Okay, so recently i realized that after playing guitar for 2+ years, i know nothing. I can't read music, i know hardly any theory, i cant transcribe by ear, and i hardly know any scales or songs, and i hardly know the notes of the fretboard. Sooooooooooo, i've decided to delve into the world of theory to maybe kickstart everything else. Does anyone have any advice on how fast i should learn or what to learn first?
since u already know how to play personally i would say start with scales, but learn them on the whole fretboard

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
It's not a race, you learn something until you know it, there's no point in rushing something and going onto something else if you don't understand it.
Only you can decide how fast you go. Music theory is weird like math. Some people can look at it, get it right away and apply it. With other people it takes some time to work into your brain and all of a sudden you'll understand what's happening. As for what to learn first, start from the ground up. Intervals, basic scales and triads, seventh chords, modes and so on.
Theory goes deep. You could spend years just scratching the surface. I think you should start out by learning notes and intervals, learn how to construct the major scale, and learn how to build chords.
Quote by ragingbear
Okay, so recently i realized that after playing guitar for 2+ years, i know nothing. I can't read music, i know hardly any theory, i cant transcribe by ear, and i hardly know any scales or songs, and i hardly know the notes of the fretboard. Sooooooooooo, i've decided to delve into the world of theory to maybe kickstart everything else. Does anyone have any advice on how fast i should learn or what to learn first?

If you can't learn it in 6 months, your not a real musician.

* yeah thats a joke

Seriously though, you should learn it at a pace thats doable for you. Know that it's something that people study for years. Don't worry about it, just do it..... learn & enjoy.

where should you start....

learn to read music
get a theory book and or a teacher/class
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 22, 2009,
Don't worry about theory for theory's sake either - only learn stuff you can actually use. That means look to familiarise yourself with things that will help you understand the music you listen to and play the most.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com