I've got a gibson special faded SG that i wanted to turn a dark blue, but alas I was stopped mid way by my parents to which my dad attempted to stain it and the red is now gone..now it's shit brown. So here's what I want to do.

The guitar itself is fine, infact I love it a lil bit, it is just ugly as sin. I wanna ask a luthier to do these things and I'd like to ask your opinion if it's worth paying for.

1.) I wanna repaint the entire guitar either a burst of black-blue or just entirely blue which is what im leaning towards and that's it for the paint, besides putting a PROPER shine on it (i'm not good with paint so I'm not sure what gives a guitar that shine that makes you go "OH MY GOD" but i wanna do it to my sg)

2.) I want to have, instead of dots, small blocks on the neck replacing each dot with one. I would also like to put binding on the neck.

And that would be it. I love the shape of the neck, I love the way it plays, these are the only things I wanna change.
Well, any of that can be done, it's just a matter of cost.
I can tell you that stripping the finish yourself will lower the cost of a paint job significantly.

Inlay work can be done, though having binding put on is going to be rather expensive. You'll have to refret the guitar to do it, so I'd wait until you need a refret and then get the binding done at the same time.
If you're not confident with paints and its something you really want to get done then I'd suggest just taking it to a luthier or the like and getting them to price it up for you.

As for changing the inlays and binding the neck that would be fairly expensive I reckon, You'r probably need to take the frets off of the guitar to do the binding, then re-fret.

EDIT: ^ beaten to it
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
I've had the guitar for about...about 2 years now or so? I'm not sure how much longer before a re-fret is going to be needed. Come to think of it...the binding isn't a major necessity and when the guitar actually DOES need to be re fretted I can have them put it on then.

I also forgot one thing: I wanted to put a new nut on it as well, the I have does not keep tune fairly well. But I'm pretty sure I can grab a good one online or from some of the good guys at UG. I may even grab some of the tuners on the standard LP's.

As for the paint I can do it myself honestly I just need the proper tools to paint it because I don't have a spray gun. You think I could take down the paint, hand it to him and say "Go nuts"?

Quote by Casually_Spoken
EDIT: ^ beaten to it

I appreciate the effort bud
Last edited by SGlover69 at Nov 22, 2009,
I hope you didnt use oil-based stain. If so, your gonna be up sh1t creek, but this time without a paddle, or a boat.

Most people will charge you $400 and up for a paint job. Binding will be very expensive too. You could buy a new, better SG for the amount that any decent luthier is going to charge.
Well Enough Alone
Inlay work is expensive. And adding binding would be to. Having a luthier paint it wont be cheap.

You can get a good finish with regular paint cans. I use a small detail paint gun which was all of 20$ at harbor freight. To get that "shine" it just takes lots of wet sanding then polishing. Go look at project guitars tutorials.
Quote by guitardude11
Most people will charge you $400 and up for a paint job. Binding will be very expensive too. You could buy a new, better SG for the amount that any decent luthier is going to charge.

My ass. You could prime over it, then paint for ~200 including stripping any lacquer that might be on there. And I'm in Canada, so that's closer to 185 USD.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Considering what your asking to have done, I almost think it would be cheaper to just buy a custom that already has this done to it. Refretting and changing inlays requiers a whole new fret board to be custom made, not to mention the binding thing. Your looking at close to a $1000 job after its all done.

I would just repaint it and worry about the frets later when they do need to be replaced, which wont be like for another 5 years.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Refretting and changing inlays requiers a whole new fret board to be custom made, not to mention the binding thing.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Refretting is pulling the old frets out and putting new ones in. Not putting on a new fretboard. (Of course there's more to it than just yanking the frets out, but saying that you need a new fretboard if you want a refret is incorrect.)

Re-inlaying isn't terrible either. Jillard just did it on his Legocaster - all you need to know how to do there is how to use a Dremel. Cut out where the inlays go, put some dark epoxy in there, drop 'em in, and then after they're set sand them level.

Putting a binding on an existing fretboard is more difficult, but I definitely think it's possible. Pull the frets off when you need a refret, and use a guided router bit to put a notch around the perimiter of the fretboard. Glue and clamp the binding, radius sand, oil, and then fret.

build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Last edited by Copaman at Nov 24, 2009,