And I know absolutely nothing about pedals. Well I do know what is good and what is bad (Metalcore, Metalzone etc.). Anyways, I am planning to run this through my JCM 800 2203 (all the trade offers turned into a wreck lol), possibly something else in the future, and here's what I think I want...
- A OD/ Boost or Distortion
- Delay
- Chorus
- Phaser
- Wah
- EQ
- Noise Gate
and maybe a Reverb pedal.

I probably will only get a few of those, but I definitley want an O/D and a delay. I was considering getting a M13, as I have heard nothing but great things about it everywhere, but haven't heard much about it here.

I really only want some recommendations for the delay and O/D, but if you have anything else to add, let me know. I want to push the amp to a Mastodon/BTBAM territory, and was thinking of an SD1 (heard it works great with a JCM 800), maybe a Fulltone OCD (not sure if that can really push me into metal territory, maybe a Hardwire Valve Distortion (I guess Bill Kelliher just started using one). Also heard the Maxon OD808 is pretty decent also. I am not really sure, but I do know I don't want do dump out a bunch of cash, would like to keep it around $100, maybe a little more.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks. If you need to know anything else, let me know.
Last edited by thrasher. at Nov 22, 2009,
The OCD isn't what I'd use to get a tight metal tone...

- Danelectro Transparent OD or Digitech Bad Monkey
-Tech 21 Boost DLA, EHX Memory Boy or Deluxe Memory Boy
- No idea
- Electro-Harmonix Small Stone
- Morley Bad Horsie or Mark Tremonti wah
- MXR M-108
- ISP Decimator
- Malekko Spring Chicken
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just to let you know, I don't believe that JCM 800 has an effects loop, which makes some of these kind of pedals iffy as to whether they work.

For instance time based effects and modulation (delay, chorus, phaser) are better in the loop, a lot better so you'll probably want to test pedals out on your amp before buying.

OD: The Fulltone OCD will push it the most from what I've seen, it has a lot of gain.
Delay: Analog, go with the Ibanez, Carbon Copy, or if you want to splurge Digital Memory. Man. Digital: I absolutely love my DD-7 from boss.
Chorus: EHX Small Clone, great pedal.
Phaser: MXR Phase 90 or EHX Small Stone, I love my phase 90.
Wah: For that metal stuff I would look into Morley's or the Dunlop 535q.
EQ: 10 band from MXR, really really great pedal.
Noise Gate: No question ISP Decimator.
Reverb: I liked the EHX Holy Grail I played, but other than that I don't know.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
My JCM 800 is the reissue, and therefore has an effects loop, sorry for not making that clear.

Dylan, I'll definitley look into all of those. I have heard that the BM is a great boost, and it's cheap, so that might work. Also have heard great stuff about the Memory Boy.

acdclandon: Your recommendations are pretty similar, so it seems the people on here have a common ground on advice. I guess I will look into the OCD and play it. I was looking at pretty much everything you've listed, so I guess I am on the right track. Thanks for the help!
Quote by thrasher.
My JCM 800 is the reissue, and therefore has an effects loop, sorry for not making that clear.

Dylan, I'll definitley look into all of those. I have heard that the BM is a great boost, and it's cheap, so that might work. Also have heard great stuff about the Memory Boy.

acdclandon: Your recommendations are pretty similar, so it seems the people on here have a common ground on advice. I guess I will look into the OCD and play it. I was looking at pretty much everything you've listed, so I guess I am on the right track. Thanks for the help!

Ah sweet! If I were you, I'd put the delay, phaser, chorus, reverb, eq, and possibly the noise suppressor in the loop. Although it really only depends on when you use those effects with a lot of distortion, and you can obviously test them then, and some you will like in the loop and some not.

I'd suggest going used if you can, save some money. I got my Small Clone on ebay for 35 bucks, as opposed to 85 new.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
Ah sweet! If I were you, I'd put the delay, phaser, chorus, reverb, eq, and possibly the noise suppressor in the loop. Although it really only depends on when you use those effects with a lot of distortion, and you can obviously test them then, and some you will like in the loop and some not.

I'd suggest going used if you can, save some money. I got my Small Clone on ebay for 35 bucks, as opposed to 85 new.

That's what I plan on doing. I definitley know I should put the O/D in the front of the amp. And I will definitley go used if possible, unless there are more $50 off of $150 Sam Ash coupons
There are so many pedals out there these days it's hard to narrow things down. But there are a lot of good choices so it's not too hard to find something you like.

As far as OD- I bought a Bad Monkey after hearing so many great things about it. I like it, it definitely works well as a boost and it's definitely worth the asking price. However, I think it's coming off my pedalboard to conserve some space, because I also have a Tube Zone from MI Audio, which I bought primarily as a medium to high gain distortion box, but can also function great as a light overdrive/boost. Very versatile little box, but definitely higher than you're looking to spend, at 200 bucks. But it's worth it. I'm very picky about my distortion tone and absolutely hate most of the top selling boxes I've tried as they just sound too digital and harsh to my ears. This one doesn't. Anyway, it may be more than you need but look into it.

Delay: I use the Line 6 Echo Park- again, versatile, with various modes, and has tap tempo. I like it quite a bit. If you're a purist, though, anything Line 6 probably isn't for you, but worth a look as it's relatively inexpensive for a Delay at $150.

Chorus: I just have a plain old Boss CH-1 Super Chorus that serves my purposes fine. A friend has the Visual Sound H20, a combination chorus and echo, and it sounds great. Economical, too, as it handles delay and chorus duties. Someone suggested the Small Clone from EHX, which is a pedal a lot of people like, but a word of caution- I've heard a LOT of complaints about the Nano Small Clone. If you get the Clone, the big one is probably the way to go here.

Phaser: This one isn't too hard of a choice- you mostly have the EHX Small Stone or the MXR Phase 90. I have a Small Stone, which I like, but I believe the Phase 90 is a bit more subtle. It depends what you're after- as with every pedal. [Shameless plug: I have an ad on the Sweetwater Trading Post for an extra Nano Small Stone of mine right now at $58. If that's the way you're going to go, check out the ad and email me. Sorry in advance if mentioning that is frowned upon here!]

Wah: I like my Dunlop 535Q- again, versatility is a big deal for me and this pedal has it. Also check out the MXR/Dunlop (dunno who's name is really on it) Custom Audio Electronics Wah. Also, there are of course the Vox options, but I don't know much about those.

EQ: MXR 10 band seems to be the way to go, here.

Noise Gate: Don't use one so don't know. Sorry.

Also, as far as the Bad Monkey goes, if you decide you want that there's a rebate offer from Digitech going on until January where you can buy one of their fancy pedals- the HarmonyMan harmonizer or Timebender delay and get one of 5 of their cheap pedals free, one of which is the BM. If you think you'll get one of those eventually, may be worth doing (though not cheap). They also have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on cheaper pedals going on, too- they must be hurting for sales lately (but who isn't, I guess).

EDIT: Also, if you're looking for a board itself, there's a Coffin Case model, SK-110B, that's been marked down. Dunno if it's on clearance or something, but most online sites have had it selling at 50 bucks for a while. It's a pretty decent deal, though not powered or anything. I've got two.
Last edited by Black13AB at Nov 22, 2009,
Don't get me wrong, the OCD does work very well as a boost. However, to me it comes off better for hard rock and blues than for metal. At 18v it's supposed to be more open than at 9v, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you like your tone (open vs. compressed).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Don't get me wrong, the OCD does work very well as a boost. However, to me it comes off better for hard rock and blues than for metal. At 18v it's supposed to be more open than at 9v, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you like your tone (open vs. compressed).

Actually the same is probably true of the Tube Zone I mentioned, which also can be run at higher voltage. It's a great unit, but if you're purely looking for a boost, probably not the best choice, but I honestly can't say because I haven't really used it that way. Generally I run it into the clean channel on my amp.

Hm. While doing a search to see if anybody uses the TZ as a boost, I came across this thread. It might help you out to take a look.

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/6226-dedicated-overdrive-clean-boost-your-marshall-thread.html

EDIT: Wow, with 6 pages of suggestions, that should keep you going crazy for a while.
Last edited by Black13AB at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Black13AB
There are so many pedals out there these days it's hard to narrow things down. But there are a lot of good choices so it's not too hard to find something you like.

As far as OD- I bought a Bad Monkey after hearing so many great things about it. I like it, it definitely works well as a boost and it's definitely worth the asking price. However, I think it's coming off my pedalboard to conserve some space, because I also have a Tube Zone from MI Audio, which I bought primarily as a medium to high gain distortion box, but can also function great as a light overdrive/boost. Very versatile little box, but definitely higher than you're looking to spend, at 200 bucks. But it's worth it. I'm very picky about my distortion tone and absolutely hate most of the top selling boxes I've tried as they just sound too digital and harsh to my ears. This one doesn't. Anyway, it may be more than you need but look into it.

Delay: I use the Line 6 Echo Park- again, versatile, with various modes, and has tap tempo. I like it quite a bit. If you're a purist, though, anything Line 6 probably isn't for you, but worth a look as it's relatively inexpensive for a Delay at $150.

Chorus: I just have a plain old Boss CH-1 Super Chorus that serves my purposes fine. A friend has the Visual Sound H20, a combination chorus and echo, and it sounds great. Economical, too, as it handles delay and chorus duties. Someone suggested the Small Clone from EHX, which is a pedal a lot of people like, but a word of caution- I've heard a LOT of complaints about the Nano Small Clone. If you get the Clone, the big one is probably the way to go here.

Phaser: This one isn't too hard of a choice- you mostly have the EHX Small Stone or the MXR Phase 90. I have a Small Stone, which I like, but I believe the Phase 90 is a bit more subtle. It depends what you're after- as with every pedal. [Shameless plug: I have an ad on the Sweetwater Trading Post for an extra Nano Small Stone of mine right now at $58. If that's the way you're going to go, check out the ad and email me. Sorry in advance if mentioning that is frowned upon here!]

Wah: I like my Dunlop 535Q- again, versatility is a big deal for me and this pedal has it. Also check out the MXR/Dunlop (dunno who's name is really on it) Custom Audio Electronics Wah. Also, there are of course the Vox options, but I don't know much about those.

EQ: MXR 10 band seems to be the way to go, here.

Noise Gate: Don't use one so don't know. Sorry.

Also, as far as the Bad Monkey goes, if you decide you want that there's a rebate offer from Digitech going on until January where you can buy one of their fancy pedals- the HarmonyMan harmonizer or Timebender delay and get one of 5 of their cheap pedals free, one of which is the BM. If you think you'll get one of those eventually, may be worth doing (though not cheap). They also have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on cheaper pedals going on, too- they must be hurting for sales lately (but who isn't, I guess).

EDIT: Also, if you're looking for a board itself, there's a Coffin Case model, SK-110B, that's been marked down. Dunno if it's on clearance or something, but most online sites have had it selling at 50 bucks for a while. It's a pretty decent deal, though not powered or anything. I've got two.

Thanks for all the great suggestions man. I have heard that the V4 OCD has a bunch of gain in it and acts more as a distortion than a O/D. I'll look into that promotion through Digitech if I decide to go with one of those more expensive pedals. Do you know if it also applies to their Hardwire line too?
These may be a smidge out of your price range, but totally worth it:

- Xotic AC booster(boost)
- EHX Memory Boy(delay)
- EHX Small Clone(chorus)
- MXR Phase 90(phaser)
- Fulltone Clyde(wah)
- 10 Band MXR EQ
- ISP Decimator
- Malekko Spring Chicken

You are going to here some of these pedals alot. I would start with the OD, wah, and Eq.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by thrasher.
Thanks for all the great suggestions man. I have heard that the V4 OCD has a bunch of gain in it and acts more as a distortion than a O/D. I'll look into that promotion through Digitech if I decide to go with one of those more expensive pedals. Do you know if it also applies to their Hardwire line too?

The only thing I'd really ever use an OCD for would be \very light overdrive from the pedal, and as a straight-up gain tightener. I didn't really like it for anything else .

Delay: Used Skreddy Echo, Malekko Echo Dark or Bright (since you have a JCM, maybe the bright?)

If you wanted reverb, I'd be leery of the Holy Grail.. last few I played were kinda noisy. The TRex Tonebug is supposedly very good; I haven't tried it yet.

Noise reduction... Can't really go wrong with a good ol' ISP.

If you're going all out and getting an EQ too, I'd get a rack EQ over a pedal. I'm looking at the DBX 15 band atm, and really like what I'm seeing.

My 0.02. I wouldn't listen to me though. I tend to change quickly on pedals I love and hate . Day to day for me

EDIT: As for the wah, I have major GAS for the CAE MC-404.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--