I read around and searched, but I couldn't find the answers I was really looking for.

I'm looking to find a bass amp to rehearse and gig with as part of a pop-rock band. What should I consider in regards to the wattage and tube vs solid state when it comes to bass amps.

We intend on micing the amps.

I know more about guitar amps and I always seeked out a low watt tube amp so that I don't have to be too extremely loud on the amp itself to reach overdrive. Do the same principles apply?
Epiphone G-400
Peavey Classic 2x12 Combo
Squier Jazz Bass
Generally, you want 3 times the wattage of your guitarists, unless they know how to turn down. I forgot what the tube/ss ratio was.
If you intend on mic-ing the amps then wattage shouldn't be a huge problem as long as you have about twice as much wattage as your guitarists.

About the overdrive principle, it applies the same as with a guitar tube amp, but i have to ask, are you looking for a slightly over driven bass tone? In my experience, every time i have used a nearly dime'd bass tube amp, i can't get through the ungodly amount of mud.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Smoots, I should have clarified.

I was looking to avoid an overdriven sound - so considering that - I'd be looking to do the exact opposite as I would do with a guitar amp and look for plenty of head room on a bass amp to avoid an overdriven sound.

???
Epiphone G-400
Squier Jazz Bass
Quote by Halakar
Generally, you want 3 times the wattage of your guitarists, unless they know how to turn down. I forgot what the tube/ss ratio was.

I found this a while back on the "The Ultimate Gear Information Sticky".

As a rule we have for SS:
10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:
<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage.

So with that in mind... if my guitarist has say a 100w Solid State guitar amp - and i'm looking to buy a tube bass amp... and 100w SS = 50w TUBE roughly... i'd be looking for say.... 150w tube amp minimum?

REGARDLESS - i did some research and if I want an AMPEG head w/ tubes.... according to Musicians Friend my only option is 300W. =D
Epiphone G-400
Squier Jazz Bass
Quote by Grenade_Jumper
Smoots, I should have clarified.

I was looking to avoid an overdriven sound - so considering that - I'd be looking to do the exact opposite as I would do with a guitar amp and look for plenty of head room on a bass amp to avoid an overdriven sound.

???

If you want a clean sound at loud volume, then you need as much headroom as possible. More power combined with high-wattage, efficient speakers is the way to go.
if you are looking to clean sound a amp with a lot head room is needed with cab with high wattage speakers.

It also depends on how many speakers and the size of the speakers too.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Nov 22, 2009,