What are some good ways of keeping myself awake without taking any caffeine?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a lot of work to do and an upcoming assessment. It's unfortunate but for the past two days I've found myself with chronic heartburn and respiratory problems probably due to acid refluxtion. Against advice, I'm actually not going to see the Doctors until after my exams and SGSs (seminars) which finish next week Friday.
I find that I'm getting sleepier everyday even though I've most definitely had sufficient sleep this past week. I'm also taking tablets for my heartburn but I don't believe they're drowsy either. So, how can I keep myself awake for my work without wanting to nod off, keeping in mind that I'm in quite a bit of pain and that any caffeine-related supplements will exacerbate the symptoms?

I've tried showers and that's about it. Eating fruits is bad for my heartburn and exercising hurts. I understand that hardly any of you are experts but I'm just wanting some general advice on past experience on keeping yourself awake or what you find to be helpful.

Thanks.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Nov 22, 2009,
Go for a run. It'll keep you awake for a while afterward.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Showers is a big no-no, il get sleepy from showers.

Maybe making stuff uncomfortable. Maybe you can visit some kind of health/sleep forum? I am (as most of us here) not an expert

Hope you find a good solution.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Dont do the work and fill shelves for the rest of your life
Dreams Are For Pussies.
Have someone smash your hand with a hammer every time you start to fall asleep. Then you'll familiarize sleep with pain. It's called conditioning, just like Pavlov and the dogs.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
Sleep more. take melatonin supplements before bed.
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
adderall
ritalin

enjoy.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Go for a run. It'll keep you awake for a while afterward.

DO NOT RUN. You'll be more tired about an hour later.

Two words though-

Ice. Cubes.
Make a playlist on iTunes with 2-3 medium paced, mellow Rock songs, then one really heavy, loud Metal song (Evile, Necrophagist, Megadeth). You'll jolt yourself awake, and make it random, don't make a 2 to 1 pattern or you'll get used to it and it won't surprise you.
Quote by AreaMan
DO NOT RUN. You'll be more tired about an hour later.

Two words though-

Ice. Cubes.

Good thinking - I'll keep the heating off. It's not the quite the suggestion you gave but you gave me an idea
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Keep things cold
Do some muscle exerise (eg 10 or 20 pull ups) it releases pheremones and keeps your body alert for quite a while. dont do cardio though it tires you out a lot.
Drink lots of water.
Do your work in short bursts and make sure to keep yourslef entertained in between them.
Loud fast music
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by guitar12
tea

coffee

coke

Wow... did someone miss the point?
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
do pushups or something.. they will keep you active, but unlike running, you wont feel tired like 1 hour later.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Uncomfortable chairs, and if you're going to be extreme about it, slap yourself in the face whenever you feel the sleep creeping up on you.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

The Prodigy, Kyuss & Lamb of God. Through headphones. At full volume. Whilst playing some form of online shooter if possible. Always keeps me awake
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Insert foot into bucket of water and stick tongue into wall socket... works everytime.
~JP~
Keep it cold wherever you're working (turn down the thermostat).
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
last few times i've had to study/work for extended periods of time, i put this and the few other drum 'n' bass tracks i have on loop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5r7KZ9ONs

of course, i don't have the problems you have, but these songs kinda get me pumped. in a good, non-distracted sort of way.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Just go to the Nightmare Inducement thread. You'll never fall asleep again.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by bullets34
Keep it cold wherever you're working (turn down the thermostat).

that actually makes me sleepy. I woudl turn it EXTREMELY up
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I've kept the heating down so I'm absolutely freezing and I'm now starting to do my work. In 3 hours time, you'll know whether I've done my work or not when I come back.

Thanks.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by sam b
You're back?!

I am indeed for this Christmas. I should really put that in my signature as everyone keeps asking .

EDIT: I am still doing work
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Harmz!

I'm tired all the time atm, doc gave me some pills to make me sleep better but they don't work so good lol. To stay awake, I'd recommend running your face and hands under cold water when you're feeling sleepy, and drinking plenty of cold things.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I'm in the same position. Thought it's more the book being really boring that putting me to sleep that I have to read, so I'm slapping myself to stay focused, and it's working. lol
Page 1 of 2