Hi guys!

So, hopefully soon I'll be getting my first PROPER amp! The only amps I've had are a 10w practice Yamaha amp (which is sadly my "main" amp), a Marshall MG (broken) and Vox Valvetronix (also broken)

I'm VERY influenced by Eric Johnson, and love the clean settings he gets from his Fender Twins, but also love his driven tone from the Marshalls as well, so my question is..

Can a Marshall do relatively good cleans BETTER than a Fender does a relatively good driven tone?

Of course, I'm not limiting myself to those two makes, so any advice is VERY appreciated! If it makes any difference, I'm going to be buying some pedals as well to go with the amp, so a driven tone can be replicated from that, but I need some advice please?

Thanks!
Tom!

Tl:dr - Marshall Clean tones > Fender Driven tones. Or any other amps that I should look into?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
What's your budget?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by sTarbuck

Can a Marshall do relatively good cleans BETTER than a Fender does a relatively good driven tone?

that really depends on which you need more, and which you need to be more authentic. Marshall cleans won't really sound like fender cleans, and fender dirt won't really sound like marshall dirt.

i'm not too well up on vintage fenders, but just by listening to loads of clips, some of the vintage fenders had very nice overdrive (the tweeds, especially). and the earliest marshall was pretty much a copy of a tweed fender bassman, i think, but with british-style valves, speakers and cabs (and presumably transformers and other components etc. too)..

as jak says, we need to have a budget. There are a lot of people making marshall and fender clones, and they're likely to be better value, not to mention closer to the original spec, than either fender or marshall.

Problem regarding eric johnson (and as i said, i'm not too well up on vintage fenders) is that his clean tone is more blackface in tone, i think. And the fenders with the best overdrive are tweeds, I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Marshall has never been the leading brand for cleans.

But for both Fender cleans and classic Marshall drive I'd suggest a high end Fender tube combo and a Rothwell Hellbender pedal.

It will get you great cleans and really good classic Marshall tones.

Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4sFNZeuwQ
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Nov 22, 2009,
^THis was exactly what I was thinking
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly