I noticed Jack White is using something to enhance his leads, what is he doing? I tryed a Whammy Octave up and it doesnt sound like it, sounds like he has an overdrive to begin with, does he turn his Big Muff on? Any help is appreciated.
he has some unothordox guitars, (plastic, copper) so that might be part of it. on wikipedia it has a list of all the pedals he uses, it must be one of those, but im to lazy to looki it up,
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
he uses a POG which gives him that weird sound on blue orchid, and i think when he uses his whammy IV he goes 2 octaves up and down
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Jack uses a POG, which lets him have a thicker sound to make up for the lack of a bass.

It Might Get Loud is very cool, Jack and Jimmy have a great blues jam, which makes the Edge feel a bit left out. But the Edge possibly has one of the best stories, cos its basically every high school kids dream come true
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Last edited by Fraydawg at Nov 23, 2009,
God I hate it when people talk out of their asses.
He uses cheap guitars made mostly in the 60s (Like his Montgomery Airlines for example) , some made out of plastic , some out wood.
A year ago Gretsch made him a custom that was copper plated , but thats another story.
His main distortion comes from his amps , also 60s Silvertone amps (made by Danelectro if my memory serves me right).
The volume , master volume and gain on the amps are set to max , he also drives them hotter with a normal MXR Micro Amp that is always on.
Apart from that the actual speakers from the cabs are driven so hard by the volume of the amp (and beacause they are low quality) they distort the sound aswell.
For his solos he has a Digitech Whammy (IV I think , tough I might be wrong) and a EHX Big Muff on a separate A-B box , and he brings them into the loop.
Once he presses on the AB the Muff enters the loop and adds that thick huge sounding Fuzz , and the Whammy only works when he presses the actual pedal (so he can use the Fuzz whitout the Whammy)
Most of the Whammy usage is on the +2 octaves setting but ,on Seven Nation Army he uses the Whammy on -1 octave.
He also uses an EHX POG on Blue Orchid.

You could probably get his standard tone with any tube amp with the gain all the way up and a booster in front of it (MXR Micro Amp or a Zvex SHO should get you there).
This will get you in the ballpark , but you still wont sound dead on like jack whitout all of his gear and his really simple method of playing.
Cheers.
Last edited by Kroaton at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Kroaton
God I hate it when people talk out of their asses.
He uses cheap guitars made mostly in the 60s (Like his Montgomery Airlines for example) , some made out of plastic , some out wood.
A year ago Gretsch made him a custom that was copper plated , but thats another story.
His main distortion comes from his amps , also 60s Silvertone amps (made by Danelectro if my memory serves me right).
The volume , master volume and gain on the amps are set to max , he also drives them hotter with a normal MXR Micro Amp that is always on.
Apart from that the actual speakers from the cabs are driven so hard by the volume of the amp (and beacause they are low quality) they distort the sound aswell.
For his solos he has a Digitech Whammy (IV I think , tough I might be wrong) and a EHX Big Muff on a separate A-B box , and he brings them into the loop.
Once he presses on the AB the Muff enters the loop and adds that thick huge sounding Fuzz , and the Whammy only works when he presses the actual pedal (so he can use the Fuzz whitout the Whammy)
Most of the Whammy usage is on the +2 octaves setting but ,on Seven Nation Army he uses the Whammy on -1 octave.
He also uses an EHX POG on Blue Orchid.

You could probably get his standard tone with any tube amp with the gain all the way up and a booster in front of it (MXR Micro Amp or a Zvex SHO should get you there).
This will get you in the ballpark , but you still wont sound dead on like jack whitout all of his gear and his really simple method of playing.
Cheers.

+1 wow