i have decided that i want to mic my cab and layer guitar tracks this go around instead of going straight in. what is the proper way to layer tracks? i've been told that when layering the same guitar parts on top of each other that the distortion level should be about half of what your live sound is so that when you layer them they wont get muddy.

any tips would be appreciated
are you playing track upon track. or recording multiple tracks then mixing them?

EIther way you need a good eqing. If possible use different guitars/ amps for each track so they stand out a little better. and yeah back off the gain.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
are you playing track upon track. or recording multiple tracks then mixing them?

EIther way you need a good eqing. If possible use different guitars/ amps for each track so they stand out a little better. and yeah back off the gain.

for leads i am just doing 1 track. all rhythm tracks will be layered at least 2-3 times. by layering i mean recording the same part multiple times and then playing them on top of each other.

can anyone explain why recording with your stage distortion doesn't sound good? i was asked why the other night and i don't have an answer
Quote by vjferrara
for leads i am just doing 1 track. all rhythm tracks will be layered at least 2-3 times. by layering i mean recording the same part multiple times and then playing them on top of each other.

can anyone explain why recording with your stage distortion doesn't sound good? i was asked why the other night and i don't have an answer

its a good idea to use less gain because by the time you've layered up 2-4 tracks of guitar, it will sound like a fizzy mess.
Layering guitar tracks is known to have started with Def Leppard's 1981 release High'n'Dry, produced by Mutt Lange. It's not an easy job.

Start by practicing layering upto 6 tracks of ***clean*** guitar before progressively adding gain to your guitar sound.

Eventually, once you've figured how much gain you want in your final layered track mix, when starting to record your final pile of layers, lay down the first 2 or 3 tracks clean and use them mixed together as monitor for the additional tracks with gain.

PS: Don't hesitate to record twice as many tracks as you plan to keep for your final mix, to allow you to discard the less tight.

Layering example 3,4 layered takes panned hard on each side.

http://www.teradepot.com/8b7uomxin77o/snowb.mp3.html
Last edited by ColdGin at Nov 24, 2009,
Also, make sure to use a click track! I know if may sound like common sense, but some people think they can do this stuff without it, and that's never the case. Ever.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by ColdGin
Layering guitar tracks is known to have started with Def Leppard's 1981 release High'n'Dry, produced by Mutt Lange. It's not an easy job.

Start by practicing layering upto 6 tracks of ***clean*** guitar before progressively adding gain to your guitar sound.

Eventually, once you've figured how much gain you want in your final layered track mix, when starting to record your final pile of layers, lay down the first 2 or 3 tracks clean and use them mixed together as monitor for the additional tracks with gain.

PS: Don't hesitate to record twice as many tracks as you plan to keep for your final mix, to allow you to discard the less tight.

Layering example 3,4 layered takes panned hard on each side.

http://www.teradepot.com/8b7uomxin77o/snowb.mp3.html

Zeppelin and les paul were layering tracks before def leopard where zygotes.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.