Cross posted from electric forum because i recived a msg telling me to do so:

So, right then. I'lm looking into getting into electrics after i've been with acoustics for a while. Im not sure yet on what guitar I'll get, but nothing TOO expensive. However, for my 1st amp i was looking at a Vypyer 30. Also, the reason for the 30 vs the 15, was that i was told by several people the stompbox effects were "worth it". I dont really need a ton of wattage. I also looked at vox VT30s and VT15s but i kinda like the vypyer 30s. However, I know many dont like SS amps and SS modeling amps at that. Should i just get a simlarly priced tube amp with a low wattage? This will be my only amp for a long while, and i dont have tons of money to spend on footpedals, which is why i was thinking the "versatile" vypyr 30 would be good to start with, although not a really high quality tube amp. As for tube amps, theres not many within the price range of the vypyr i can find, save for the little epiphone and a bugera 5 watt. Any other thoughts? If it helps, I play alot of different kinds of music, anything from some skynard songs, to shinedown, to blink 182, to green day, to punk-ish songs, pretty much anything but country.
Go for it.

You play a lot of genres, and as such you need an amp that is versatile. Sure, a small tube amp might sound better, but they won't be as versatile. (with foot pedals they could, but you said you don't have much for footpedals).

The Vypyr also will help you decide on what genre you are going to play, and from there you can buy a high end amp suited to the genre you pick.

EDIT: And by the way, I think the Vypyr sounds great.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 22, 2009,
I'd go with a modeling amp if I were you. The tube amps you could get for the same price as the Vypyr 30 won't be nearly as versatile or useful, especially considering the variety of genres you play.
Of course, the best thing to do is to go to a store and try out the amps they have in your price range and just go with the one you enjoy playing the most.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
I've tried a bunch, Like the Vypyr. Also, What are some thoughts on the Fender Frontman 25 or Frontman 25 DSP?

How about the VibroChamp XD? Any good for the types of tone/versatility i'm looking for? or is the Vypyr my best bet?

Thanks guys.
Quote by BS87
I've tried a bunch, Like the Vypyr. Also, What are some thoughts on the Fender Frontman 25 or Frontman 25 DSP?

How about the VibroChamp XD? Any good for the types of tone/versatility i'm looking for? or is the Vypyr my best bet?

Thanks guys.

The frontman is pretty poor quality. The Roland Cube is a damn fine modeller, I like it much more than the Vyper. Try that out if you can.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by fly135
The Vibro Champ XD for $200 is worth checking out.

I'll look into it in stores when i go check some amps out.. Going to try this one out, plus VT15/30 vypyr 30 (and if tried the cube, i like it kinda, not sure though).

Any further opinions are ofcourse, appreciated.

p.s. thanks for putting up with another "which amp" thread
I just bought a Vypyr a couple of weeks ago because I needed a small practice amp for room use, and it has worked out very well. The modeling is great, especially for the distortion channels. I highly recommend them.

The Roland Cubes are good as well. I've only had experience with the microcube, but it had good tone as well. I just think the Vypyrs are more versatile.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I have a vypyr 75 and though i havent played on a cube i can say that im quite happy with the tone i can get out of it considering the price, plus all the versatility with the effects
Of my Microcube and my Vypyr 75, my 75 is far more tweakable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Good to know, thanks. Also going to check out the vox's because there is a rebate one them (50-100$)