So I'm not really sure if this is where I should post this, so correct me if I am wrong.

So me, a bassist, my guitarist friend, and my drummer friend, are in a prog metal band, but were asked to play some jazz at a few coffee houses and the like, we like jazz and were happy to oblige, but don't know any tunes that can be played with just our three instruments, I can play trumpet, but then there would be no bass. Song suggestions please?
Buy a fake book and arrange the tunes for you three. Plenty of jazz records are just combos of a guitarist, drummer, and a bassist. Given, the guitarist mainly takes the melodies unless you are like a Jaco.
well really any jazz song can be played with a trio like that. Joe Pass could do any song by himself on guitar and sound great

yeah id suggest getting the Real Book by hal leonard.

you should probably keep in mind that jazz takes many years to master, or even play acceptably.....

its not something you can just jump into one day and say "hey look im a jazz musician!"

and guessing by your question, you're not familiar with the art, but recognizing that is the first step to the wonderful world of jazz.

check out these videos for some great trio action to see what can be done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74Q07Uu-lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgwe8lSTgw
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Almost ANY jazz tune can be played with that instrumentation. Guitar takes the head, bass walks the changes and drums hold it down. A fake book is really all you need.

Start with some standards like:
Autumn Leaves
Blue Bossa
Take the 'A' Train
Blue Monk
I Got Rhythm
Watermelon Man
Summertime
The Girl from Ipanema

And of course if you're up to it... Giant Steps.
Sig What?
cant go wrong with dave brubeck-take five

+1 to the suggestions above. it would be beneficial if you added a keyboardist with some jazz knowledge but you could do renditions of classics as a trio. watching the above videos now...

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Thanks for all the replys, we'll probobly end up getting a fake/Real book, and we already had take five, autumn leaves, and take the A train, so thanks for re-assuring our answers, and were all jazz competent, we just haven't played anything except that the guitarist's teacher feeds us. lol.
Quote by kibatsume
Thanks for all the replys, we'll probobly end up getting a fake/Real book, and we already had take five, autumn leaves, and take the A train, so thanks for re-assuring our answers, and were all jazz competent, we just haven't played anything except that the guitarist's teacher feeds us. lol.

yeah. You guys'll do fine! Just look up a list of jazz standards. Also some contemporary songs like SOul Bossa Nova (the austin powers theme) and Alfie's Theme are really fun little tunes that are great to impro to and will have audiences humming along.
Yeah we have a few funk lines that we jam over so the swing feel is easily achieved, and I can play upright, but sadly am dirt poor and don't own one of my own, so thats out of the question. So far I'm thinking buy a fake book, learn to walk, swing, and abuse extended triads. Got it. Anything else I should know?