Hi! I am planning on getting a new guitar soon and my budget is about $1300. I can go a little above if I have to and yeah, going used is no problem!

I've been playing and getting into a lot of the whole alternative/poppy/experimental genre lately.

ex)

VersaEmerge- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcuczGY3tM

There For Tomorrow- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhckogwNfc

Renfue- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkpjiXxNNCI

and I've also been getting into A Day To Remember - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGTvxm4mcQ4

So I guess you can say I want something that can play those "lead" notes really clean but can also get that smooth, overdriven sound.

Currently I have a Schecter C-1+ (personally, I think the tone is too "dark" and aggressive) and a Mesa Single Rectifier and I boost it and clean it up with a MXR 10 Band and Bad Monkey.

My first choice was a Gibson Les Paul Studio (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...itar?sku=517030 -$1319) in Alpine White.

So what do you guys think? I'm open up for all suggestions and I want my next guitar to not be a mistake. Thanks!
I'd pass on the studio,since their quality is rather sketchy.

If you want an LP then you could look for an Epiphone elitist LP,which are great quality guitars.There are also brands like Edwards and Tokai that make great LP style instruments.If you want to get really fancy,you could probably get a custom shop model from Carvin for the price you mentioned.Carvin makes some really nice stuff,I've personally never heard someone bash them,which is rare on these forums.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

you can look at PRS. but I would think you just need a pick up change in your Schecter. you still have the stock Duncan Designed pick ups in it? cause Schecters are great for those genres.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by DannyRL
yeah i still have the stock pickups. what do you suggest I change them to?

and

how much did Epiphone elitists run for? i see that they are discontinued now.

thats the problem. the stock pick ups aren't that good. you need somethin with more clarity instead of dark/muddy, right? i would look at the Seymour Duncan JB/'59 set. very versatile for almost everything.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by DannyRL
yeah i still have the stock pickups. what do you suggest I change them to?

and

how much did Epiphone elitists run for? i see that they are discontinued now.

The cheapest I've seen was $875 for a used model and the most expensive was $1400 for an NOS model,so I'd say that's a general idea of their price range.

A nice Edwards models will run about $1000 w/ shipping straight from Japan

No idea what Tokai models cost these days

Carvins can be as cheap as $700-$800 or as expensive as $2500+ depending on the model and features you want.They also sell already completed guitars that you can check and out buy immediately instead of going through their custom shop and waiting for your guitar to be built.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by DannyRL

Well,for your budget you could get one of those guitars AND a new set of pups for your C-1, so you can have a back up/alternate tuning guitar that will have a similar sound to your new guitar.

As far as the guitars go,they're both sexy MIJ LP models,so I can't choose.They're both high quality instruments though,so it's a win/win situation.

yeah that's true. I think i'll go with the Edwards, it looks beautiful.

and as for changing pickups, are the choices i chose fine? or should i choose something else?

thanks
Quote by DannyRL
yeah that's true. I think i'll go with the Edwards, it looks beautiful.

and as for changing pickups, are the choices i chose fine? or should i choose something else?

thanks

Well,IIRC the Edwards already has those pickups in it,so you could go for something else for variety and what not.With the extra $300 you could get some very nice pups for the C-1.I'm not sure,but I think a set of bareknuckles runs about that much,and they're some of the best passives I've ever heard.There's also DiMarzio,Lindy Fralin,Rio Grande,PRS pickups,Gibson pickups,and numerous other high quality pup makers out there.Choosing pickups really is a difficult decision,since there are so many out there.

Quote by DannyRL
haha okay i'll look into it. thanks a lot for all the help!

No problem,and be sure to make a new guitar day thread when you get the new axe