Hey so for English class I have to write an essay about Macbeth to pretty much prove i actually read the book. I get the jist of it, but I'm not the best writer and could use some help from anyone willing to give it (even those of the god forsaken pit).

The topic I was given:

Who is to blame for the tragedy of macbeth? Select 3 people and provide two arguments for each.

my thesis: Macbeth is a character who was at first an honorable, good-natured general, but through the influence of Lady Macbeth, the meddling of the three witches, and his own misgivings, he became a murderous tyrant.

I know where I want to go with the body paragraphs, but I could use some help with the rest of the introductory paragraph. We're learning this writing system thing where the introductory paragraph goes from general to specific ending with the thesis and I don't really get it. Any help would be great.

thanks
MEOW
Quote by HeyItsChenny
Hey so for English class I have to write an essay about Macbeth to pretty much prove i actually read the book. I get the jist of it, but I'm not the best writer and could use some help from anyone willing to give it (even those of the god forsaken pit).

The topic I was given:

Who is to blame for the tragedy of macbeth? Select 3 people and provide two arguments for each.

my thesis: Macbeth is a character who was at first an honorable, good-natured general, but through the influence of Lady Macbeth, the meddling of the three witches, and his own misgivings, he became a murderous tyrant.

I know where I want to go with the body paragraphs, but I could use some help with the rest of the introductory paragraph. We're learning this writing system thing where the introductory paragraph goes from general to specific ending with the thesis and I don't really get it. Any help would be great.

thanks

The stuff i have made bold is basically what you should use for for introduction. Only make it more coherent and strech it out a little.

Stuff in red is your paragraphs...

Sum it up at the end for a conclusion..

AND YOUR DONE!
ok i'll summarise. Prince and princess are chilling, wizard comes and puts a curse on prince, which turns him into a dragon. It is not explained why the wizard does this but I assume shit went down with prince and wizard. So the prince and princess can't kiss because his hot breath. This brings much angst to the prince as he isn't get any and has major blue balls. The story ends with David Hasslehoff spearing the dragon through the heart with a stake (many people think this only works with vampires, however vampires weren't invented when shakespeare wrote macbeth). The play ends with a big music with the hoff (who is now the new prince) singing a song about slaying dragons to the tune of My Sharona, (he plays a strat btw, don't know if this is an important detail or not.)

Good Luck!
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
ok funny enough I did that essay last month, I have to go now but iL email it to you in an hour, PM me
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by HeyItsChenny

The topic I was given:

thanks

Okay the general discussion is who is to blame for the tragedy. You would talk about how power corrupts morality and use Macbeth and Lady Macbeth as examples for this. You then be specific about Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, and the weird Sisters. What they did for this to happen, but be brief about it.

You then re-phrase your thesis, don't repeat it, it becomes too repetitive when you do that at the end of each paragraph. Something you shouldn't do when you try to write a good essay.

In the Introduction you introduce the discussion and then your main points.
The best Shakespeare line is from that play:
"Stars, hide your fires. Let not light see my dark and deep desires".
Pure win.

Good luck on the essay! Should be fine. With your thesis it seemed like you're on the right track.
now theres a play i hated

stupid english retarded subject

engineers ftw!!

actually i have to memorize a section of a poem for "communications" class tmoro, i feel cheated by the stereotype that engineers know zero english D:
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
The stuff i have made bold is basically what you should use for for introduction. Only make it more coherent and strech it out a little.

AND YOUR DONE!

thanks man, makes a lot of sense

ok i'll summarise. Prince and princess are chilling, wizard comes and puts a curse on prince, which turns him into a dragon. It is not explained why the wizard does this but I assume shit went down with prince and wizard. So the prince and princess can't kiss because his hot breath. This brings much angst to the prince as he isn't get any and has major blue balls. The story ends with David Hasslehoff spearing the dragon through the heart with a stake (many people think this only works with vampires, however vampires weren't invented when shakespeare wrote macbeth). The play ends with a big music with the hoff (who is now the new prince) singing a song about slaying dragons to the tune of My Sharona, (he plays a strat btw, don't know if this is an important detail or not.)

lay off the shrooms...

nah who am i kidding... that was a masterpiece!

EDIT: can't keep up with all the replies cuz im actually attempting to write this shit, but thank you all very very much
MEOW
Last edited by HeyItsChenny at Nov 23, 2009,
Quote by geetar_man0

AND YOU'RE DONE!

Bolded part is wrong.

What makes a good conclusion is not a simple summary, or a restatement of the thesis. What makes a good conclusion is when you elaborate on the implications of your thesis. What makes a good conclusion is a conclusion where you wrap it up and make your readers think. Don't just summarize. That's the difference between a sixth grader's paper and a college student's paper.

The rest is basically right. Use the rest of it to prove your point.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
The best Shakespeare line is from that play:
"Stars, hide your fires. Let not light see my dark and deep desires".
Pure win.

I'm rather partial to "Do you think I meant country matters?" from Hamlet because it's so badass...

Okay, because I have an immature sense of humour.

Also, @JimmyBanks, being good at maths and sciences is no excuse for being bad at English . Just because engineers make more money doesn't mean that english degrees are dumb.
Okay, fine, it might mean that a little bit -- I'm going into engineering too.
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§
Bolded part is wrong.

What makes a good conclusion is not a simple summary, or a restatement of the thesis. What makes a good conclusion is when you elaborate on the implications of your thesis. What makes a good conclusion is a conclusion where you wrap it up and make your readers think. Don't just summarize. That's the difference between a sixth grader's paper and a college student's paper.

The rest is basically right. Use the rest of it to prove your point.

Yeah, that is what i meant by sum it up...

I didnt feel the need to go into detail. But i guess the need was there!
Quote by geetar_man0
Yeah, that is what i meant by sum it up...

I didnt feel the need to go into detail. But i guess the need was there!

Well, at least be specific. "Summarize" is such a general word.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Quote by speakers

Good Luck!

You forgot the part about that giant whale.
I'd give anything to be assigned those kinds of essays again. Rhetoric/Style Analyzing ftl

On topic, start with explaining what tragedy is, then narrow down to Macbeth and how it ties in generally, then name the examples. If you're having trouble with the conclusion, just reflect on how society in general can learn from the theme of Macbeth.
my one friend is a theater nerd and anytime he hears Macbeth he has to recite Hamlet's soliloquy or he has extremely bad luck for a brief period of time.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....