I was hoping you guys should shed some light on this subject.
When i play the first position of the ionian mode its like

e 2-3
B 3-5
G 2-4-5
D 2-4-5
A 2-3-5
E 3-5

Can i assume that i can just use the same fingerings but on a different note if i wanted to play in a different key for the first position?
yep they can. also u can change the fingering, for example the cmaj scale can be played like this
E||-----------------------------
B||-----------------------------
G||-----------------------------
D||-------------------7--9--10--
A||---------7--8--10------------
E||--8--10----------------------

or this
E||-------------------------------
B||-------------------------------
G||-------------------------------
D||------------------------9--10--
A||-------------8--10--12---------
E||--8--10--12--------------------
You should check out the FAQ in the stickies and learn the major scale by the intervals if you haven't already. Scale shapes and patterns confuse a lot of people once they think that moving a position on the fretboard will make what they are playing modal.
Quote by Tim.Paragon
I was hoping you guys should shed some light on this subject.
When i play the first position of the ionian mode its like

e 2-3
B 3-5
G 2-4-5
D 2-4-5
A 2-3-5
E 3-5

Can i assume that i can just use the same fingerings but on a different note if i wanted to play in a different key for the first position?

Yup, that's how it works.

Quote by Well.......
Scale shapes and patterns confuse a lot of people once they think that moving a position on the fretboard will make what they are playing modal.

Well, I've heard that said here many times (and only here actually) and I'll say again that patterns and shapes don't confuse people, if anything they help people. The mistakes people make regarding modes isn't the fault of the shapes, it's more a matter of approach.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky

Well, I've heard that said here many times (and only here actually) and I'll say again that patterns and shapes don't confuse people, if anything they help people. The mistakes people make regarding modes isn't the fault of the shapes, it's more a matter of approach.

I've seen people who think that if they play "A Dorian" over a A minor progression it will give it a different sound and they will be using the mode. And when they say that they mean to play something like this.

E||-----------------------------
B||-----------------------------
G||--------------------------5-7--
D||-------------------5-7-9-------
A||------------5-7-9---------------
E||--5--7--8-----------------------

But, I don't know, and I agree that the shapes can be useful.
Quote by Well.......
I've seen people who think that if they play "A Dorian" over a A minor progression it will give it a different sound and they will be using the mode. And when they say that they mean to play something like this.

yea but it will give a different sound. thats the point. using the modal names or "shapes" is just a way to make it easier to remember instead of a bunch of accidentals.

i think the problem is that people dont explain this well enough.
Don't worry about modes yet - just think of it as the major scale. Once you have that nailed, and are comfortable you fully understand it, and can construct it in any key, and can use it comfortably - thats the time to think about modes if you're interested in them