i would like to know the same.
i think overdrive is to do with having a pushed tube amp sound, whilst distortion is to get a heavy overdrive sound, i'm probably wrong, but someone will know more
my opinion.. i could be wrong but... overdrive is like you said.. more to boost your gain on an amplifier... but can also be used for just blues and stuff... distortion is bassicly more for if you amp has no gain what so ever and you wanna play some heavy stuff
distortion cuts the wave of the sound. thats the only function, whereas overdrive puts more volume into the amp, causing the waves to go outside the range. when the wave go outside the range, they get clipped, which caused a distorted sound

distortion is a better way to get controlled settings with distorted sound, ie, bass, mids, etc.

at least, thats my interpretation
Overdrive- Mimics the sound of a tube amp pushed to it's limits
Distortion- Distorts the signal? I'm not really sure
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Distortion is a higher gain od
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Drool_Mouse
distortion cuts the wave of the sound. thats the only function, whereas overdrive puts more volume into the amp, causing the waves to go outside the range. when the wave go outside the range, they get clipped, which caused a distorted sound

distortion is a better way to get controlled settings with distorted sound, ie, bass, mids, etc.

at least, thats my interpretation

Both do both of those. Sorry.
Quote by britishsligean
wikipedia doesn't realy help

What? It has all the information posted here, and more.
I can't think of a searchbar joke.

I'm going to refer to both "overdrive" and "distortion" as distortion.

"Overdrive" as in an overdrive pedal, is a smoother, creamier, and warmer sort of distortion. It's sometimes reffered to as "soft-clipping" because of the tonal qualities. "Overdrive" is meant to emulate the sound of a lightly to somewhat heavily pushed tube amp.

"Distortion" as in a distortion pedal, is a much harsher type of distortion. Such as "overdrive" is called soft-clipping, "distortion" is called hard-clipping. It supposed to emulate a tube amp that is fully pushed to the max.

Usually "Boost" pedals and "Overdrive" pedals are mixed up because "Boost" pedals increase the volume of your guitar's signal, which pushes the preamp of a tube amp, creating "overdrive", but this is amp overdrive and not pedal overdrive.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees