When I pick a string, whether it be just normal 90 BPM quarter note picking of an arpeggio, scale, or even just slowly working my way up the neck, I hear a "puh" sound before the note comes through. It occurs very fast, but is noticeable when going slow at normal or higher volumes.
This noise does not occur when I hammer on/pull off.

What could this be? Is my treble/amp shit/guitar shit/my leg putting pressure on the jack? Or... is this a guitar technique problem I have?
This occurs even when I pick very lightly, I can sweep quite fast (though I'm not that good yet) and this sound crops up then and is causing me some problems.

Any advice? thanks
Pick noise. Try using a pick that isn't so noisy.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Thicker picks, less treble in your tone, less tone on the guitar, pick with your pick more parallel to the strings... I think that's about all the solutions I can think of for pick noise.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
that's just the way it is...if you intently listen to picking guitar in most music, you can hear the pick noise. it's not a bad thing.
Yes it's especially annoying for us heavy handed pickers... it can be quite a shock to hear it for the first time on a recording too where things like this become even more annoying. Aside from the previous suggestions with EQ adjustments... I would say you may also consider lowering you pups just a bit... this can really reduce pick noise. Of course, good technique can work wonders, but it can only do so much. Some of us just pick harder.
~JP~
Quote by Jammy Pige
Yes it's especially annoying for us heavy handed pickers... it can be quite a shock to hear it for the first time on a recording too where things like this become even more annoying. Aside from the previous suggestions with EQ adjustments... I would say you may also consider lowering you pups just a bit... this can really reduce pick noise. Of course, good technique can work wonders, but it can only do so much. Some of us just pick harder.

What's a 'pups noise'?
Do you know of any EQ to remove it? Just out of curiosity :P

+ thanks to the above posts, though 'i_don't_know's post wasn't too helpful with the recommendation for solution.
Quote by TheChosen1One
What's a 'pups noise'?
Do you know of any EQ to remove it? Just out of curiosity :P

+ thanks to the above posts, though 'i_don't_know's post wasn't too helpful with the recommendation for solution.

Sorry, for future reference... "pups" are also known as pickups.

Try to lower your pickups a little bit... maybe they are adjusted a bit too high up and too close to the strings and so every noise you make with the pick comes through the amp- use the adjustment screw to either side of the pickups and lower them a little bit on each side and see if this helps... more than likely it will.

Unwanted noise usually gets picked up when the pups are too close. You'll find that there's a sweet spot where the pickups sound best... often people have them too high or too low.

Also, with regard to EQ, I'm simply saying that sometimes too much bass or too much treble can make things even worse when the pickups are adjusted too high.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 22, 2009,