Okay so my band needs to use backing tracks live (Strings, Orchestra, ect) and so how would we do that?

What I've heard to do is get a click track and the orchestra track together and have the output of the click track going into the drummers ear with headphones and the orchestra track out the PA. Couldn't you achieve the same with a Brain head for drums and just get a audio splitter?
A click track for the drummer would be a good idea if you're going to be using a recording of orchestration from start to finish, though the headset may look a bit odd. Another idea you might consider is having sample triggers on a MIDI controller that correspond to the tempo of the piece. Just sample and array the orchestra tracks to different keys of the controller and the rest is up to your precision as to when you trigger the samples. Just some ideas
Wow that sounds really annoying. Every time you play the songs on stage you'll have to play it at precisely the right tempo. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Edit: I'm assuming you have an orchestra track that comes in somewhere half way through the tune.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Wow that sounds really annoying. Every time you play the songs on stage you'll have to play it at precisely the right tempo. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Edit: I'm assuming you have an orchestra track that comes in somewhere half way through the tune.

I've done that in the past, really wasn't a big deal. If anything, it made the band as a whole sound much tighter, as we were just NAILING the tempo during those songs.
Quote by koslack
I've done that in the past, really wasn't a big deal. If anything, it made the band as a whole sound much tighter, as we were just NAILING the tempo during those songs.

Nice!

I'm still not game to try click tracks outside the studio though
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
We have a song right now that has a keyboard part near the end of the song. Right now our singer has his iPod hooked up through the PA system and he quickly goes over and starts the sample for the part. Luckily for us he doesn't have to sing right before or after though so it's not hard for him to do this.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")