several months ago, i took my first bass - an unbranded cheapo bass with PJ pickups - that just sounded plain bad, and i defretted it, filled the slots with wood filler, and put several layers of poly on the fretboard. i've left it alone since then, having no money to buy new electronics and hardware for it. also, it has a weird nut. originally, the nut wasn't glued on very well, and when i took off the strings right before the defret process, a simple nudge and the nut fell off. now what i didn't realize, is that since its defretted, the nut slots would need to be closer to the fretboard, and i merely glued it back on. my first question is: should i file down the nut slots or pry the nut off and sand the bottom of it (so when i glue it back on, the slots will be closer to the fretboad)?

also, this bass is in need of completely new hardware, i'd figure i'd get new stuff in this order: pickups, tuners, eq, and bridge (the bridge being the only even-close-to-quality hardware on this). also, i'm not even sure if my input works, i know there are huge wiring problems inside this bass, but i'm not sure if it's the fault of the input.

pickup recommendations plz?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Last edited by TheTortured at Nov 22, 2009,
Depends on if you'd prefer a cheap upgrade or nicer ones. like GFS for cheap ones or Duncans
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd really like to make this an awesome bass. At the moment I have about $200 to spend on pickups, but I'm in no rush and can save up more.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the old saying goes. A cheap bass will still be a cheap bass after you change out the pickups. It will be better, but it won't suddenly become a great bass. The same goes for a hardware swap. If the nut is falling off, that is indicative of poor overall quality. Save your money for a better bass.