Ok im at a stage where im trying to use both down and up strokes together when playing riffs but find that i tend to catch the strings more on the up strokes. So my question is how much angle should i use and should i be rotating my wrist so that my attack is the same for down strokes then reversed for up strokes????? or should i keep the pick flat in my fingers and try to angle it against the strings if you get what im trying to say lol.
I dont thing keeping the pick flat would help. When i do that the strings press against my pick too hard, what i do is angle the pick down for upstrokes, not too much, just a bit, same as with downstrokes, i angle the pick up a bit.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
try to have the pick perpendicular to the guitar, so that the resistance feels the same for both downtrokes and upstrokes?

make sure you're not digging the pick into the strings. you only need to brush the very tip of the pick on the strings in standard playing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 22, 2009,
Umm...not sure how to answer this one.

I've never actually hit a string with the flat part of my pick. It's too....odd feeling. I use the leading edge (that being the edge toward the neck) and hit the string at an angle, reversing the angle for up-strokes. Using the edge gives it a brighter tone, and the minimal surface to surface contact makes it easier to pick faster.

Results may vary...
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
M'k, probably change your wrist at about a 15 degree angle. For the same force, definitely try to keep it at the same force yourself and try to use about the same amount of muscle. A good excercise (spelled that wrong) is to forget about the left hand, and then palm mute with your right hand while alternate picking. Try not to keep the pick flat, and be sure to watch your arm movement as you practice the excersize (doh!).
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Ok so i should rotate my wrist between up and down strokes and have just a bit of attack on my pick yes? I can play most things like master of puppets , american idiot and smells like teen spirit will mainly all down strokes and they sound good but i don`t want to get in to bad habbits.
Yeah.

I think American Idiot consists of down strokes in the beginning, but it then proceeds to a pattern of up and down strokes after the very first bar.

In case you may get into bad habits or anything, be sure to have a consistent pattern of down, up, down, up. You shouldn't have an odd pattern, such as up, down, down, up, up, up, down, up or things such as that.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Suggestion- Try picking up Dream Theater's "In The Presence Of Enemies Part I". It will probably make you wanna commit suicide in the beginning, but it will do wonders for your alternate picking. Part I mind you-Part II really WILL kill you.

Hold the pick with a slight forward angle of 10-20 degrees or so. Let as little pick as possible stick out between your fingers.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 23, 2009,