hey UG i got a question i hope you guys can help me with. me and some friends put a band together a couple months ago. we have material and wanna record it but my little computer mic isnt cuttin it. we play metal and pump our guitars up with all the distortion we can. so i would like to know some good microphones (usb or microphone jack) i could hook up into my laptop and get near studio-quality sound (with proper recording software, which i have covered). my gear is ibanez rg and line 6 spider 3.
thanks!
Do you have a price range?

I'm a music major and at my school we have access to a full studio along with a wide array of mics. For distorted guitar amps I usually prefer either Sennheiser MD 441s or RE20s. AKG 414s and TLM170s are also very nice, but they're kind of nice for everything (which unfortunately constitutes the steep price tag).

Of course, if you have access to signal processing post-recording (such as adding distortion), you could always attempt to use a Direct In.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
do you have a recording interface? Also do plan on recording live or one track at a time? Even then You're going to need more than one mic if you want decent sound, especially for the drums. Unless you have a good bit of money to invest in recording gear I would suggest putting your money towards some time in a studio.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
SM57! Super versatile, handles guitars, vocals, amps, and drums rather well. Unfortunately, I have only used them in live sound thus far, but if that's any indication of there recording quality, I'd go for it. Around $100 will get you one. I'm planning on buying one when I can afford it.

My own advice for using it on a budget would be to get the USB interface for mics, you can find it bundled with the mic on zzsounds if you search for an SM57. Another thing you could do is use an audio interface like Edirol or Focusrite products.

Happy recording!
Yeah, for $100 SMs are the best way to go. The 57 is very good for guitar amps, but if you ever want to get better vocals look into the 58 as well.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for