hey ive been wanting to play thrash metal (early metallica type stuff) any ideas about what techniques or songs to start working on?
Palm muting and power chords are a must.

Also, if you wanna try making up your own little licks learn the patterns for the minor pentatonic scale, presuming you don't already know it.

Also, learning the notes for E minor on the low E and A strings will help you in making your own power chord riffs, that's because most Metallica songs are in the key of E minor.

Enjoy!
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Practice your triplets. Make sure you can get them fast, clean, and especially in time. As cliche as it is, practice the famous Raining Blood riff by Slayer
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Eighth note down picking and pedal tones off the low E and A are quite popular in thrash also.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
For songs to work on, check out "Holier Than Thou" by Metallica. Simple for thrash, but really helps your techniques

(^ the end of the world)
Quote by nedthehead
Practice your triplets. Make sure you can get them fast, clean, and especially in time. As cliche as it is, practice the famous Raining Blood riff by Slayer

oK is there like a trick to doing fast pm's without ur wrist geting tired?
practice... a lot
MY BAND

Quote by RU Experienced?

I love running down the street with my enormous mangled clit jiggling in the breeze.
not really. the wrist muscle just has to get strong. practice a lot, let it get well tired (if it hurts instead of burns, stop). be sure to use the wrist and not the elbow.
check out this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RYd1FKYclw
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 22, 2009,
just practice really slow at first and start building up your speed, make sure you keep your movements small and efficient and stay relaxed as you practice.
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Don't just learn and listen to metallica, also check out Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, Kreator and any other bands you can find; metallica are good but I personally find their definition of "thrash" a bit bland sometimes, especially in the solos.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't just learn and listen to metallica, also check out Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, Kreator and any other bands you can find; metallica are good but I personally find their definition of "thrash" a bit bland sometimes, especially in the solos.

This. Spice it up a bit with some early Blind Guardian as well, their first few albums are pretty thrashy, but the lead guitars are pretty unique (check out "Follow the Blind" and "Tales from the Twilight World"
Quote by Fraserwatt
This. Spice it up a bit with some early Blind Guardian as well, their first few albums are pretty thrashy, but the lead guitars are pretty unique (check out "Follow the Blind" and "Tales from the Twilight World"

Everyone should listen to Blind Guardian anyway... because Hansi is unbelievably awesome.

While we're on the subject of the more power-metal-y side of things... listen to Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards, both of them have Jon Schaffer who is, as far as I'm concerned, the absolute epitome of everything a 'rhythm' guitarist should be.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Slayer-Raining blood, Black Magic, South of Heaven
Metallica-Master of Puppets, Am I Evil, Disposible Heros
All of them have some good thrash techniques in them.
Use your wrist, not your elbow, its faster and more accurate.
If your wrist/arm starts to hurt, take a break, listen to some metallica, slayer, or megadeth and realize how much you still need to learn so that you won't suck. This should give you some motivation.
Good luck with the thrash!

Edit: and For Whom the Bell Tolls- Metallica for rythm. Its just really fun to do James' part on it for some reason.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by smartalec007 at Nov 23, 2009,
tbh, I think Master of Puppets, Raining Blood, etc. are a bit difficult for a starting guitarist, especially if you try to downpick it all.

Metallica - Seek and Destroy is an excellent, fairly easy song to learn, minus the double time part.
...I like metal.
i actually started learning guitar by playing master of puppets..it ****ed me up though because now i downpick everything
Many Thrash Metal bands cite Venom in their influences. They were probably the most extreme band at that time and I think that they played a big part in starting Thrash. Before them there was NWOBHM and some punk that also contributed a lot.
Lots of power chords. Palm muting. Alternating between palm mutes in between riffs. Good luck, thrash rocks.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken