Page 1 of 2
How do I create cab impulses?

I'm looking for a fredman mic impulse. Like In Flames Clayman or Colony.
I googled and found a pretty good one but it's not crisp and clear enough. It's like a high treble one.
Last edited by Clay-man at Nov 27, 2009,
well to make them you record a burst of white noise with whagtever mic/cab combination you want (or if you plan on using them for general reverb you want ot use a mic with the flattest EQ response you can get.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you can't get a good tone with those impulses, you need to give up this recording shit pretty much right now. Those impulses pretty much do 99.9999% of the work for you. Jesus..
Quote by CatharsisStudio
you are doing it wrong then

or he just doesn't like the results he's getting for whatever reason, I've never found most "cab simulator" progrmas (which tend to be based on freeverb) to be that satisfactory myself.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
or he just doesn't like the results he's getting for whatever reason, I've never found most "cab simulator" progrmas (which tend to be based on freeverb) to be that satisfactory myself.

Or he's doing it wrong.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

If you can't get a good tone using those impulses, you need to give up. Full stop.
It's still no substitute for a real miced cab, but even then, an impulse of a cab miced up by one of the most talented mic'ers ever, or real miced cab recorded by an absolute ****ing amateur?
Lesser of two evils.
No need for harsh replies.
Last edited by Clay-man at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Dream Pin
If you can't get a good tone using those impulses, you need to give up. Full stop.
It's still no substitute for a real miced cab, but even then, an impulse of a cab miced up by one of the most talented mic'ers ever, or real miced cab recorded by an absolute ****ing amateur?
Lesser of two evils.

I can get a pretty mediocre tone, but I can do much better sticking an SM-57 in front of one of my amps. I can easily see how someone used to hearing professionally produced stuff would expect better.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 22, 2009,
I'm getting close to what I want, but I've heard cab impulse demos that sounded better. That's what I'm saying.

It sounds great, it just bugs me that people are doing it a bit better than I'm getting.

I'm using the MK3 revalver by Peavey. 6505 amp. Can't get much better than that unless I had the real thing.

edit:
So far I'm using these
http://www.esnips.com/doc/3dcd3d7c-8a11-484a-9256-0e6293b035c5/Fredman-Impulses

and they're pretty good.

Also Clayman is quadtracked so that's another thing.
Last edited by Clay-man at Nov 22, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I can easily see how someone used to hearing professionally produced stuff would expect better.

You say that like expecting shit to be decently recorded is a bad thing.
Quote by Clay-man
I'm getting close to what I want, but I've heard cab impulse demos that sounded better. That's what I'm saying.

It sounds great, it just bugs me that people are doing it a bit better than I'm getting.

I'm using the MK3 revalver by Peavey. 6505 amp. Can't get much better than that unless I had the real thing.

edit:
So far I'm using these
http://www.esnips.com/doc/3dcd3d7c-8a11-484a-9256-0e6293b035c5/Fredman-Impulses

and they're pretty good.

Also Clayman is quadtracked so that's another thing.

those are guitar hacks try mine as mentioned above and use the s-preshigh
Quote by Dream Pin
You say that like expecting shit to be decently recorded is a bad thing.

wait, what?

All I'm saying is that I can see how some people would be underwhelmed by cab simulators, especially seeing how over hyped they are on this forum.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
wait, what?

All I'm saying is that I can see how some people would be underwhelmed by cab simulators, especially seeing how over hyped they are on this forum.

There's all of 5 people on UG who I'd think would be able to tell the difference.
Quote by Dream Pin
There's all of 5 people on UG who I'd think would be able to tell the difference.

It's really not that hard if you know what to listen for...

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It's really not that hard if you know what to listen for...

True factz. Except nobody on UG has any idea of what to listen for.
Well just because there's a small difference between real and fake ones, doesn't mean it sounds like shit.

I can't afford a 2k dollar amp.
It's not the cab, it's the fact that you're A. Using revalver and B. Using revalver's impulse loader.

Revalver is freaking fantastic, but you have to know how to use it. First Dl boogex and use that, or use a lepou cab loaded into the VST sim.

For an impulse, I rarely use much besides this 1960A one here: http://www.esnips.com/web/Splat88SpeakerCabinetImpulses

The presence is fairly nice and if not, you can google a diezel one.

If you would like to try to work with revalver's own presets, you should be able to get a non thick/muddy tone with just revalver's speaker sims. Try the triple x cab and switch some knobs around and see what you can do, also make use of the 3q and 8q, as well as the R2 reverb and stereo effects. They add some ambiance if you want to remove low end but still have definition and chug.

If none of this works, try using a vst plugin head, preferably one from acmebargig or nick. I find that it is quite difficult to get a bad metal tone on the series 60 or a bad vintage tone on the tater head, no matter what impulse it runs through.
Hey dudes, I have also been trying out impulses recently, here is what I came up with -

This one is 7170 and ryan's good impulse - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OGLCMS3T

This one is using LePou's Solo C and Guitarhack's impulses - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V3TR2ZS8

This one is using the new AcmeBarGig G-Spot and Guitarhack's impulse - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JHMS0440

And this one i'm not sure what it is using - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KNVQQIY

Let me know what you think, I personally think most of them are pure shit.

Try to ignore the drums, they are DFH, someone will be putting them through SSD in a few days and the guitar tracks will be reamped through a motherf*cking marshall in a few days as well!
Quote by Clay-man
Well just because there's a small difference between real and fake ones, doesn't mean it sounds like shit.

I can't afford a 2k dollar amp.

That's exactly it. There's a tiny difference that nobody except audio engineers who've trained themselves to hear stupid insignificant details.
To anyone else, if there is a difference to be heard it's so insignificant that it doesn't matter anyway.

And yeah, I have a 5150, but I get more than usable tones with Revalver and ryan's fredman impulses. If you can't, you're just making excuses.

Use TSS, revalver's 6505 and s-presigh loaded into kefir. Set the input voltage to 420 (look at my VST amp sim tutorial and go to the revalver section to learn how.) Set the gain to an appropriate level, leave everything all at 5 and you'll have a ****ing sick tone already. Twist some knobs and it only gets better.
Well then I guess I am doing it wrong.
Like that guy said I was using Revalver for impulses, not boogex.
It ends up sounding close, but still a bit muffled/not as clear/not as sharp/whatever is the right term.

I'll check your tutorial and follow by that. Thanks.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
**** boogex, use kefir or Lecab

These two are my favourites, theres a few bugs with LeCab though.
Brutally overgained, lets see your chain, what the hell are you doing to that thing?
I probably should have waited until I got a good recording device before posting this topic.

I'm using no distortion besides the peavey 6505 loaded with "Crunchy lead.amp_peavey6505"

Chain: RevalverMk3, Voxengo Stereo Touch, BuzMaxi3.
Last edited by Clay-man at Nov 23, 2009,
Well I think it's going to be pretty impossible for me to get an actual good tone by how I'm recording right now.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
if you are using kefir your mix isn't on 100% on the cab

That's definitely what it sounded like.
I used Impulses for a long time, actually collected about 1600 in my "Impulses" folder (from around the net). Then I bought a Boss GS-10 - when I use my GS-10 as my interface it sounds better without loading them? I can disable the CABS in my GS-10 menus by setting the speaker option to NONE/DIRECT, but it still sounds better without the impulses... what's up with that? My Boss cabs sound FAT and RICH - before I got the Boss I was using my Presonus INSPIRE but since getting it I no longer use Impulses. Does that mean my GS-10 is just GREAT or am I doing something wrong - anyone know?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Page 1 of 2