... or probably not.
But anyways, what I'm trying to get an idea of is where I'm headed in terms of looking for a new amp.
I've been trying out as many as I can, but nothing has truly caught my attention yet.
I'm not necessarily trying to buy one tomorrow, so time isn't a problem, and in that case, money really isn't either, although I'd like to shoot for somewhere under $800.
I'm essentially just looking for some guidance; I'm feeling kind of lost.

Basically, metal is my first calling in music. The amp would need to handle what you might call "modernized" types of distortion well (I have a Peavy Bandit 112 from the 90's that does classic rock and 80's thrash great). Getting slightly compressed leads and heavy chugging lows is sort of my aim here. Think: All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Opeth (heavy tones), Trivium.

Secondly, I do play a LOT of clean things, ranging from your bright Paramore tones, to dark Opeth tones, to saturated Bullet/Killswitch tones. Also, if it could get into the territory of some nice lightly distorted overdrive kind of tones, such as for more relaxed solos and almost blues-rock kind of stuff with slight breakup.

Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY my second calling is punk, and this is what I REALLY need the amp to do well (since my current one is terrible in this category). I would want something along the lines of a crunchy mid-range distortion that's bright, but can also get chunky in a lighter sense (we're not talking metal here). Think: Cartel/Paramore/Falloutboy/MyChemicalRomance and then some of the cleaner tones you hear from Opeth or Mastodon.

I realize that no one amp does everything perfectly, so if you read this and get excited about telling me about an amp that does only one or two of the above really well, then by all means, recommend away! Just give me an idea of what your recommendation is aimed at in terms of what I want out of it. If you are thinking of a really simple amp, such as a Blackheart little giant (I'm up for getting into modifying amps, too) then let me know what kind of pedalboard additions would help me achieve my tonal goals.

If this is of any importance, I'm playing through a Jackson Dinky DK2 with a JB and 2 single coils. I've got a so so Boss EQ pedal and a DOD Malmsteen preamp overdrive and a Boss DS-1, so not too much in the way of pedals as is.

Hey, if anybody actually reads this wall of text and replies, THANK YOU.
Since you want cleans and you play a lot of punk, I think you should go with a Single Rectifier. I've seen the 1x12 combos for that on my local Craigslist for $800-900, so if you can stretch your budget just a little bit, I think you'd have a great amp there. It can also do the metal you play, if you throw that overdrive in front to tighten up your low end.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I guess I'm slightly confused... are you talking about something like one of the 5:25 combo amps from mesa boogie?
Oh, okay. I was looking at mesas on the Sweetwater website and ran into the recto-verb.

I mean, hell, it looks like an amazing amp, but that is pushing it for the money, so I'm gonna need to think about that one for a while.
It does have a lot of tonal options from the looks of things...
From your experience, what makes this amp worth it?
I strongly suggest that you play one for yourself. It's an amp I was considering for a while before the 6505+, and if I had the money I would certainly have both. The cleans are pretty good - certainly better than the 6505+. It does mid-gain modern stuff - rock, alternative, punk - quite well. Modern high-gain is also doable but the low-end is a little bit more loose and airy than the 6505+. This is inherent with Rectifiers, but I've heard it can be remedied by boosting with an overdrive/Tubescreamer pedal (haven't tried personally).

I opted to pursue the 6505+ in the end because I pretty much exclusively play metal and cleans are not my #1 priority. You may want to consider the new 6505+ 1x12 combo ($600 new) if you'd be willing to sacrifice clean quality a bit. It can also do mid-gain stuff if you knock the preamp gain down a little, despite popular opinion that it can't.
Axe-FX Standard
Well, the suggestion has greatly turned me on to checking the amp out, but man, I don't know, it just seems a little out of my league. I've only got about $450 right now, and that amp is something I could maybe see myself getting further down the road.
I'll keep an eye out for one, though, as well as a 6505.
Just out of curiosity, what pedals do you use in your rig?
Anything I can learn about how people get their tones is useful.
I have an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and a MXR Carbon Copy analog delay. I mostly used the first two with my previous rig (Orange Tiny Terror) to boost it into modern metal territory and keep the noise under control.

I've found that I don't really use the TS9 or the NS-2 much anymore on the 6505+. This was one of the reasons I opted for this specific amp - it can get the tone I want without a boost. (I'm not using the NS-2 because for home use, the noise is bearable.) This is not to say that the Recto doesn't have a healthy amount of gain on tap as well - it just has a different sound to it when unboosted.
Axe-FX Standard
If your budget allows also check out an Uberschall. Focused mids and powerful lows, soaring leads and much more versatile than people give it credit for.