I've got a couple questions regarding the bridge on my Ibanez GRG (here's the guitar: http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-GRG170DX).

1. My vibrato arm keeps falling out - it won't stay in and I can't get it to screw into place as it should.

2. How would I go about setting up the bridge? It's currently leaning towards the bridge pickup, which I understand means that the spring tension is less than the string tension.

3. After I set it up to be level, is the bridge usable or should I avoid trying to do dive bombs?

I checked the FR setup thread, but it seemed that FR bridges are a lot more complicated than the Fat 10 that my guitar has. If possible, can I get a step-by-step guide to answer my questions?

Much appreciated, UG.
Alright, so the Fat-10 is just Ibanez's take on a Strat-style bridge, no? If so, the easiest way to get everything level is to tighten the tremolo claw which can be found in the back of the guitar, underneath the pickups.

As for the trem arm. Are the threads stripped? If so that'll be your problem.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
With my grg170dx, there should be a little screw behind the trem arm that you screw in to keep the arm in place. (push the bar all the way down to see it.)
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Ok. I don't have locking tuners, so I don't think I'll be doing anything with the arm - it's more aesthetic, really (also, I won't lose the arm anymore).

How about leveling the bridge? It's currently leaning in noticeably towards the bridge pickup.
Did you read my post? Tighten the springs.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I have tightened the springs and the bridge is level with the body.

I don't see anywhere to screw the tremolo arm in - I opened up both of the two ports on the back. The bit that goes into the bridge doesn't look like it screws in - there are no little ridges on it.
There's no way to secure the arm, I think. Perhaps if you could get a spring that was the right size, you could put it in the hole, but I'm not sure. I just don't use mine.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I guess. To be honest, it's a nice guitar once you've got it set up. I took mine out of the case for the first time in 18 months and it was in tune and played great. I put some nice pups in it too and it sounds great. Never getting rid of this.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Ok, does your tremolo arm have a threaded end?
Quote by Marty Friedman
No they don't. It just slots in then falls out lovingly. Nothing you can do about it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

There's no adjustment screw ala the Edge III? If so, wrap some teflon tape around the trem arm. Use as much as it takes to give you some traction.
Quote by Marty Friedman
You won't be able to do dive bombs, not 2 anyway. It will go out of tune to quick. That tremolo are only usefull for minor vibratos etc.

1. If the arm keeps falling out there either was a plastic or rubber "tube" that was holding the arm snug on the inside. Have it always fell out or only recently? If always you've gotten the wrong arm with your guitar.

2. Tighten the screws at the back of your guitar that hold the springs. Then gradually loosen them, half a turn at a time (2 screws right?) untill you have the desired action.

3. Dive bombs on guitars without lock nuts is pretty pointless as your guitar will go out of tune very easily.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808