009,
thanks guys, looks like the Vypyr reigns victorious!! and those sanpera pedals...about £40-50 aren't they?
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah