Hi all,

So I returned my compressor because I bought it for the WRONG reasons... shame on me.

I am looking to get an OD to tighten up my 6505, I play at bedroom settings and have heard that I can tighten the fuzz up with a nice OD, and potentially get a little better tone out of what I am getting.

I would prefer to stay with MXR because I trust the name and I know the Distortion+ may be right up my alley.

I also have the adapter for it still so I really would love to be able to still use that.

For those who are helping I play a lot of classic rock but would love alternative/modern rock sounds like Weezer, some punk like Blink, etc.

Is what I am looking for attainable? First and foremost I just need to tighten up my fizzyness which I may not be able to do fully because of low volume!

Thanks!!!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
You play those genres and bought a 6505?! Crazy person.

Don't be scared to venture away from MXR. While they're one of my favourite non-boutique manufacturers, there are plenty more to show them a thing or two. And I'm going to suggest:

The Maxon OD-808. AWESOME pedal for tightening up the 6505 (I've run one through my own many a time )
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Bad Monkey, Cool Cat, SD-1? All Cheap and do their job wonderfully.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Yngwi3
You play those genres and bought a 6505?! Crazy person.

It's actually not that strange. Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth uses one...

EDIT: I'm wrong, Thurston used/uses a Peavey Roadmaster.
Last edited by Mutmoo at Nov 22, 2009,
Yeah my uncle recommended me it ages ago and I didnt know a thing -- doesn't do half bad but I want to clean it up.

I have the Jim Dunlop adapter think it would work on these pedals? The Maxon may be out of my price range atm I know its sexy.

Any opinions on the Dist+ ... I have to go with GC because I can swap my comp out for their stock -- they don't have the MXR GT-OD anymore
Didn't you already start a thread about this?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Randy Rhoads used a Distortion+. Not exactly your genre, but it can definitely work as an OD.

I say Digitech Bad Monkey or Danelectro Transparent OD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
A 6505 for..am I reading this correctly? Well, if it works it works.

Distortion+ is not the kind of thing to tighten up an amp, if im not mistaken. Most people tend to go the Tubescreamer route.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I just picked up a DigiTech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. It's basically a better quality OD808 with more options.

If you want to spend a little more definitely go for the Xotic BB Preamp, amazing overdrive.
Quote by )(yperX
I just picked up a DigiTech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. It's basically a better quality OD808 with more options.

If you want to spend a little more definitely go for the Xotic BB Preamp, amazing overdrive.

Not................Tight budget the Bad Monkey would do the job.
Quote by )(yperX

not only is this wrong, it's blasphemous.

ASL's got the right idea with using an EQ in the loop... I've also heard great results with a sonic maximizer following an EQ on a 6505.
It's how it's voiced, not my fault.

I'd stay away from Sonic Maximizer's, they just add a ton of presence and 6505's do not need more presence. An EQ would be a much better choice, check out MXR's.
I run a Sovtek Muff - Boss GE-7 EQ - Boss BD-2 blues driver in the front of the chian and get some great results out of my 5150. The EQ tightens the sound miles better than the BD-2, but for a clean boost, I couldnt be more satisfied. I like using the BD-2 to boost the volume at bedroom levels, gets that "Im almost cranked sound" - albiet unaturaly, but you get my drift.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Dont be at all afraid of Ibanez's Tonelok TS-7 pedal. Great sound and low price. Even most tubescreamer snobs admit it sounds good.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
So I am borrowing my buddys Maxon OD808 -- hes got me spoiled. I am looking at the Bad Monkey because of price though...

I hear some noticable differences, any suggestions for how to tweak more of a classic rock sound? I know settings shouldn't be discussed here but I can't for the love of me dial in anything I really like.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Yeah my uncle recommended me it ages ago and I didnt know a thing -- doesn't do half bad but I want to clean it up.

I have the Jim Dunlop adapter think it would work on these pedals? The Maxon may be out of my price range atm I know its sexy.

Any opinions on the Dist+
... I have to go with GC because I can swap my comp out for their stock -- they don't have the MXR GT-OD anymore

I have an old MXR Innovations Distortion + without the LED or AC adapter (no it ain't the script logo). When I crank the output and turn down the distortion it turns my amps into big bouncy warm fuzzy springy puppy snugglers. I can't say I even know what Blink or Wheezer guitars sound like but there's my take on it.