I don't know to much about the components in guitars, I just like to play them. So if any of you on here with knowledge about pickups can help me out I would really appreciate it.

I have an sg with emg 81/85s in it. I dont play the same heavy music That i used to when i got the pickups. I play more blues, cleans, classic rock tones than i do metal. Any recommendations on pickups for what i like to play now? Can you put passive one in an active setup or is it a hassle? Any info helps, thanks.
Last edited by BlackBatStrings at Nov 22, 2009,
It is much easier to go from Passive to Active then vice versa -- all you have to do is swap the pickups out, whereas with active pickups you must route out a hole for the preamp's battery. Since you will now have extra space, you should put some LED Lights instead!

What amp are you running, and what is your budget?
It means gutting the WHOLE guitar and having a complete rewire on your hands.

Everything down to the pots, capacitors and the jack will have to be replaced. Even the switch, I think.

But if that's how far you want to go for a new sound, then be my guest.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Yeah new pots will be a must not to sure about the switch or jack. Shouldn't be to much of a hassle.
What's wrong about the pickups you have now that you'd like to change? Have you tested them thoroughly with your new genre choices and decided they don't fit the bill or are you assuming they won't?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by imicius
It is much easier to go from Passive to Active then vice versa -- all you have to do is swap the pickups out, whereas with active pickups you must route out a hole for the preamp's battery. Since you will now have extra space, you should put some LED Lights instead!

I'm looking for a new amp to, but right now I'm running a line 6 spider II 75wt.
Budget would be like around 100$ usd dont want em to pricy.
Quote by Juadafi
What's wrong about the pickups you have now that you'd like to change? Have you tested them thoroughly with your new genre choices and decided they don't fit the bill or are you assuming they won't?

They cant handle clean tones well at all, they're a little to aggressive for me too much kick i guess. IM just not into the same music as i used to be.
Last edited by BlackBatStrings at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by imicius

Um, no, you have to switch out all your electronics. Switching out the pots and jack, etc. is much more of a hassle than swapping out the pickups.

I don't really know any good pickups for what you want for $100 or under. Most vintage pickup replicas are going to run you ~$100-$150 each. You can try something like Iron Gears or something like that. Guitarforce has a special for members of MLP forum for $125 a set and you could pick something up like the Lord of the Blues set. Otherwise, I honestly would probably suggest spending money on a new amp. EMGs sound bad clean imo, but imo, anything is going to have a degree of sterility on a Spider. That's just the way they are.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 22, 2009,
If you switch from actives to passives, you have to change out the pots, the jack, the switch can stay. You also need to somehow drill a hole so you can run a ground wire from your bridge to the back of the volume pot, yeah basically you got to rewire it all.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
100-150 is alright so any others that you know of around that would be good. And yeah i figured the bit about my amp, thats why im looking into a new one.

Any one know about how much it would cost me to have my guitar redone for passive?
I'd say like 70 bucks or more, but learn how to solder and you can do it yourself. Save you tons of money in the future.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by BlackBatStrings
100-150 is alright so any others that you know of around that would be good. And yeah i figured the bit about my amp, thats why im looking into a new one.

Any one know about how much it would cost me to have my guitar redone for passive?
Depends how much the tech charges you. It can really vary, anywhere between $30 to something ridiculous like $90 or $100 bucks even (that I've seen).

If you have $150 to spend, I'd get a set of Guitarforce Lord of The Blues while they're still running their MLP special price, but getting a set of boutique pickups while playing through something like a Spider is really kind of... well, yeah. Not to mention, high end vintage replica pickups tend to be somewhat transparent, and will expose a bad guitar quite easily.

If you really don't like the EMGs, then by all means change them, I wouldn't argue against it since you would inevitably change them anyway, but keep in mind that even if you drop the cash on a set of new pickups and are not satisfied with your sound (post honeymoon period), that there is a clear limiting factor in your signal chain.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 22, 2009,