13 57%
Line 6 Crunchtone
1 4%
Something else
5 22%
Voters: 23.
Hello everyone,

XMAS is around the corner, so I get to pick a new pedal

I already have good distortion pedals, Line 6's Dr. Distorto and Über Metal and Vox Satchurator, so I was thinking in getting an OD so that I can play some bluesy songs.

My first question is, since I already have a tube amp, do I need an OD? Will an OD pedal make my amp sound better or just the same?

If I do in fact will benefit from an OD, which one should I get? My first listing is thus:

- Digitech Bad Monkey
- Vox V810 Valve Tone
- Line 6 Crunchtone

What do you recommend?
Badmonkey is cheap and I like it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
Badmonkey is cheap and I like it.

agreed. perfect as an overdrive and an incredible deal
Use ebay, got mine for $19

edit; badmonkey that is.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at an electro harmonix us big muff pi

The Big Muff is a fuzz, not an OD. Completely different type of pedal.

I say Bad Monkey out of those. Great boost.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've owned both the BM and the Crunchtone. The crunchtone was really awful to listen to, I couldn't find any use for it. I loved the BM, but it broke but I plan on buying a new one.
Hello everyone,

Thanks for contributing!

I think the Bad Monkey is, indeed, the best option, but I'd like to know if it will make my tube amp sound different.

I mean, several people told me that since I've got the tubes, that I don't need an OD, that it won't make much difference.

What's your opinion?

Cheers!
the bad monkey can also be a boost pedal. if you turn the gain down and the volume up its a great clean boost that i think will work great with a tube amp. the od in it is also very transparent and really lets your tone get trough. try it. it's so cheap that if you don't like it its not that big of a loss. and you can always sell it on.
Quote by strangedata
I mean, several people told me that since I've got the tubes, that I don't need an OD, that it won't make much difference.

those people are idiots and should use their mouths for more productive things than spreading lies, like sucking c0ck... they'd make good c0ck-suckers.
Last edited by GrisKy at Nov 23, 2009,
its a great clean boost that i think will work great with a tube amp

So this means that I'll get the tube sound without having to go up with the amp's volume?

I usually want to take advantage of the tube sound, but it's sometimes too loud for my apartment.

Could I also get such output by, for instance, reducing the sustain on a compressor and turning its level high?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I understand that the Bad Monkey is on the cheap side, but I'll have to pay almost the price of a new one just to ship it to where I live.

Cheers!
I had a Bad Monkey for quite a while and really enjoyed it. The crunch sound is pretty good for a pedal of it's price. Also, the separate high and low controls make it work really well as a boost - better than my OCD anyways (and that's a $150 pedal)
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The guy that can ship it to me told me that the BM is on back order right now.

He suggested a few other pedals that I might like and are on the same price range:
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Danelectro Cool Cat V1
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive V1

Of these, only the Screamin' Blues is promptly available. The BM will be here by Dec 15.

So, what do you think?

Cheers!
I had a bad monkey, but honestly it wasn't the pedal I was looking for. I was looking for a pedal where I can play clean and overdriven without switching the pedal; and this pedal is the MXR Micro Amp....so when I strumm softer it's clean tone, while strumming harder gives you an overdriven tone.....nuff said
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by Nergal22691
agreed. perfect as an overdrive and an incredible deal

I must strongly disagree. As an OD it sounds pretty bad compared to other pedals on the market. However, when used as a boost it is amazing. Either way, its a great buy for $40.
Quote by strangedata
The guy that can ship it to me told me that the BM is on back order right now.
The Bad Monkey sell out a lot but that's only because it's so worth having. Either get one somewhere else or wait for the 'guy' to get more.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
How does the Bad Monkey Compare to the Dano Cool Cat OD?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish

And the Transparent Overdrive?

Also, what's the difference between the V1 and V2 of these?

Cheers!
Quote by TheBurningFish

Cool Cat OD beats the crap out of it, you'll be hard pressed to hear any difference between it and the Fulltone OCD it's a copy of. Fantastic.

The Bad Monkey is a severely overrated pedal. Good for the price, but that's all.
Quote by kyle62
The Bad Monkey is a severely overrated pedal. Good for the price, but that's all.
That's all anyone is saying. Considering you can get one for under $40 if you go used there isn't much reason to avoid it.

Yes, it is a mediocre overdrive pedal. No, you really can't do much better without spending twice as much.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
That's all anyone is saying. Considering you can get one for under $40 if you go used there isn't much reason to avoid it.

Yes, it is a mediocre overdrive pedal. No, you really can't do much better without spending twice as much.

Except now, you can get the Cool Cat overdrives for around £40/$40, and they're much, much better pedals. The reign of the Bad Monkey is over!
Quote by strangedata
And the Transparent Overdrive?

Also, what's the difference between the V1 and V2 of these?

Cheers!

Transparent is the word the marketing people use sometimes for "true-bypass"(-which means no tone suckage when the pedal is turned off, but then why did they not use the actual word for it in the first place, hmmmn...) I not familiar with this pedal though, i think i might check it out later.

The Bad Monkey is well errr cheap, good price espcially used & good for using as a boost. thats all there is to it really...
Last edited by vishal_metalhed at Nov 25, 2009,
Quote by vishal_metalhed
Transparent is the word the marketing people use sometimes for "true-bypass"(-which means no tone suckage when the pedal is turned off, but then why did they not use the actual word for it in the first place, hmmmn...) I not familiar with this pedal though, i think i might check it out later.

The Bad Monkey is well errr cheap, good price espcially used & good for using as a boost. thats all there is to it really...

Wrong entirely, the Cool Cat pedals are all true bypass. The Trans OD is a copy of the boutique Paul Cochrane 'Timmy' while the Drive is a copy of the OCD.

'Transparent' in this case simply means it's a less saturated, subtle overdrive so it should still let a bit of your guitar's natural tone through (which I always considered the Bad Monkey's weak point). Good if you're using it as a boost.
Quote by kyle62
Except now, you can get the Cool Cat overdrives for around £40/$40, and they're much, much better pedals. The reign of the Bad Monkey is over!
As someone who owns an actual OCD and just recently sold his Bad Monkey I'm very comfortable saying they're different pedals. Neither fully eclipses the either. Yes the OCD is the superior OD but the Bad Monkey is a much, much better boost.

If I hadn't wanted the money for a Steel Panther ticket I would have kept the Bad Monkey
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by viking_dan
the bad monkey can also be a boost pedal. if you turn the gain down and the volume up its a great clean boost that i think will work great with a tube amp. the od in it is also very transparent and really lets your tone get trough. try it. it's so cheap that if you don't like it its not that big of a loss. and you can always sell it on.

it is a great sounding pedal, but like all TS style overdrives, it is anything but transparent.
loads of compression, huge mid hump, and loss of bass. these arent bad things, its just dont spread some mis-information about it being transparent.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
As someone who owns an actual OCD and just recently sold his Bad Monkey I'm very comfortable saying they're different pedals. Neither fully eclipses the either. Yes the OCD is the superior OD but the Bad Monkey is a much, much better boost.

You think it would be better to get an OD pedal or use a boost pedal to get the tubes overdriven?

Also, could anyone please comment on the tonal differences between the Cool Cat Drive V1 and V2 and the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive V1 and V2?

Thanks!
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the good info!!!

Almost closed the deal on a Cool Cat drive V1, but the seller offered me some pedals from Artec as well

What do you think of these pedals from Artec:
- SE-DDB Duo Drive Blender
- SE-7DB 70'sBlender
- SE-BOD Blues Overdrive

So many options...

Cheers!
Artec pedals are pretty shitty, stay with the Danelectro.

Just a thought though, you've already got 3 dirt pedals, how about something different like a delay? Delays aren't just for wanky hamonies and shit either, they can warm up and thicken your sound immensely, especially useful if you're the only guitarist in your band.
Last edited by BGSM at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by BGSM

Just a thought though, you've already got 3 dirt pedals, how about something different like a delay? Delays aren't just for wanky hamonies and shit either, they can warm up and thicken your sound immensely, especially useful if you're the only guitarist in your band.

Good point. Chorus is a good one in power trios too.

Your Satchurator will work pretty well as a blues drive, at least for now.
Just keep the gain low (3 o'clock or so), and set the volume high, to really push your amp's preamp tubes.
Quote by BGSM

Oh, I didn't realize that... I saw a few good reviews online, but unfortunately I can't test them before buying (they aren't available around here.)

Oh, I've got a few modulation effects with a Line 6 MM4 and I've also got an Echo Park for a delay. I took the opportunity the get these on my last trip to the US, but now I must depend on people to ship it to me...