Hey everyone,

I have been looking for an electric guitar for over a year. I don't own one, I have only played acoustic for the last 5 or 6 years.

Over the course of my search for an electric, I have changed my mind many, many times.

I started wanting a Telecaster, then an Ibanez semi-hollow, then a Les Paul, then a Schecter PT Fastback, then a 72 deluxe/thinline telecaster, then an LTD, and now my current one...some sort of PRS SE. haha. I'm not great at making decisions and sticking to them.

I think the reason I've changed my mind so much is due to the amount I have learned about electric guitars during my search, so I've been 'weeding' out things I don't think I would like, or guitars I've played in a store and didn't like.

I don't get much of a chance to play a lot of guitars to see what I like because the only guitar shops in my area carry only Fenders/Jackson/Dean.

I went to a Guitar Center recently, and saw a PRS SE custom semi-hollow. I picked it up and it fit me like a glove. I have huge hands, and their necks fit me perfectly. I also tried a couple other models from the SE line, and liked them a lot.

So, I was wondering if anyone owns either of these guitars I will link at the bottom, and could tell me if you've had any problems. Also, which would you choose between these two guitars I linked? I play everything but heavy metal. I'd say the 'hardest' bands I listen to are probably Rage Against the Machine, Thrice, or Thursday.

Feel free to recommend another guitar if it has a similar wide, fat neck, humbuckers, and around $600. Thank you guys, I really appreciate and consider your input.

PRS SE Tremonti: (Natural Color)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Tremonti-SE-Electric-Guitar?sku=514470

PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow (probably in natural color)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=514461

Edit: didn't realize I wrote so much so...

Which would you choose between these two guitars? Or recommend something similar. Thank you!
Last edited by TheWaydown at Nov 22, 2009,
I would get the semi-hollow just because I hate single cut PRS.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I would get the semi-hollow just because I hate single cut PRS.

Okay, haha. What is it that you hate? I just want to make sure I know all the negatives and positives about this brand/model before I buy anything.
Quote by TheWaydown
Okay, haha. What is it that you hate? I just want to make sure I know all the negatives and positives about this brand/model before I buy anything.

I don't like the look of them. However the single cut probably suits your styles better.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I dont own either of these models but I own a different SE and have played most of the different models at some point. They are all really excellent guitars for the price. If you play with a lot of distortion maybe a solidbody would be better to avoid any feedback issues but I have never found it to be a huge issue with most guitars (I've played an ES 335 style guitar through a JCM 800 without much problem), just something to consider. You will probably get better fret access with a doublecut than singlecut but maybe that isn't a big deal for you either. Another thing to consider is trem or not, because PRS has a really nice tremolo. I think no matter what model you choose you will be happy. It sucks for me because my SE is flat black and now they come with nice maple veneers and pretty colors. Luck to you.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Quote by fretz86
I dont own either of these models but I own a different SE and have played most of the different models at some point. They are all really excellent guitars for the price. If you play with a lot of distortion maybe a solidbody would be better to avoid any feedback issues but I have never found it to be a huge issue with most guitars (I've played an ES 335 style guitar through a JCM 800 without much problem), just something to consider. You will probably get better fret access with a doublecut than singlecut but maybe that isn't a big deal for you either. Another thing to consider is trem or not, because PRS has a really nice tremolo. I think no matter what model you choose you will be happy. It sucks for me because my SE is flat black and now they come with nice maple veneers and pretty colors. Luck to you.

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that you like them. And yeah, I was using the bands that I listed to just show the 'heaviest' bands I listen to, and they aren't really that heavy at all. They aren't my favorite or most listened to bands. I like a lot of acoustic stuff too, which is why I was wondering if I should get the semi-hollow. I cranked up the distortion with that guitar on a Vox VT50 (the amp that I was interested in) and I think it got to be pretty much as 'heavy' as I would ever need it to be. I don't know, this is stupid but for some reason in my mind, heavy=high quality, which is kind of why I couldn't decide between the semi-hollow and the solid bodies. I loved the sound of the semi-hollow, but it is so light, it just felt cheap or fragile to me, haha. I'm sure that's not true, and I would probably get over it, that was just my initial reaction.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the trem. I had never wanted a trem before, but maybe I should consider it? From reviews I've read on different guitars over the course of my search, it had kind of seemed to me that trems were more trouble than they were worth, haha. I'm sure that is not true with all trems, but I didn't want to deal with tuning issues, and whatever else, but it is good to hear the PRS trems are decent.

I wanted to buy this at my local guitar shop, so I went in the other day just to ask him how much it would be to order this guitar through them, since they do deal some PRS and PRS SE's. He told me in a pissed off voice that PRS just rewrote there contract-type thing making it nearly impossible for small guitar shops to continue to be PRS dealers. I thought that was kind of messed up. I assumed it had something to do with the pricing, but I guess it could be other things too.
I'm going to add some contrast here. The SE line of guitars would be much better value if they were considerably cheaper. As is you get awful tuners teamed with a truly rubbish bridge (fixed bridge models) all of which is responsible for hanging the strings over the worst sounding pickups I've ever heard on a guitar costing more than $99.

I owned one of the natural finish double-cut SE guitars a couple of years ago. Picked it up used for $90 actually. That one was a wicked player. Great feeling neck (satin finish) and just supreme playability. But even for $90 I couldn't get over just how awful it sounded so I got rid of it.

Try extensively before you buy.

Edit: To chime in on the tremolo issue. If you do end up going with a PRS SE I'd suggest getting one of their tremolo models. That way you'll not only have the whammy bar to play around with but also the ability to individually adjust string intonation. Changing strings won't be any harder than with a fixed bridge either. Non-locking tremolos take new strings the same way a string-through-body guitar would. Slide the string up through the back of the body and wrap it around the tuning peg.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 23, 2009,
If I were you, I would go back to GC and buy that semi hollow you really liked. Feel is the most important part of a guitar IMO.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'm going to add some contrast here. The SE line of guitars would be much better value if they were considerably cheaper. As is you get awful tuners teamed with a truly rubbish bridge (fixed bridge models) all of which is responsible for hanging the strings over the worst sounding pickups I've ever heard on a guitar costing more than $99.

I owned one of the natural finish double-cut SE guitars a couple of years ago. Picked it up used for $90 actually. That one was a wicked player. Great feeling neck (satin finish) and just supreme playability. But even for $90 I couldn't get over just how awful it sounded so I got rid of it.

Try extensively before you buy.

Edit: To chime in on the tremolo issue. If you do end up going with a PRS SE I'd suggest getting one of their tremolo models. That way you'll not only have the whammy bar to play around with but also the ability to individually adjust string intonation. Changing strings won't be any harder than with a fixed bridge either. Non-locking tremolos take new strings the same way a string-through-body guitar would. Slide the string up through the back of the body and wrap it around the tuning peg.

Yeah, I've heard the tuners and bridge aren't great. It just sucks because every guitar I have looked at, they all have something that people say sucks about it haha. I played an LTD, and a couple different teles while I was trying out the PRS SE's and a lot of the guitars just felt like they were terrible quality, especially the Fender 72' deluxe I tried. I assume that this might have just been a fluke thing, and not all Fender teles feel like that, but maybe with the way the economy is, these guitar companies just aren't making them like they used to.

Even the semihollow PRS SE I tried that I loved the fit of the neck in my hand on, had 2 really sharp frets. It didn't bother me too much because I know it's an easy fix. Maybe I will have to check out some tremolo models though. I liked the sound of the pickups but then again, I don't really know what sounds good, having never played electric before.

I don't know what to do or what guitar to choose haha. I feel like it's the wrong decision no matter what, unless I am buying something around $2,000, haha. I really want to stay around $600, give or take $100.
The custom & singlecut are both great-feeling, and you would probably enjoy either. The custom does feel sort of light, but if it feels better, you can overcome it. The singlecut feels pleasantly solid. Whichever you think is better, it should serve you well.
"I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf." - Pete Townshend
If you pay $600 for any of them, you're getting hosed.

SE Custom 24s are $399 new.
The Tremonti is $522, but I'd hack a bunch off that.
The Semi hollow has the best cleans of the lot. Worth the cash but I'd still hack at the tag.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by pinballwizard96
The custom & singlecut are both great-feeling, and you would probably enjoy either. The custom does feel sort of light, but if it feels better, you can overcome it. The singlecut feels pleasantly solid. Whichever you think is better, it should serve you well.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote by gregs1020
If you pay $600 for any of them, you're getting hosed.

SE Custom 24s are $399 new.
The Tremonti is $522, but I'd hack a bunch off that.
The Semi hollow has the best cleans of the lot. Worth the cash but I'd still hack at the tag.

Yeah, I've heard people think it is overpriced. It just that it is the only neck that feels really good to me so I am sort of willing to pay for it. I would probably get it offline so I can't really negotiate the price.

However, I haven't tried Schecters yet, and I like the idea of some of those. Anyone know if their necks are similar to PRS? Like wide and fat?
Quote by TheWaydown

Yeah, I've heard people think it is overpriced. It just that it is the only neck that feels really good to me so I am sort of willing to pay for it. I would probably get it offline so I can't really negotiate the price.

Yes you can. Don't pay full pop when a fellow UGer is willing to hack away at the price for you.

Sending you a PM.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have a Singlecut with trem in Tobacco Sunburst, and it's the best thing I've ever bought! Strongly recommended.
UG's AC/DC Lover
+1 to Rocker_94 - I've just got an SE Custom 22 Trem in cherry sunburst with zebra pickups, it is truly f**king beautiful and the best sounding/playing geetar I've ever owned. SE all the way unless you can afford the big bucks for a USA model...
The black prs hollow body is a very good lookin guitar. If i had the money i would drop it on that fast.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
I have one of the SE models and I absolutely love it! The tone is great and the action on it is perfect. I love the 25" Scale and the wide thin neck.

Go for the semi-hallow over the single cut.. I'm not a fan of single cuts is all.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!