Someone please tell me there is a trick to this. It is a strat bridge and the solder just will not stick to the bridge. I tried scuffing it up a bit with some steel wool, still to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, ciao.
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
Last edited by Wylde at Nov 22, 2009,
Soldering the ground wire to the bridge. sorry should have been a tad more specific.
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
He's trying to ground his ground wire to the bridge. I'm not exactly sure how to do this, but someone on here does.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
well when you soldier you want to heat what you wish to bond so both pieces are hot enough for the soldier to melt into them. you probably wont be able to get the bridge that warm and even if you did youd be burning up wood. if i were you id find another place for the ground wire. i had a similar problem in my strat and i just stuck the ground wire inbetween the tremolo spring and spring claw so its stuck there and it made good contact and has held up well for months. and soldiering anything on the bridge would probably be a bad idea anyway because tremolo use would eventually wiggle the wire loose anyway
i actually did the same and stuck it under the spring on another strat. But originally fender had soldered it to the bracket that the springs clip onto on the body side of it, not the tremelo side. So its actually not on a spot that would move.

Quote by Wylde
i actually did the same and stuck it under the spring on another strat. But originally fender had soldered it to the bracket that the springs clip onto on the body side of it, not the tremelo side. So its actually not on a spot that would move.

yes thats the sprng claw i was talking about. i thought you meant the bridge itself. well if you really wanted it soldiered you could take the claw out for soldiering and make sure youre using rosin core soldier and when you do it heat up the claw and wire untill the soldier melts onto them. DO NOT just melt soldier over it or it will not stick.
thanks a lot, i'll do just that

In all my builds i just solder the ground wire to a metal washer thats super lgued into the normal control cavity (providing it has room). It has yt t fail me and is far simpler to connect as you can wrap the wire around through the hole to hold it in place for you.
yes but, that would not ground the bridge, strings or tuners.

hhmm i see what you mean but i dont get any buzz or anythign when touching tose pieces. even on high gain settings and volume.
Super heat did the trick, thanks for Michael, and everyone else for their input.

Quote by Fridge101
hhmm i see what you mean but i dont get any buzz or anythign when touching tose pieces. even on high gain settings and volume.

i would suggest grounding the bridge....
It really is smarter to ground the bridge because then it take care of the bridge tuners and strings, as mentioned.

if you really don't get any buzz you're a lucky one.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Using a quality soldering tool with quality solder is best... the cheap stuff will work, but it doesn't get quite hot enough for easy application... also use flux... and practice heating and applying on directly to something else without dropping the solder... ect....
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 22, 2009,
If its a normal strat trem, what most people do is solder the ground to the claw (the thing that holds the other end of the springs. If its a hardtail, I usually just stick the wire up through a hole under the bridge and let it touch the bridge. When you tighten down the screws holding the bridge on it holds the ground wire in place.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
^

Solder one end to the claw, OR feed the end into the post hole. Fan about 10mm worth of wire out from the end, then slide the post in so it makes solid contact. That's what you'll find in most guitars. You have NO chance of soldering to a chromed bridge post.
use flux
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I'm having a similar problem. Couldn't you just use electrical tape and tape it to the bridge?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Soldering to a trem is a pain and usually unnecessary.
Use a crimp-on ring terminal and attach with a screw.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Soldering to a trem is a pain and usually unnecessary.
Use a crimp-on ring terminal and attach with a screw.

good idea man, next time ill do that

Solder won't stick to metal that's even a little dirty or oxidized, clean it off with flux or, like I do, a dremel with a wire brush attachment.
On my peavey Raptor, there is a little hook-like thing on the claw. I put the wire on, clamped the metal thing down, then heated it up, soldered the hell outta it.
..I was watching my death.