Ok I have dropped my teacher because i felt that I wasn't getting much from him and I he didn't sound like where i wanted to go. I as I mentioned on an other post I self taught myself chords, barre chords, open chords and now i am in the scale stage. He said my strumming technique was bad and I am not good at alternate picking. But are bad habits really that bad? I mean i learned to play Sega Genesis w/ the control upside down and I can play with the best of the right side control players. What about Hendrix, Arctic Monkeys and others who taught themselves? I'm sure all their techniques weren't perfect. So i ask are some of the bad habits we get from self teaching really that detrimental?
Yes. Bad habits lead can lead to unnecessary tension that a couple hours of correct practice could eliminate entirely. If you strum poorly and cannot alternate pick well, then my recommendation is to practice these and smooth out your playing. The one habit that is worst of all is anchoring. That's where your finger(s) (often the pinkie and/or the ring finger(s)) are touching the body of the guitar at all times. If you do this, practice playing without anchoring until that become habitual. There's a reason we call bad habits "bad" - they are a real detriment to playing.
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul
Ok I have dropped my teacher because i felt that I wasn't getting much from him and I he didn't sound like where i wanted to go. I as I mentioned on an other post I self taught myself chords, barre chords, open chords and now i am in the scale stage. He said my strumming technique was bad and I am not good at alternate picking. But are bad habits really that bad? I mean i learned to play Sega Genesis w/ the control upside down and I can play with the best of the right side control players. What about Hendrix, Arctic Monkeys and others who taught themselves? I'm sure all their techniques weren't perfect. So i ask are some of the bad habits we get from self teaching really that detrimental?

It really depends where you want your playing to end up. If you want to end up being a world-class shredder then you will need to eliminate ALL the bad habits from your playing but if you just want to be able to play like Hendrix and the like you don't really need to have perfect technique.

That being said... I don't see why you shouldn't have perfect technique as much as possible, you don't want to end up limiting yourself in case your taste changes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well i wanna play blues/Blues Rock, and I like alternative rock like The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul
Well i wanna play blues/Blues Rock, and I like alternative rock like The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys

Then as long as your relaxed your technique isn't hugely important but I would also refer you to what I said earlier about limiting yourself down the line in case your taste in music should change.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul

I'm primarily self taught and now I'm kicking myself for not correcting some of my bad habits when they first formed. One thing that you should try to stay away from is anchoring. It can lead to a lot of bad things including carpal tunnel syndrome.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
I'm primarily self taught and now I'm kicking myself for not correcting some of my bad habits when they first formed. One thing that you should try to stay away from is anchoring. It can lead to a lot of bad things including carpal tunnel syndrome.

I pretty sure I don't anchor my hand is usually floating. (Anchoring is when your hand rest on the bridge right?)
You can be self taught and become a great guitar player, but if you have a really good teacher you can get there sooner.
Quote by jsepguitar
You can be self taught and become a great guitar player, but if you have a really good teacher you can get there sooner.

That may be so but i don't feel motivated w/ a teacher . I think teaching myself makes me happier i dont like the feeling of just doing assignments. I think my self interest in certain things is what drives me. And also it seems like teachers don't have the sound that I am looking for. So how am I going to get that sound learning from them?
A teacher can help put you on the path but only you can keep yourself there. Having a great teacher can help exponentially but you have to trust in their judgement. Finding and expressing yourself through music will come regardless so might as well have an edge.
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul
That may be so but i don't feel motivated w/ a teacher . I think teaching myself makes me happier i dont like the feeling of just doing assignments. I think my self interest in certain things is what drives me. And also it seems like teachers don't have the sound that I am looking for. So how am I going to get that sound learning from them?
A good teacher will give you the tools to sound like yourself, not just teach you to sound like they do.

You should try and sort out areas you are weak in if you want to get good - if you struggle with strumming and alternate picking there is going to come a point where that limits what you can play.

If you're just playing purely for fun and aren't worried about improving then I'd just try and avoid bad habits that make you play with more tension, as that can lead to injuring yourself.
ohhhhh **** i'm dumb what does that have to do with anything?

anyway

one really important thing is that a teacher will push you. if he is pushing you in the wrong direction and telling you to learn things you don't want to, it might slow you down, because you'll be wasting your time half trying to get better at something you don't care about.

if you get a teacher that will let you get better at what you want to get better at, then lessons will be beneficial. most people need a teacher to push them to do basically anything - memorizing the fretboard, learning theory, improving technique, removing bad habit.

unless you have perfect discipline and already know what you're supposed to be doing, you should get the best teacher you can find. you should also read absolutely every article and book and website on guitar.
Appreciate all the comments. I think im going to take the self taught route just because i know what motivates me and the sound I'm after and so far 3 teachers have yet to get me further then i brought myself. Maybe i will pick a teacher in the future when I am stuck or have developed a habit that has just completely ruined my playing. Will working on Strumming, Alternate Picking, and hope to post vids for some constructive feedback. Funny how its my right hand that sucks... when It's the dominate?
Quote by The_Lonely_Soul

Yes, bad habits are that bad. If bad habits weren't bad they wouldn't be called "bad habits" What made Hendrix great was that he took shits that were more creative than than 95% of any professional musician ever to walk the face of the planet...not his playing, there's other guys who could play well too...they weren't as famous as Hendrix. You can be "self taught" as long as you know what it is that you're doing. Pick up a technique book or something and they'll show you what to practice.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
In my honest opinion, what constitues as a 'bad habit' is that which is harmful to your health. Ive been self taught for the best part of 4 and a half years, and its only now im in musical education, however one thing ive noticed, those who have been taught all the way down the line don't really have their own style, they seem almost robotic and too perfect in their playing. (Obviously this wont apply to all of them, i'm just speaking from my own observations).

But those who are self taught, to me, have a distinctive style, even if it may be a little sloppy, or may lack oomph that a player who has been shown would have gained.

So if something is hurting you, or is uncomfortable in any shape or form, then change it, or seek guidance whether it's from a teacher, friend or the internet.

But if you don't strum 'properly' or your picking is different to the norm, i wouldnt change it. It's all of these minor details that add up and give us our 'musical personality'.

After all, you wouldnt expect a child who lacks a school education to change the way he talks, reads or writes to fit that of someone who has been to school and studied, because it wouldnt be him.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Quote by M_G
those who have been taught all the way down the line don't really have their own style, they seem almost robotic and too perfect in their playing. (Obviously this wont apply to all of them, i'm just speaking from my own observations).

This isn't a problem of being taught, this a problem of the teacher who did the teaching. A good teacher will simply give you the tools to create your own style, they won't impress any of their own personality on the student. Like Joe Satriani, all the famous people he's taught have their own definite musical identities and styles that you can tell a mile off. John "John5" Lowery is a similar case; he's had any number of teachers and his music is still very easy identifiable.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by M_G

But those who are self taught, to me, have a distinctive style, even if it may be a little sloppy, or may lack oomph that a player who has been shown would have gained.

But if you don't strum 'properly' or your picking is different to the norm, i wouldnt change it. It's all of these minor details that add up and give us our 'musical personality'.

After all, you wouldnt expect a child who lacks a school education to change the way he talks, reads or writes to fit that of someone who has been to school and studied, because it wouldnt be him.

M_G is pretty much in the same school of thought as me. Just like i mentioned b4 with the upside down sega control. I never needed to learn how to play it right side up to be great. Idk but IMO as long as it sounds good it prob shouldn't matter if I play it like every other 5 million clones. But i do see the need to fix my strumming (For Smoothness) And alternate picking (For speed) cause i could prob do it with all down strokes but i guess i would be making it hard for myself.
Quote by Geldin
The one habit that is worst of all is anchoring

Hey ever heard of Mark knopfler. ever seen him play. it's oddest thing ever but hte music is insanely complicated.!!!
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
Quote by padfootpak
Hey ever heard of Mark knopfler. ever seen him play. it's oddest thing ever but hte music is insanely complicated.!!!

lololol X famous person does it so it can't be bad!

Read the sticky and go away.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
lololol X famous person does it so it can't be bad!

Read the sticky and go away.

Both of you need to stop. It always ends up as a flame war and the thread gets closed.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄