Poll: Do You Need Theory?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do You Need Theory?
Yes
26 50%
No
26 50%
Voters: 52.
Do you guys think completely mastering music theory is necessary to become a "famous" musician? or just dirty at your instrument(s). you obviously need to know the scales, chords, ect. but learning how to read music and all that shit, do you guys find necessary? peace and love
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Plenty of famous musicians don't know how to read music
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
It's not necesarry. Learning scales and chords and everything will just further your ability to write interesting music. If you want to become "famous" just by playing in your band, you would probably never need to know how to read music. If you want to become a big time studio musician or something like that, it would probably be good to know.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by ripdime04
Do you guys think completely mastering music theory is necessary to become a "famous" musician? or just dirty at your instrument(s). you obviously need to know the scales, chords, ect. but learning how to read music and all that shit, do you guys find necessary? peace and love

No, mastering music theory and all that shit is not necessary to become a famous musician.
shred is gaudy music
Not at all dude. There's so many famous musicians that don't know jack about theory.
The longer you've been playing you develop an ear. Even though you not know what you're playing, you can compose and come up with some pretty cool licks and phrases!

However, Music theory helps tremendously in just about everything. It's done wonders for me!
You are assuming that you need good songs to become a famous musician. This is incorrect.

Learning theory will help you play your instrument and create songs.

Hard work, publicity and a heap of luck will make you a rockstar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ripdime04
Reading music =/= music theory.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
A lot of musicians do not know theory, but everyone uses theory. It is impossible to play without using music theory. Take SRV for example, he has said that he knew very little theory. But he plays the right notes, he is playing the scales without realizing it. A little bit is helpful to get started and play together with the rest of your band. You will just pick some up as you play through the years whether you want to or not.
Quote by MR. Goodcents
A lot of musicians do not know theory, but everyone uses theory. It is impossible to play without using music theory. Take SRV for example, he has said that he knew very little theory. But he plays the right notes, he is playing the scales without realizing it. A little bit is helpful to get started and play together with the rest of your band. You will just pick some up as you play through the years whether you want to or not.

True, and while Slash says he never learnt theory, his solos and licks are a combination of widely used scales used by every guitarist.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Music Theory isn't an all or nothing subject, learn what you need, and what will help you out the most and leave it at that. If you want to learn more, then do so.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
There is no musician that doesn't know music theory.

I think you mean "do you need to know everything about music theory?".

No you don't, you don't need to do anything. If anything, whatever weird, random stuff you make up could end up being another branch of music theory in the future.
Quote by Super Hero
It is not a question of need. Understanding theory makes music more fun. Who needs calculus?

All kinds of mathematicians, engineers, and scientists need calculus. Without it, the majority of our technology would not be developed to where it is.

TS, you do not "need theory". Typically people who become famous become famous because of how well run their band is, and not because they make the best music (although the music still needs to be decent). Its often more of a non-musical affair than a musical one. Also, when writing songs, knowing theory does not make them good. Knowing theory will often help you writing, because you will be experienced with the sounds, and know how to get the sound you want right away. You're writing should become much quicker, which usually leads to people being able to put more thought into the music which makes it better. Theory will also help you communicate your ideas more efficiently to other musicians. It is still possible to make good music knowing next to no theory; it just takes a hell of a lot longer to do.

Why does it matter anyway? If theory interests you or you feel yourself being held back by your lack of knowledge in it, learn it. If not, don't waste your time. Don't expect your musical ability to get you famous though. Most amazing musicians never get anywhere. You need to be a good person to work with, that knows all the aspects of making music, not just music, and you need to get lucky to get signed. There's next to no chance of you (or any of us) becoming famous musicians. I'd advise you to accept that, and enjoy music as a hobby.
Having a minimal basic knowledge of theory will HELP you to become a good player. Becoming a good player can HELP you become famous. It all goes hand in hand. Being a theory master is not necessary, though.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
Music theory really does nothing to you creatively, however, it really helps you express your ideas. For instance, you want to play a song that sounds "happy," you might want to use the major scale. If you know your theory, it'll be a quicker process in finding the notes you want to use in that song, since you know which notes are the in the major scale.

Its not necessary, but it could probably help you a lot.
Luck is crap. You have to make your own luck, get the pawns in the right positions and work hard, get a good music lawyer and management, but not before doing endless self-promotion and being determined as hell.

TS - You don't NEED theory. but it helps immensely in the creative and songwriting department. It gives your music more depth. It helps you understand higher melodic and harmonic concepts. It helps you communicate with other musicians. I highly recommend if you have any interest in pursueing a musical career, you learn this shit.
Learning theory happens whether you actually study it directly or not.
404: Sig not found.
There's plenty of famous musicians who never formally learnt theory, but if you're aim is to become a famous musician then imho you'd be a fool to ignore anything that might possibly help you get there - including learning as much theory as you can.
Quote by ChrisN
Learning theory happens whether you actually study it directly or not.

To an extent.. don't expect to understand complex chords and scales without studying them though.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
however if your a drummer then no but you really shoudn't if you don't
it's depressing to see a drummer who gets confused by triplets
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)