the closest connection youve had to anybody whose made it(relatively) big in music

Page 1 of 12
i dont think this had been done before.

ill start with mine.

i grew up about a block away from where the RX Bandits originally practiced.

they practiced in a house on South Shore Drive in Seal Beach. at the time, they were known as Pharmaceutical Bandits. I went to elementary school nearby, and heard them practicing in the afternoon when i was walking home. i know they arent a band that has made it huge, in the mainstream sense, but i see a fair amount of people talk about them. So i thought it was interesting.

what about you?
my friend's dad is in a band that tours and stuff

EDIT: I met Isaac Hayes's guitarist once.
Last edited by thelurker at Nov 26, 2009,
Jonas brother...
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
My friends uncle is the bassist for Three days Grace.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
My friends uncle used to share an apartment with either some or all of the members of Metallica when they were just starting out.

Has a demo tape of theirs that there's only like, 5 copies of.
Quote by thegloaming
i grew up about a block away from where the RX Bandits originally practiced.

they practiced in a house on South Shore Drive in Seal Beach. at the time, they were known as Pharmaceutical Bandits. I went to elementary school nearby, and heard them practicing in the afternoon when i was walking home. i know they arent a band that has made it huge, in the mainstream sense, but i see a fair amount of people talk about them. So i thought it was interesting.

Wow. That's it? I thought this was gonna be like connections with friends/relatives.
I might as well say that I was born in the same city Rush formed in, and I live a block away from a house Neil Young used to live in.
MATTERHORN
lol im ashamed for saying this, but i used to live down the street from the house that R. Kelley lives in (yes, the one where little girls would come to stay). We never saw him though.
my aunt was good friends with the drummer from tears for fears, ha
I'm friends with someone who's mother works with the sister of Tony Rombola (Godsmack guitarist). I got free concert tickets and a backstage pass to meet the band out of it.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
My uncle plays poker with Israel Nebeker from Blind Pilot.

My Spanish teacher went to high school with Jimi Hendrix. Sh even had a few classes with him. She said he was always falling asleep.
Last edited by Sub_urban12 at Nov 22, 2009,
I know all the guys in Mare of Steel and Coffyn Syrup. not really well known yet, but Mare of Steel is getting signed soon, and both bands tour. Coffyn syrup actually did a European tour.

EDIT: Went to the same high school as Paul Reed Smith, and my guitar teacher there is good friends with him! (Bowie High School, btw)
Last edited by blizzboy at Nov 22, 2009,
I friends with a guy whos got a record deal, theyre not real big. Theyre called Press Play. And Hes friends with a guy from Josephine Collective, who also have a record deal, but also arnt very big as of yet. I honestly cant stand that little pop punk thing theyve got going for themselves but I go to most of their shows and hey whatever floats their boats.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

My dad saw Dee Snider's car once.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Went to the same high school that the Screaming Trees went to. I didn't go to school with them, but I suppose it's kind of cool to think I may have had the same teacher as Mark Lanegan at one point.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IbanezRGS
My friends uncle is the bassist for Three days Grace.

We both live in Wetaskiwin. Thats pretty cool about your friends uncle.
OT: None I guess.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I'm currently living on the same street that a band called the Arkells used to live on. I doubt anyone outside of Canada (and possibly even Ontario) will recognize the name, but they're decently big in Southern Ontario (they got a good amount of radio play).
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
My former neighbour is the vocalist of a Norwegian band called We. Although they had already released a few albums when he moved here.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
My band got a producer from Sony to check us out.

How'd that work out?
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
My band got a producer from Sony to check us out.

Did you call him a greasy scum-bag for us? (It'd be funnier if he still signed you.)
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
We both live in Wetaskiwin. Thats pretty cool about your friends uncle.
OT: None I guess.

Really, you live in wetaskiwin? Awesome! lol and FRIEND'S Uncle :P

Quote by RhoadsLivesOn
I'm currently living on the same street that a band called the Arkells used to live on. I doubt anyone outside of Canada (and possibly even Ontario) will recognize the name, but they're decently big in Southern Ontario (they got a good amount of radio play).

*Raises hand eagerly* Ooooh!! I love the arkells!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Last edited by IbanezRGS at Nov 22, 2009,
The English teacher I had when I was a senior in high school is good friends with Jimmy Page. She showed me a picture of the 2 of them at jimmy page's house. She also went to the recent zeppelin reunion concert and got to go backstage too. Pretty cool stuff.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
met the lead singer of Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

also saw wayne coyne naked. it was a music video, but still...i'd say that's a bit of a connection.
my dad's uncle was the drummer for a relatively successful 60s band called teddy and the pandas...

my dad's aunt (i think, maybe great-aunt) used to play the cello for dionne warwick...

my dad's friend's brother is kurdt vanderhoof (metal church)

my cousin (on my dad's side of the family) plays in all kinds of cool/weird experimental bands in boston, also he makes electronic music under the name bigadiga
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
I've met Joe Perry from Aerosmith because he goes to the same yacht club in Cape Cod that I go to.
whilei was in musci lessons i was friends with this guy. he played guitar in some band and he always talked about it but no one cared. Like 2 months ago i searched something in youtube and when i wrote the first word, a name of a song and the bnd came up and I was like "wtf, i thought no one cared for them". they have like 1M views on each video and hundreds of friends and suscribers. they are currently touring. they are a grindcore band, so they will most likely never get mainstream here in mexico or in the word (the songs are in spanish) but they seem to be pretty big in the underground. that's as close as i have come to a guy who made it.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I know the guys from KIX, live near them. Might take lessons from Ronnie.

also, why the 5 people w/o sigs in a row on the front page
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by IbanezRGS
Really, you live in wetaskiwin? Awesome! lol and FRIEND'S Uncle :P

*Raises hand eagerly* Ooooh!! I love the arkells!

Grammer nazi. And yeah i do.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
My Aunt dated Billy Gibbons, my friend's mom's brother was good friends with Billy Gibbons, and my former guitar teacher built the bassist from My Morning Jacket's main bass.

birdsongguitars.com

Go check him out.
I as friends with a guy in high school named Shay bailiff. He's pretty famous in south Korea now. Just YouTube him, there's tons of videos of that bastard. I'm kinda jealous haha
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
Quote by crazy8rgood
How'd that work out?

Quote by HardAttack
Did you call him a greasy scum-bag for us? (It'd be funnier if he still signed you.)

Actually he said he was going to help us out. He also talked with us for a 2 hours about stuff we need to do if want to make it in music. We checked out his studio and he said he was going to help us record a demo.

But he said he wasn't going to help us get gigs because he doesn't want to be a "baby-sitter"
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

My great grandmother was a concert pianist, and my great grandfather married a famous singer (don't remember her name) and they closed all the streets for their wedding.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
My friend's band shared the stage with All That Remains and Trivium at Mayhem fest this year. He was the Jager band at Pittsburgh, and got to hang out with Slayer, Mushroomhead, and like every other band there.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
my uncle is the bassist for kathleen edwards...

A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
My friend's older brother is in AFI.

My bro did a show with Afroman.

My other bro went to high school with someone in Click 5.

A girl who was in my world history class a few years ago blew one of the Kottonmouth Kings.
Last edited by Zombee at Nov 22, 2009,