I know the Pit is hardly the place for a serious topic, but you guys have surprised me before, so whatever.

There are national days for all kinds of stupid things, so why don't we have a 'National Smoke Alarm Day'?

Smoke alarm batteries are supposed to be changed once a year, on top of regular testing. There're adverts on tv every so often, and some of them are kinda dramatic, but they don't actually make me get up and do anything about it. If we had a day every year where the message was plastered all over the news, television in general, radio, newspapers, and the internet then I bet a load of people would change the batteries on their smoke alarms.

I'm not saying that every single person would suddenly be overcome by the irresistible urge to test and replace the batteries on every smoke alarm within a 3-mile radius, but even if it only saved a handful of lives then it's surely worth doing?

Thoughts? Know of any similar schemes etc?
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Last edited by cm261 at Nov 22, 2009,
k, setting my hair on fire

brb

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
I agree with TS's plan for world domination by planting bombs in fire alarms that are detonated if they are tested on a certain date.

Also, I actually do think this is a good idea.
Do you work for the government?

If so I really wouldn't use The Pit to try and get ideas for national campaigns, it will only end in tears.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
if every smoke alarm went off at the same time, it would cause so much sonic disturbance that everyones head would implode

dude you clearly need to give this more thought
We're supposed to test them every week though lol. Over here we have regular adverts to remind us. One day a year would probably just make people think you only had to do it once per year.

I reckon that the best way of getting people to do it would be to scare the crap out of schoolchildren by putting fire awareness on the curriculum and showing them videos of the horrible results of a fire, like dogs' graves and burns victims. Then they'll pester their parents and we'll ultimately have a whole generation of paranoid smoke alarm testers.
Smoke alarms are for losers, the smoke will wake me up.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by rigiddigits
I reckon that the best way of getting people to do it would be to scare the crap out of schoolchildren by putting fire awareness on the curriculum and showing them videos of the horrible results of a fire, like dogs' graves and burns victims. Then they'll pester their parents and we'll ultimately have a whole generation of paranoid smoke alarm testers.

Or to set fire to a few houses at random every couple of nights. They could put it on TV too, people could dial a premium rate number to elect friends and relatives houses to be burned down. May even sort the recession out a bit.

Then they can have special Pay Per View ones where they set fire to a school or a hospital. I'd watch.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by faultyy
Or to set fire to a few houses at random every couple of nights. They could put it on TV too, people could dial a premium rate number to elect friends and relatives houses to be burned down. May even sort the recession out a bit.

Then they can have special Pay Per View ones where they set fire to a school or a hospital. I'd watch.

And using funds generated through these televised burnings, they could fund fire alarm testing advertisements. It's a great plan!
It's not weekly surely? I thought it was like, every 6 months? But people never test the damn things, so a day a year would be a good start, no?

EDIT: AHA! Just looked, and you are supposed to test weekly (WTF?!) and CHANGE the battery once a year. So maybe it should be a national day where everyone changes the batteries in their smoke alarms?
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington

basschat.co.uk
Last edited by cm261 at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Smoke alarms are for losers, the smoke will wake me up.

+1
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Lol yes, but you'll wake up dead. Or crispy.
Quote by bodyheatseeker

Quote by Scutchington

basschat.co.uk
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Smoke alarms are for losers, my ass on fire will wake me up.

fixed
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

That would be a silly idea, doing an annual day would suggest it only needs to be done once annually, when you're supposed to do it weekly.
Hence the correction. I'll edit the OP to avoid this confusion.
Quote by bodyheatseeker

Quote by Scutchington

basschat.co.uk
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?