Page 1 of 3
I just started working at a charter school where taekwondo is taught to all the students as part of the curriculum. It's my first time seeing TKD first hand, and it looks really interesting. I think I'd like to get into this; I think it would be a good workout and a good way of connecting with my new students.

Anyone here have any experience with TKD? Suggestions?
Death to Ovation haters!
nah it's one of those things that you wanna be sick at after 1 lesson and when that doesn't happen you quit. story of my child hood.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
My brother does it, I do Kung Fu, he really enjoys it. Good exercise, something productive, really good fun. Go for it dude.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Its sooooo gay. I did it for a while and learned nothing. Its all about channeling you zen or something. But then again I was taught by a fat white child rapist so... Hey try it if you wanna, personal opinion, its gayer than skinny jeans.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
I did jujitsu for almost 8 years, and loved every second of it. I learned so much more than just how to defend myself
I've done it for eight years and it's a very rewarding sport. I've learned so much about not just fighting, but mental strength, meditation, the human body and Tae Kwon Do itself. But you have to be careful: certain academies will only train you for tournament-style fighting. Basically, to win medals and trophies thereby boosting the school's credibility. You need to push for actual combat skills as opposed to padded sparring.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by nevermore97
carebox[ ] look its empty

Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
i did it for 4 years it was really fun and i met a lot of people through it

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Just don't use it for self-defense. Know what it's for, and it's great. Just don't expect to kick anyone's ass with it.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
I have trained in ITF and WTF style tae kwon do, WTF is more tournament focused so it has been much more rigorous training than ITF. Either way it's a laugh and good exercise so why not?
i did capoeira for like a year (not really a fighting techinque or martial arts, but it's as close as i have come). in the begining it's kinda frustrating but exciting because you see these guys being kickass and doing awesome shit while you can't do much. but as time goes by, and if you practice correctly (just like the guitar, practice it a lot until you have it perfect and then apply it) you will be great. I was doing great, until, unfortunately, the owners of the training place moved to a place reaaaaaaly far away from where i live.

and, while capoeira isnt exactly used for fighting, it gives you important things you can use to fight: strenght, balance, flexibility, etc. plus, you look uber cool doing some basic jumps or techniques that you learn since you begin.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 22, 2009,
I've done it for eight years and it's a very rewarding sport. I've learned so much about not just fighting, but mental strength, meditation, the human body and Tae Kwon Do itself. But you have to be careful: certain academies will only train you for tournament-style fighting. Basically, to win medals and trophies thereby boosting the school's credibility. You need to push for actual combat skills as opposed to padded sparring.

This be some good advice, you would do well to pay heed to it

Just don't use it for self-defense. Know what it's for, and it's great. Just don't expect to kick anyone's ass with it.

whats the point to learning it if not for self-defense
Quote by British Josh

It's true that at this point of my life, I have very little interest in trophies. I'd be happy to do some of the padded sparring, but I'd like to learn the self-defense stuff too.
Death to Ovation haters!
Do it.

Forget the haters.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Fred1000000

Wow, really? I would like to see you take on an TKD Olympic gold medalist. Im sure you would change your mind after he kicks your face in.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar
Wow, really? I would like to see you take on an TKD Olympic gold medalist. Im sure you would change your mind after he kicks your face in.

Versus someone trained at the same professional level in Muay Thai or something similar? Wouldn't even be fair.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by preludetowar

TKD is not that effecient for self defense as most fights aren't controlled. most street fights are close combat and by close I mean submission styled brawling. Being good at kicking and punching does you absolutely nothing when you're lying on the floor with somebody wailing on you. And don't give me the "well just beat the shit out of him before it happens" as you rarely get the "3...2...1... FIGHT!" when a fight occurs.

like it was said "know what it's for" it's not the best self defense.

and get the olympic gold medalist in a real street fight that he's not prepared for and he will get his ass kicked.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
In a fight, it all depends on the person, not what they're trained in.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I beg to differ...TKD really sharpened my reflexes and its really helped in some tough situations.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by CliffIsAngry
TKD is not that effecient for self defense as most fights aren't controlled. most street fights are close combat and by close I mean submission styled brawling. Being good at kicking and punching does you absolutely nothing when you're lying on the floor with somebody wailing on you. And don't give me the "well just beat the shit out of him before it happens" as you rarely get the "3...2...1... FIGHT!" when a fight occurs.

like it was said "know what it's for" it's not the best self defense.

and get the olympic gold medalist in a real street fight that he's not prepared for and he will get his ass kicked.

The guy said, "Dont expect to kick anyone ass with it". That statement in itself is total BS. You honestly think that a guy who's trained years in TKD would be absolutely useless in a fight?

Quote by Ganoosh
Versus someone trained at the same professional level in Muay Thai or something similar? Wouldn't even be fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9ZXos8LfQ

Now Im not saying that "TKD is superior to Muay thai" Im just pointing out that TKD isnt all that useless like that moron before me said.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Last edited by preludetowar at Nov 22, 2009,
i had it we could fight our teachers, and we wouldnt be allowed to kick them in the balls

Quote by Bizarro
Sorry, but its true.
I did TKD for 4-5 years. The first few were at a McDojo, I'll admit, but the rest I studied under a serious instructor. It's most definitely a dangerous fighting style when taught correctly, and absolutely can be used for self-defense. The beginning stages seem a bit arbitrary for a while, but once you really advance in it, like from 1st degree BB on, it's amazing.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by preludetowar
The guy said, "Dont expect to kick anyone ass with it". That statement in itself is total BS. You honestly think that a guy who's trained years in TKD would be absolutely useless in a fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL9ZXos8LfQ

Now Im not saying that "TKD is superior to all others Muay thai" Im just pointing out that TKD isnt all that useless like that moron before me said.

...wut?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
...wut?

Not you.
Quote by Meths

Quote by Momentosis
In a fight, it all depends on the person, not what they're trained in.

On the contrary, there are clearly some arts that are better for real fighting than others. Judo and jujitsu, for instance, are much more useful arts for real combat than taekwondo. But I don't really care all that much. Taekwondo training would still be helpful if ever ever got into a fight, but I'm not planning to any time soon.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by preludetowar
Not you.

....wut?

I keed.

Just how much TKD helps really does depend on who teaches you. My instructor was a great one,if I do say so myself.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by PatchworkMan
On the contrary, there are clearly some arts that are better for real fighting than others. Judo and jujitsu, for instance, are much more useful arts for real combat than taekwondo. But I don't really care all that much. Taekwondo training would still be helpful if ever ever got into a fight, but I'm not planning to any time soon.

Not necessarily true. A small person will make better use of judo/jiujitsu much better than karate/tkd, but for a tall, lanky person like myself, taekwondo is most definitely the better option.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by PatchworkMan

+1 Look at all the early UFC fights with Royce Gracie, BJJ was very powerful against people who had no idea what it was.

I lurve Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...
Quote by Meths

^ He's just a good fighter though...a person similarly skilled in a striking-type martial art would certainly be a challenge.
Nope, no sig here.
i'm korean so i grew up learning TKD... i regret it..
its more of an ART and sport. if you plan on learning it to learn self-defense and fight, you're screwed. TKD on the defense aspect is absolute crap. for social reasons, i think its great though~ i think most females take up TKD than other martial arts.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
not tkd but i've done a LITTLE martial arts training and it is really fun, you appreciate the art in it rather than just a means of defense or fighting. get exposed to the unique styles of other people, cause not everyone does it like the instructor.

i think you'd like it
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by preludetowar
+1 Look at all the early UFC fights with Royce Gracie, BJJ was very powerful against people who had no idea what it was.

I lurve Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...

Would you happen to know if only the Gracies teach at their studios? I spotted one near my workplace and was thinking about learning BJJ.

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ He's just a good fighter though...a person similarly skilled in a striking-type martial art would certainly be a challenge.

Royce fought alot of good strikers, lol he fought a boxing, TKD and Karate champ and choked their asses out.
Quote by Meths

Quote by preludetowar
Royce fought alot of good strikers, lol he fought a boxing, TKD and Karate champ and choked their asses out.

I'm well aware of that. Like I said, he's a great fighter. It's like putting Dave Mustaine in a shred-off against petrucci, you know? Both are good, but one is better.

And as far as TKD in particular goes, I don't think the UFC has ever really seen someone who makes full use of taekwondo's perks. It's all been closer to Karate.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
Would you happen to know if only the Gracies teach at their studios? I spotted one near my workplace and was thinking about learning BJJ.

Doesnt matter really, BJJ has evolved so much since Gracies time. There are many great teachers out there.
Quote by Meths

Awful martial art.
Amazing sport.

Pretty much sums it up. I'm a blue belt in ITF.
As already said, it really works on your reflexes, speed, and other things. But in a fight you don't wanna throw a roundkick to the head unless you have practiced for years and are very proficient at it. Otherwise, you end up on the ground.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Nov 22, 2009,
Page 1 of 3