Hello all, currently im playing a Schecter C1fr i really enjoy it, but i am wanting to get a V. With all the different clones and knock offs, im not really sure where to start looking.

I deffinatly need 2 humbuckers and a floyd rose style trem. I have not played through anything with EMGs befor, so i cant comment on what brand pups i would lean more towards. But tone wise i would like something pretty versatile.

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Jackson RR's and the more tradational V's? The RR looks like it would be alot more comfortable to play while sitting, but without the bottom wing is there enough body weight to balance with the neck?

Price i would like to stay around a grand, can go a little more, but im not interested in the entry level 200-400$ ones.
If you like Schecters then go for a hellraiser V with the EMG TW set in it.The pickups are pretty damn versatile,though the tone is a love or hate thing.Some people would rather hang themselves than use actives while others wont use anything but actives.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

As far as the active/passive goes, im not really biased either way. My biggest problem is, i refuse to mail order a guitar and im in an area with just a couple small music stores and the only V's i have found is a couple Jacksons. I dont mind going on a "road-trip" one weekend to find some, im just trying to narrow down the selections.

And on the mail order line, i would much rather by from a local store rather than a large chain, ya you pay alittle more but the after sale service is almost always alot better than the major chains. I can look up store within like 2 hours of here and go to them once i have a couple specific ones im looking for.
Im not sure if you will find a new V with some high-end pickups (EMGs, Duncans) in the price range you offered. I have an ESP LTD V-500 and I really can recommend it. If youre looking for a V with a trem you can try the LTD V-401DX but its quite expensive (more than 700$ bucks for sure). EMGs in mahogany produce brutal tone, the clean tone is also nice but its not warm and bright like a les paul or a fender. Anyways keep looking, ive heard Schecters are pretty decent guitars, you might also want to try Washburn.
http://www.rondomusic.com/reaperbc.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro6wh.html
if you can find one on ebay/craiglist on your area, ask to try it. people say they are awesome except for the LFR. but you have $400 extra for that.
other reccomended ones are:
Jackson RR5FR, Phil Demmel, Used KV2
ESP or edwards SV or NV (you'll only find them on ebay)
Bc rich: NJ jr V, Deluxe Jr V. Kerry king V (overpriced. it's the same as those 2 but with funky paint)
I think that you will now be able to find used Gibson shred V's. they had EMG's and a khaler. they were a guitar of the month for 2007 or 08

lol: the guy before me posted the same Agile. they are fine guitars.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 22, 2009,
He said he wanted something VERSATILE so DEFINITELY not EMG's.

Id recommend a Jackson RR. I play an RR3, had it for a little over a year. Good guitar, pickups are versatile, but not of the best quality and I plan to replace them with a Bare knuckle Warpig in the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. Great Tone, Playability is like nothing Ive played before. You can play it sitting down just fine (classical position) It does have a little bit of neck dive on it, but if you have a hand on the neck (which you should if you're playing) its fine. Jackson is supposed to make some of the best LFR's around and this one does not disappoint.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
He said he wanted something VERSATILE so DEFINITELY not EMG's.

Id recommend a Jackson RR. I play an RR3, had it for a little over a year. Good guitar, pickups are versatile, but not of the best quality and I plan to replace them with a Bare knuckle Warpig in the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck. Great Tone, Playability is like nothing Ive played before. You can play it sitting down just fine (classical position) It does have a little bit of neck dive on it, but if you have a hand on the neck (which you should if you're playing) its fine. Jackson is supposed to make some of the best LFR's around and this one does not disappoint.

This statement reeks of Ignorance.

If you can't get versatility out of a set of EMG pups then you need to learn how to EQ an amp properly and how to take advantage of your guitars controls.Their tone may not be for everyone,but to say they aren't capable of versatility is just being foolish.They're used for many genres,not just metal,and in the hands of a competent musician they can achieve a wide variety of tones.I've used them to play jazz,blues,classic rock,punk,hard rock,and metal,so it can be done.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Schecter V-1 Classic. Neck-thru, Korina body, Seymour Duncan passives. Enjoy.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
EMGs are fine for versatility. I use mine for pretty much everything. Im not a fan of the RR3. The rosewood they use felt really cheap to me. I hate how it feels, especially on bends higher up on the neck. I would go with an LTD or the Agile would work out pretty well.
Quote by Pr0gNut
This statement reeks of Ignorance.

If you can't get versatility out of a set of EMG pups then you need to learn how to EQ an amp properly and how to take advantage of your guitars controls.Their tone may not be for everyone,but to say they aren't capable of versatility is just being foolish.They're used for many genres,not just metal,and in the hands of a competent musician they can achieve a wide variety of tones.I've used them to play jazz,blues,classic rock,punk,hard rock,and metal,so it can be done.

You're right sir Im wrong. EMG'S ARE GREAT AT PLAYING THINGS THAT ARNT HIGH GAIN METAL. Get off the fanboy wagon and wise up, they're mediocre at best and the only place where they really excel is Death/Black Metal.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
You're right sir Im wrong. EMG'S ARE GREAT AT PLAYING THINGS THAT ARNT HIGH GAIN METAL. Get off the fanboy wagon and wise up, they're mediocre at best and the only place where they really excel is Death/Black Metal.

My god you're a fool

They only excel at high gain tones? Yes,that's why many jazz players use them due to the even frequency they provide.Blues players certainly don't use their single coil models because of the added presence and round tone they give in comparison to their passive brethren right? Of course not,that would be ridiculous.Also,we all know that rolling back the tone and volume a bit doesn't clean up their signal and give them more of a warm lower gain tone.They also don't offer models with coil splitting capabilities because that would just be absurd right?

You claim I'm part of the bandwagon,yet you're simply a child who speaks from the point of ignorance because he heard others say they aren't versatile.I've used them extensively both live and in studio and practice sessions,and while they may not be my number one choice,they're still well rounded and versatile pickups when put in the hands of a capable musician.Then again,you probably wouldn't know anything about that,so I can't blame you for being a misinformed kid.

Quote by VanTheKraut

Active pickups were originally designed for blues. The intention was to create a high-output pickup that would allow a musician to more easily naturally overdrive the amp. EMGs are well known as metal pickups, but they are perfectly good for just about everything. They aren't necessarily the best available pickup, but they are by no means bad.

Furthermore, they excel at more then just Death/Black metal. It's a piece of equipment designed for high-output. Equipment is generally not categorized by genre (with the possible exception of effects, since the blues doesn't sound good with a Boss Metalcore pedal).
I would go for a regular V if your looking to sit with it. The RR was almost impossible for me to sit with, it kept sliding off my leg.
Quote by Pr0gNut
My god you're a fool

They only excel at high gain tones? Yes,that's why many jazz players use them due to the even frequency they provide.Blues players certainly don't use their single coil models because of the added presence and round tone they give in comparison to their passive brethren right? Of course not,that would be ridiculous.Also,we all know that rolling back the tone and volume a bit doesn't clean up their signal and give them more of a warm lower gain tone.They also don't offer models with coil splitting capabilities because that would just be absurd right?

You claim I'm part of the bandwagon,yet you're simply a child who speaks from the point of ignorance because he heard others say they aren't versatile.I've used them extensively both live and in studio and practice sessions,and while they may not be my number one choice,they're still well rounded and versatile pickups when put in the hands of a capable musician.Then again,you probably wouldn't know anything about that,so I can't blame you for being a misinformed kid.

HAHAHA Thank you for putting him in his place! It pisses me off when people bash EMGs. I use them for everything from metalcore to neoclassical to blues, pop, and hard rock. That's right. My C7 Hellraiser can go from Killswitch Engage to John Mayer in a couple of seconds. I wouldnt really go the Jackson route, unless you like the feel of their rosewood on the fretboard. I personally dont like I said but I guess it's just preference. Sorry for all the text lol
Quote by minchew
HAHAHA Thank you for putting him in his place! It pisses me off when people bash EMGs. I use them for everything from metalcore to neoclassical to blues, pop, and hard rock. That's right. My C7 Hellraiser can go from Killswitch Engage to John Mayer in a couple of seconds. I wouldnt really go the Jackson route, unless you like the feel of their rosewood on the fretboard. I personally dont like I said but I guess it's just preference. Sorry for all the text lol

You're welcome

I just don't like when people speak from the point of sheer ignorance,because it's intellectually dishonest and misleading to people that come here looking for help about things they don't know about.

Anyway,the C7 HR is a damn fine instrument,I was going to get one in black but decided to shell out the extra $ for an Ibanez prestige RG1527.What year is your model? The one with 707TW's?

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I was definitely interested in the Schecter, Jackson, Esp and Dean models. I do have access to a Jackson Dinky and my Schecter, i personally like the Schecter better, but am open to other options ya know.

Probally gonna try and hit up the GC when i go home for Thanksgiving and try a few different ones out.
Yeah, I have it in black the 707s in it. I found it in a pawn shop in mint condition. I traded a Gibson Faded V for it, and I talked them into throwing in a danelectro pedal with it lol. But I agree. Its damn fine. I love it.
Have you had a look at a schecter B2? It comes with a floyd too ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

In my opinion an RR doesn´t sit as well or stand as well as a symmetrical V. Having no weight on the bottom horn doesn´t leave anything to counter the weight of the neck as you guessed... and while sitting there is barely enough horn there to hold it on your leg. For me at least... I feel like I have to tense up too much to keep it there, whereas full sized V´s don´t feel like that to me.