i have a 4 string fretted ibanez, play rock and metal. it was and still is my first bass and ive almost had it for a year. i want to get a new bass soon and im thinking about fretless. whats the difference besides fret buzz?
fret buzz?

well it's harder to play.
Has a more muddy tone? I think.

I think they're cool.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
slides are a lot easier and sound a lot nicer, harder to play seeing as you have to be more precise with the placement of your fingers, and more stuff related to that
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by GaijinFoot
fret buzz?

well it's harder to play.
Has a more muddy tone? I think.

I think they're cool.

Fret buzz is when youhave your finger close to a fret or not pressing down hard enough on the string and you get a buzz kinda sound
I wouldn't say the tone is muddier, creamy seems more appropriate. It's harder, yes, but more impressive if you can do it well, and it does seem to garner more respect if you can play fretless, assuming that you're not getting one with lines.
As a bass player myself, I can tell you that a fretless is never a bad thing to have in your arsenal. The fretless gives a moaning, growly sound; akin to a traditional double bass. It can be challenging to play, but luckily there are fretless basses with lines where the frets would be, allowing you to see what you're doing, and if you read tab, you're able to transfer your knowledge a little easier. A fretless will also fit into your styles, but you have to be creative, especially when playing metal. Sting played a fretless Ibanez for much of the early Police material. And one of the best "metal" songs I can think of with a fretless is Metallica's "Until it sleeps." Jason Newsted plays a wonderful flowing line during the soft verses, and during the chorus, you can hear Newsted's typical pounding bass line, with an added edge from the growly fretless.
Quote by izbbass
i have a 4 string fretted ibanez, play rock and metal. it was and still is my first bass and ive almost had it for a year. i want to get a new bass soon and im thinking about fretless. whats the difference besides fret buzz?

Think about that for a second. You're wanting to say that a fretless with have more clack than a fretted since the strings are so close to the fretboard.

Depending on what strings you use, you can get a nice deep and bassy tone that's smoother than a fretted with roundwounds. You could get a new fretted and defret your Ibanez, pretty much everyone does it. I love mine now and a fretless can give some great sounds.

Fretless basses are very fun to play and really improve your intonation and precision. Not having frets can open up a whole new world of sounds. When I do fills that involve slides and hammers/pulls there's a huge difference in how each sound, not too mention that it gives a totally new feel to a feel when on a fretless.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Think about that for a second. You're wanting to say that a fretless with have more clack than a fretted since the strings are so close to the fretboard.

Dont know what your reading. but i guess i should of said fretted=fret buzz
^ I was at this jazz festival last year and there was an upright player that had a lot of wood buzz. It reminded me of dumb and dumber when Jim Carrey asks "Do you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?"

It was too bad, because the rest was actually pretty good.
My friend only plays fretless since he plays the double bass. I tried his custom shop ESP fretless bass couple days ago and the only thing i have to say is the slides sound more organic.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
fretless have a mwah, very distinctive singing tone that you cannot achieve on a fretted bass.
Got me thinking. I have a pretty cheap fretted bass. I always like the idea of forcing yourself into more accuracy. Sounds like the fretless could take you there.